Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,713,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Golf and tin- I think you both did the right thing. You politely let them know that they were being offensive, they continued to be bigots and they got what they deserved. Golf, obviously, the moron finally understood what you were saying. He "got it" when you suggested the violence. Ya gotta speak in a language that they understand and for so many bigots, violence is their first language.

I'm not a violent person, but have learned that there is a time for it. I've used the threat of violence twice and my friends thought it was so out of character for me, but it solved the issue both times. Some people just need to have that line in the sand drawn a little deeper.
So anyone you deem a bigot does not deserve the same protections under the law that you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The thought never occured to me actually. We all lose eventually I have in fact been bested before. Didn't anyone ever teach you its not about win or lose its how you play the game that matters?
Believe it or not some people still understand honor. The constitution this the constitution that. When it was written the writers of the constituion would have challenge such a jerk to a duel to the death. If they were alive today no doubt they still would.
Something comes to mind. It may have been my father who said or I heard it else where. Don't let your mouth write a check your butt can't cash. That boy wrote such a check. He had the right to call the police bit chose not too. Wonder why? Could it be he realised he was a total jerk and deserved exactly what he got? Thats the assumption I would make if it happened to me for those same reasons.
Ok, to wrap things up...I have two closing thoughts.

First, if you walk around all day, letting people control you with their words, allowing yourself to get so worked up that you're willing to fight people because they express their opinions, it really just shows how weak-minded you are.

Second, internet trash talk is cheap...nobody is impressed with what you claim you did to this or that racist jerk.

So if all of you want to sit around with in this circle jerk, trying to impress others with how much you hate racism, go for it...as for me, I'll go back to laughing at all of you for how pathetic you sound.

"NO, NO, I hate racism more than YOU!!! I'd kick a racist butt if I heard him being racist!!"

lol, preach on, brother.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,249,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Ok, to wrap things up...I have two closing thoughts.

First, if you walk around all day, letting people control you with their words, allowing yourself to get so worked up that you're willing to fight people because they express their opinions, it really just shows how weak-minded you are.

Second, internet trash talk is cheap...nobody is impressed with what you claim you did to this or that racist jerk.

So if all of you want to sit around with in this circle jerk, trying to impress others with how much you hate racism, go for it...as for me, I'll go back to laughing at all of you for how pathetic you sound.

"NO, NO, I hate racism more than YOU!!! I'd kick a racist butt if I heard him being racist!!"

lol, preach on, brother.
Seems I got quite a few positive reps for no one being impressed with me. Not that I care but you brought it up.
If you feel okay with how you would respond thats on you. I have not judged you for it at least not much. Nor did I insult you for it as you have done to me. I didn't even threaten you in any way. Not bad for the knuckle dragger you take me for. I never claimed to want to kick any racists butt I ever met or heard. My claim was that I would not allow my wife to be hurt by such mentally or physically. Pathetic is relative. I would find it pathetic to watch a man allow his loved one to be tormented or humiliated and not react. In fact I have seen such things.
You live the way you wish and I honestly hope that you are never forced to endure mistreatment.
That said stay happy the world isn't always utopian. The ignorant prey upon the weak and feel justified doing so. Its often a fine line that seperates the victim from in the eyes of the bulley from next to not this time.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:08 PM

Ok, I know I said I was going to wrap it up in that last post, but this reply is worth responding to.

First, I didn't call you a knuckle dragger...I said that if you allowed the words of others to get you that riled up, then you are weak-minded. Maybe a fine line, but it's worth pointing out the distinction. If I am not getting you mixed up with another poster, it sounds like you had something of a rough childhood due to teasing and getting picked on...this undoubtedly has led you to be a little sensitive in that area. I get it. I still think it's a little silly to get that worked up, though.

Second, a direct insult on a loved one, yes, is different than someone simply using general racial slurs. No, momma jokes don't count. Yes, someone directly insulting me and my wife to my face does. Would I threaten someone with bodily harm for an insult? Probably not. If I felt threatened first? Well, I would do whatever I had to to eliminate the threat, of course. At my advanced age, though, I have decided that some things are worth fighting over and some things aren't. The drunken ramblings of an obviously unintelligent stranger? Um...no.

Ok, barring any response worth posts, I'm really wrapping it up with this.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:44 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,858,471 times
Well dunkel; I know you didn't direct your last post at me, just thought I would clear a few things up here:

I'm pushing 60, the trash talker is in his mid 60s, so it wouldn't have been a long fight, or much of one. Although I do have about 6 inches and 30-40 pounds on the little twirp.

It's not so much letting someone's "words control me", it's about letting others know when their behavior is beyond boorish. And when they're not willing to bring their behavior into "accepted" norms, that there could be consequences.

I don't go around looking for fights, haven't truly been in one since high school. But, after this many years on this earth, I do know where my limits are, and what kind of crap I'll listen to and what kind I won't.

Generally when I hear an uninformed boob spouting the ridiculous crap that he's picked up from watching Fox News or listening to Limbaugh I point out his errors. He is free to reject my advice, but I've found that most reasonable people will, when confronted with an opposing views, especially those backed up with facts and source material drop their ridiculous rants.

However, spouting complete BS (ie; Bill Clinton held up thousands of passengers at LAX while he got a haircut), is one thing. I've found when you tell those people that it's complete crap, and where they can find the facts, they will listen politely and may even go check it out for themselves.

However, you will get a different response when pointing out to someone that you don't wish to hear them using language that would have gotten them thrown out of the US military in the (long ago) 1970s, or fired from almost any Fortune 500 company since that time as well. I'm also pretty sure that this boob wouldn't have used this language around any of the women in the association, particularly the non-native American ones.

Sad to read so many posters on here who still think this kind of language is OK.

golfgod

Old 01-16-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post

Sad to read so many posters on here who still think this kind of language is OK.

golfgod
Sad to read so many posters on here who still think it's ok to inflict physical harm on those with differing opinions.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,147,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post

golfgod
Ooh I know you didn't just say that again. I don't believe you're actually reading other peoples' posts.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:25 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,802,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
You see, it might be accepted by you but I'm 100% positive it would not by someone who lives or has lived in a trailer, it's a racist statement agianst a certian group of people, so when you rag on someone else for being racist you should watch what you say yourself. Personaly I don't care what people say, I just choose not to get upset over someone speaking trash.
Racist equals slurs against a certain race, dawg.

I could see you point if it was "white trash", but trailer trash is equal opportunity. It is just a definition for any ignorant low class types.

I will certainly be careful to watch it though, thanks!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:46 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,921,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
golfgod- sounds like your friend doesn't have many ethnic friends.

Racist People ..................... thank god they are dying out little by little.
But unfortunately, they aren't dying off fast enough. Too bad we can't pull a holocaust on all of the racist bigots of all ethnic groups (i.e. white neo-nazis and Klansman, militant anti-white blacks, Spanish gang members causing a race war in LA, and Asians (particularly women) who hate blacks and suck up to the "master race").

Sorry if that sound controversial or was offensive to any Jewish people, but from my experiences of being stuck in the MOD CUT "liberal" state for the next year and 1/2, I've just about had it. The op's reaction was probably more subtle than what I would've done.

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-17-2008 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: language

Old 01-17-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
But unfortunately, they aren't dying off fast enough. Too bad we can't pull a holocaust on all of the racist bigots of all ethnic groups (i.e. white neo-nazis and Klansman, militant anti-white blacks, Spanish gang members causing a race war in LA, and Asians (particularly women) who hate blacks and suck up to the "master race").

Sorry if that sound controversial or was offensive to any Jewish people, but from my experiences of being stuck in the s**thole "liberal" state for the next year and 1/2, I've just about had it. The op's reaction was probably more subtle than what I would've done.
And...here we go. This is what we were all waiting for. The racism discussion has come to it's inevitible conclusion.

Anyone with opposing viewpoints should be exterminated. Regardless of whether they actually do something about their opinions...it's enough to just know that they are having mean thoughts to condemn them to death. Yay for thought crimes!

I remember reading somewhere that the fascism of the 21st century will come wrapped in the flag of tolerance and have the peace symbol as its swastika...this post makes me think more than ever that this is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies