Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:24 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I think it should be mandatory. A large tax for not voting to cover costs of voting. Pay for new equipment and the pay of the people running the polls.

Would be a lot better then the GOP claiming a mandate, with only 30% of the eligible voters.
It might not be so bad if and it's a big IF people actually voted by policies and not freebies. If it's mandatory for every welfare person to vote......where will their votes be policies or freebies??

I have to say, it does seem Democrats are the ones who force policies upon people. Healthcare for one....... with no plan, except to give people very high deductibles and less care for their high premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
what Oregon has just done, which registers you to vote when you get a driver's or non driver's license in the state. Also, in Oregon, it is a mail in ballot state, so every registered voter will get a mail in ballot each election making it much easier for people to participate.
And what prevents a person from cruising down the block the day the ballots arrive via mail, collecting them, filling them out and dropping them in a mailbox somewhere?

Old 03-24-2015, 08:17 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I think you need to reread the post......it's not what was said!
Yep, the first part says you do, but it is the rest of your post that doesn't match. If you prove you are a citizen when you register, then why prove every time after?

Old 03-24-2015, 08:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Yep, the first part says you do, but it is the rest of your post that doesn't match. If you prove you are a citizen when you register, then why prove every time after?
And that would work if that were true but it's not.

You can register online by checking a box.
You can register by filling out that postcard and checking a box.

Neither case asks you to provide proof.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And what prevents a person from cruising down the block the day the ballots arrive via mail, collecting them, filling them out and dropping them in a mailbox somewhere?
The felony charges that would come from doing that. I will let you know when that actually happens.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that would work if that were true but it's not.

You can register online by checking a box.
You can register by filling out that postcard and checking a box.

Neither case asks you to provide proof.
Then there you go, when anyone legal or not can register, then that creates a problem down the line.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Then there you go, when anyone legal or not can register, then that creates a problem down the line.
And hence..Voter ID laws which mandate you show proof of who you are when you arrive to vote.

How did you register to vote ?

I remember filling out that postcard in the PO and mailing it off.
I've never been asked about citizenship all the years I've voted.

Not until last year did I have to show proof.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:27 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
The question is, why do other countries have mandatory voting?

At least two dozen countries have some form of compulsory voting, including Belgium, Brazil and Argentina. In many systems, absconders must provide a valid excuse or face a fine, although a few countries have laws on the books that allow for potential imprisonment.
Mandatory voting? Obama says it would be 'transformative' | CNS News

That sounds like one of the stupidest ideas on the planet. Why would any nation, anywhere, make voting mandatory? Not allowing women to drive makes more sense to me than that. Someone could at least make the argument that women are more likely to get into car accidents than men. There's no possible way to justify mandatory voting I can think of.

Yay! 100% of our population is voting (and 60% of them voted for whoever was tallest, or who had the best haircut).

I can't believe Obama's stupid enough to literally want mandatory voting to actually happen though. That's like Darwin Awards winner stupid. He's probably just talking before having any idea what he's actually saying.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:13 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
The felony charges that would come from doing that. I will let you know when that actually happens.
How would you know if it happens or not?

Do you believe you can only tell if it happens by if someone is charged?

I speed every single day, but if you judge whether I speed by if I am charged, I haven't broken any traffic laws in years.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And hence..Voter ID laws which mandate you show proof of who you are when you arrive to vote.

How did you register to vote ?

I remember filling out that postcard in the PO and mailing it off.
I've never been asked about citizenship all the years I've voted.

Not until last year did I have to show proof.
So illegal voters are allowed to register to vote, just not vote unless they have a valid ID, which in most cases a fake ID will do just fine. See the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies