Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 04:19 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I have no doubt that the market for good jobs is an inherently competitive arena, but I doubt it has ever reached the level of competitiveness that it is at today. My jaw drops when I hear the older generation talk about how they walked into a high-paying job at IBM or Microsoft after getting a Bachelors in English. If they graduated today, they would be working as a barista.
You clearly don't work at IBM or Microsoft, or Google or any other largeish high tech company. They all recruit college grads, both as interns while they're still in school and as new hires once they graduate and they don't get hired at anywhere remotely near minimum wage.

Grads with worthless degrees don't get hired, grads with good grades in a valuable major do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 05:06 PM

615 posts, read 726,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You clearly don't work at IBM or Microsoft, or Google or any other largeish high tech company. They all recruit college grads, both as interns while they're still in school and as new hires once they graduate and they don't get hired at anywhere remotely near minimum wage.

Grads with worthless degrees don't get hired, grads with good grades in a valuable major do.
Where do we disagree? I'm saying the same thing that you are. Good jobs exist, but are increasingly competitive to obtain. Those internships are very, very competitive to obtain, and the idea of an internship as a prereq for an entry-level job is a relatively new concept. In fact, over the past couple years it has become common for internships to require prior internship experience.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:46 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No they didn't. I never went to college yet had a job and moved out when I was 18. And yeah, I would cry today because you just can't do that now.
Then perhaps you should consider stopping voting for the Democrats who made that impossible to do today.

But of course you won't do that. That would require you honestly examining your self righteous liberal worldview where you are a hero of the downtrodden and a champion of equality.

So instead you'll keep supporting the party that creates the very same problems you're upset about. That way you can continue to feel all warm and fuzzy inside about how morally courageous you are for standing up to all those nasty evil racists and corporatists in the right wing.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I am afraid at lowest levels and highest levels it true. I fact countries compete for the high level skills with immigration polices. No country really want dependent people.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:31 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
As though anyone here needs another lesson on the moral/ethical bankruptcy....the treason....of large corporations today.

But what is really fascinating is to watch the tools of the Republican party continue to celebrate their own demise in the streets.

UMMMMM, have you ever heard of thingies like CNC-welding?????

Go to Walmart and look at that 99 dollar mountain-bike.............see those perfect welds on that cheapo bike, they were done by a robot.

USA has lost its edge and it will only get worse.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Then we need to create tariffs so that they have some skin in the game if they want to sell back to the Americans they just ditched.

Otherwise, good luck selling your 650 dollar Iphones to the Chinese that make a dollar a day.

Chinese are entering the middle-class at a rapid rate.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:08 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
UMMMMM, have you ever heard of thingies like CNC-welding?????

Go to Walmart and look at that 99 dollar mountain-bike.............see those perfect welds on that cheapo bike, they were done by a robot.

USA has lost its edge and it will only get worse.
Like I said....fascinating to watch.

Kinda like watching the guy in the truck in "Duel" go off the cliff in an irrational quest to destroy his fellow man, blind to his own associated end.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:16 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I was watching Fox News last night and they had a panel that was going on a rant about how Americans are too lazy to acquire the skills to fill the enoooooourmous number of high-paying job openings in the United States, for which companies have to fill with H1B Visa workers because they "can't find any qualified Americans."

Now, let me explain something to those of you who grew up in previous generations and don't understand what the job market is like for young adults nowadays. It's hyper-competitve as there are so many Americans going to college, so many immigrants coming here to college (my college was about 40% Asians on student visas trying to get into the good programs and obtain work visas here), and, quite frankly, automation is making jobs irrelevant by the boatload.

I did everything that society told me to -- got a STEM degree from a good school, acquired relevant skills, got an entry-level job in the tech sector -- and I can attest that it is still super-competitive to stay relevant in today's job market. Getting an entry-level job in the first place required me to fill out hundreds of applications and get lucky, since "entry-level" means having 5+ years of professional experience. I have to put in a lot of time outside of work to bolster my skills enough to stay relevant. If I even tried to travel the world for a month, I would probably fall through the cracks in society, be considered irrelevant for employment since I would have a "gap" on my resume (OMG! HE DIDN'T WORK FOR 1 MONTH! HE'S LAZY AND PROBABLY LOST ALL HIS SKILLS!!!! ).

I don't mean to focus on the tech sector exclusively. From what I understand, every single sector is over-saturated with job seekers and is raising experience requirements faster than people can possibly acquire the skills.

Of the tens of millions of unemployed and severely underemployed Americans, I guarantee that a lot of them would love to fill the roles that employers are supposedly so desperate to fill, and would be willing to do what it takes to learn the skills necessarily, but the opportunity just isn't there!
First you have to describe what YOU mean by "rant"

Second 3 of my nieces/nephews graduated from college last year. After taking it easy for a few months EAH of them found good jobs WITHOUT going through what you describe in getting a job.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Like I said....fascinating to watch.

Kinda like watching the guy in the truck in "Duel" go off the cliff in an irrational quest to destroy his fellow man, blind to his own associated end.

Right, and let's stop technological advances and at the same time start a trade-war.....LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies