Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 06:55 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
NOPE, at least I am not a Republican.............consider the D/R flim-flam game a sad joke.

The cat is out of the bag, the USA had the Lion's share of manufacturing world post WW2. Those days are LONG gone.............say hello to computer aided manufacturing, computer aided assembly, standardized manufacturing standards and a whole lot of other things that make it much easier for anything to be manufactured in many different parts of the world.

USA lost a LOT of its competitive edge a LONG time ago.

Go ahead, blame it on Rhonnie Rayguns and the TeahadliKKKans!
Because there is no money to be made in having investors and corporations working for America as well.
There is too much money to be made in emerging markets!

America loosing its "Competitive Edge" implies that "all" Americans are in the same boat though.
Record Wall Street Profits and Corporate Bonuses show a different story

If you invest in other countries or start corporations abroad then you need to pay for it if you live here or wish to sell to Americans.

Otherwise, just change your dam name to a Globalist and be done with it since country and nation means not a dam thing to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and do you think when we start throwing up tariffs, they won't respond in kind?????

Myself, I do not want to be FORCED to buy overpriced American JUNK.
Hello?
China already has tariffs on US Goods, where it will costs you 15 bucks for a box of Cheerios

They sell to us 4 times to us as much as we sell to them.

We were told, that with a population of 1 billion plus in China, millions of jobs would be created in the USA to cater to the extra consumers there.

Where are the Dam Jobs Globalists?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:07 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Because of high labour costs in the US (wages, health insurance) the manufacture of cheap goods and products like clothing have been outsourced to other countries like China, India and Africa.

And of the decent paying jobs in the US seem to be for those who are able to write computer code for software programs and webpages. There are also job openings for those in the medical professions. Advanced science and math skills are what's needed for the best US jobs, and most of our adult population aren't at that level. As it is, parents seem to be struggling to help their children with their schoolwork in science and math... so yeah, some of the blame has to fall on the shoulders of the Americans who are under-employed because they just don't seem motivated to learn those desirable job skills.

And for those content working at a Walmart or a Burger King, that sort of work isn't worth their industries paying them a real living wage.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:32 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I was watching Fox News last night and they had a panel that was going on a rant about how Americans are too lazy to acquire the skills to fill the enoooooourmous number of high-paying job openings in the United States, for which companies have to fill with H1B Visa workers because they "can't find any qualified Americans."

Now, let me explain something to those of you who grew up in previous generations and don't understand what the job market is like for young adults nowadays. It's hyper-competitve as there are so many Americans going to college, so many immigrants coming here to college (my college was about 40% Asians on student visas trying to get into the good programs and obtain work visas here), and, quite frankly, automation is making jobs irrelevant by the boatload.
Let me explain something to you who grew up in this generation: the job market has always been hyper competitive. You don't have special problems. You don't have a rough life that old folks just couldn't possibly understand.
Quote:
I did everything that society told me to -- got a STEM degree from a good school, acquired relevant skills, got an entry-level job in the tech sector -- and I can attest that it is still super-competitive to stay relevant in today's job market. Getting an entry-level job in the first place required me to fill out hundreds of applications and get lucky, since "entry-level" means having 5+ years of professional experience. I have to put in a lot of time outside of work to bolster my skills enough to stay relevant. If I even tried to travel the world for a month, I would probably fall through the cracks in society, be considered irrelevant for employment since I would have a "gap" on my resume (OMG! HE DIDN'T WORK FOR 1 MONTH! HE'S LAZY AND PROBABLY LOST ALL HIS SKILLS!!!! ).

I don't mean to focus on the tech sector exclusively. From what I understand, every single sector is over-saturated with job seekers and is raising experience requirements faster than people can possibly acquire the skills.

Of the tens of millions of unemployed and severely underemployed Americans, I guarantee that a lot of them would love to fill the roles that employers are supposedly so desperate to fill, and would be willing to do what it takes to learn the skills necessarily, but the opportunity just isn't there!
And yet, you no doubt plan to vote for a Democrat at the next opportunity. A Democrat who will dazzle you with rhetoric about how much of a victim you are. But once elected, that Democrat will vote to raise corporate taxes, increase the power of labor unions, prevent domestic energy production, and increase regulations on business. The result of that will be that the cost of doing business in America will compare poorly to the cost of doing business elsewhere and so the job market in America will be further squeezed. But then when that happens, the Democrat will tell you how sorry he is that greedy Republicans are making life so hard for you, and then you will vote him back into office again next time.

And a few decades from now, another new generation will come along and they will tell you that they have insurmountably great problems that you just couldn't possibly cope with or understand.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Because of high labour costs in the US (wages, health insurance) the manufacture of cheap goods and products like clothing have been outsourced to other countries like China, India and Africa.
Sorry, but I LOST the rest of your post because you started right out with blaming the ones that have no control over our economic policy but are the ones taking the brunt of it.

If Wall Street, The Mega Corporations of America and the Big Banks were taking a hit like many other Americans in this Globalist Utopia we are in, then I would say we are in the same boat.

Instead, what is happening is these vultures are richer than ever from Globalism, and also some are demanding everyone else to take another pay cut to prop their world up.

The Banks that infest DC did not want to take a paycut and had everyone prop them up.
Big Insurance and Pharma did not want to take a paycut and demanded their puppets make everyone pay, proven by the fact that they sit at the top of the Lobby Totem Pole.

It will not end there either

Another Puppet will Bail them out or QE will silently start up and the tax payer will be robbed

Last edited by J746NEW; 03-20-2015 at 09:25 PM..

Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Ah, yes...

The lazy, stupid, unqualified American worker meme.

It's nothing new. The right wing has been using this lie for decades, especially in their never ending attempts to destroy unions and justify offshoring. These guys love to hate Americans. A casual stroll through the threads and posts in this forum confirms it all too well.

And Fox News is their gospel.
Preach on my brother, preach on….

Old 03-20-2015, 09:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Yeah, and do you think when we start throwing up tariffs, they won't respond in kind?????

Myself, I do not want to be FORCED to buy overpriced American JUNK.

What do they make/produce, that we cannot make/produce?

You need to make america competitive, for americans.
Stay local!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Sorry, but I LOST the rest of your post because you started right out with blaming the ones that have no control over our economic policy but are the ones taking the brunt of it.

If Wall Street, The Mega Corporations of America and the Big Banks were taking a hit like many other Americans in this Globalist Utopia we are in, then I would say we are in the same boat.

Instead, what is happening is these vultures are richer than ever from Globalism, and also some are demanding everyone else to take another pay cut to prop their world up.

The Banks that infest DC did not want to take a paycut and had everyone prop them up.
Big Insurance and Pharma did not want to take a paycut and demanded their puppets make everyone pay, proven by the fact that they sit at the top of the Lobby Totem Pole.

It will not end there either

Another Puppet will Bail them out or QE will silently start up and the tax payer will be robbed
Ummm... even if there was unlimited funds for companies to dispense on hiring employees.... what would these jobs be? What gaping holes in the US are there that are being denied for lack of funds? Are you willing to pay a LOT more for your clothing, your smartphone and other electronics?

And what about blaming Americans for only buying what they want for the lowest possible price? To the point where instead of supporting a local shop, they run to Walmart or online to Amazon to buy it? Or for convenience, they buy from the website instead of the brick and mortar department store at the mall? And advanced technologies with better consumer printers have caused many some print shops to close. There are many factors as to why America has lost so many jobs over the decades.

And what's your gripe about "big insurance" and "pharma"? America has become an extremely litigious society full of ambulance chasing lawyers that cause malpractice insurance premiums to skyrocket. Then there were the huge insurance payouts for the natural disasters like Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy. As to pharmaceutical companies, well research and trials are expensive, then they also need to be ready should a drug have issues and they get sued. Plus they operate for the purpose of profit AND people with health issues beg and demand cures be found for their various health ailments. No drug company has a perfect track record, but overall most of them do good for a significant percentage of our population.

BTW other jobs that under-employed Americans could consider doing are ones in the trades, the ones that require a little muscle and getting ones hands dirty. But they shouldn't be passively waiting for the good old days to come back so that they can have their former jobs back.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What do they make/produce, that we cannot make/produce?

You need to make america competitive, for americans.
Stay local!
Pro American is so Old Fashion..You need to get with times and join the Globalist Crowd where the nation you are in nor the Constitution does not matter and who cares who pays for it.

[Smirk]

Old 03-20-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Ummm... even if there was unlimited funds for companies to dispense on hiring employees.... what would these jobs be? What gaping holes in the US are there that are being denied for lack of funds? Are you willing to pay a LOT more for your clothing, your smartphone and other electronics?

And what about blaming Americans for only buying what they want for the lowest possible price? To the point where instead of supporting a local shop, they run to Walmart or online to Amazon to buy it? .
Americans as well as Business have opted for the best bang for the buck. That has never changed. What has changed is Foreign Economic Policies brought to us by Corporate and Banking Lobbyists

In 1965, you could walk down to the specialty side of town and find all that China has to offer in a store the size of a Gas Station. Not so today though.

In 1970, 200 Corporate and Banking Lobby Offices existed in DC
In 2015, there are way over 2000 Corporate and Banking Lobby Offices in DC

If a couple hundred Americans put a stop to all Trade Agreements, you would be outraged because a few hundred could dictate foreign economic policy over everyone in this country but why do I not see no outrage when a few corporate heads instituted and wrote it.

What changed is our Foreign Economic Policy drafted by Multinational Corporations and Central Banking Lobbyists that wrote the dam policies

Last edited by J746NEW; 03-20-2015 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies