Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:43 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times

Advertisements

Put me down for a couple hundred acres. I'll open a first class gun range!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 05:10 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Put me down for a couple hundred acres. I'll open a first class gun range!
Good luck with that in the southwest, where the whole outdoors is one big gun range.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You're just flat wrong. Big business interests have been pushing for years to be allowed to take our public lands to plunder and destroy them. And there are people in congress more than happy to oblige. It's not just an issue either of what lands are best for hunters or anglers either. It's about having the freedom to see, hike, explore and not have wall to wall development everywhere or a fence and gate up because someone claims it as private property. It's something that has always made this country different and more free.

Just because you don't know what you're looking at doesn't make a piece of land less important.
Oh just stop the fear mongering.

Much of the federal lands currently owned by the federal government were protected lands before they were taken over, from the states..

Other land was preserved by private owners who then deeded it to the federal government to conserve.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:21 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
make no mistake, true Statesmen enacted the parks acts and acquired these lands
for our national heritage - to be owned and enjoyed by all Americans.. and all our
children into the future. (and for conservation reasons).

with everywhere else unprotected and ravaged by the suburban sprawl and
road-building across all lands, there is little left already.

any politician who advocates the sale of protected Federal Lands for private
ownership is whoring for the elite. there are small groups of men with so
much money they are running out of things to do with the money. one thing
they cannot do yet is purchase publicly owned land. but they want it, because
their lust for acquisition is insatiable.

i urge everyone to automatically write-off ANY politician who advocates the
sale and divestiture of our national heritage to greedy individuals. an action
such as this says more about them and their beliefs than any mere words
coming out of their lying mouths.

this isn't about tree-hugging. sportsmen, hikers, recreational tourists,
campers, anyone who enjoys the use of our natural heritage must help stop this
potential, permanent loss of unique lands which YOU as an American
have an equal right to enjoy from ever taking place.

Last edited by Snowball7; 03-28-2015 at 07:29 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 07:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
I personally write off anyone who assumes the only option is federal government ownership, or complete destruction.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:33 PM

191 posts, read 172,015 times
I would bet most Native Americans in the 326 tribal lands are laughing their @@@@@ off at the stupidity of Republicans who want to sell off our heritage. If Republicans have their way you will have to drive onto a rural part of a reservation to see what America used to be like. One of my favorite drives is the Yakama Nation in Washington where there is absolutely nothing for miles.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:34 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I personally write off anyone who assumes the only option is federal government ownership, or complete destruction.
then you have no understanding about what PUBLIC ownership means.
it means that ALL have an equal right and that would end with private
ownership. why do you think it's the hunters and fishermen who are
so against it ?

Old 03-28-2015, 08:10 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Oh just stop the fear mongering.

Much of the federal lands currently owned by the federal government were protected lands before they were taken over, from the states..

Other land was preserved by private owners who then deeded it to the federal government to conserve.
You have it backwards. The western states' lands were owned by the federal government, what the states got as state or private land is/was what the feds gave or sold during settlement. Only the original eastern states were as you describe.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I think the Federal government should be buying MORE land to protect it from the ruinous incursion of commerce. We pay the National Park Service an nominal fee to visit a National Park. If Yosemite were owned by Disney visitors would be charged like it was Disneyland and have to pay hundreds of dollars a day. That would effectively limit public access to the prosperous and discriminate against everyone else.

I have heard the Valle Vidal in New Mexico is a stunningly beautiful place. I will never experience it because it is a privately owned ranch. This place should be owned by the Federal Government so all of us can enjoy it.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:31 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think the Federal government should be buying MORE land to protect it from the ruinous incursion of commerce. We pay the National Park Service an nominal fee to visit a National Park. If Yosemite were owned by Disney visitors would be charged like it was Disneyland and have to pay hundreds of dollars a day. That would effectively limit public access to the prosperous and discriminate against everyone else.

I have heard the Valle Vidal in New Mexico is a stunningly beautiful place. I will never experience it because it is a privately owned ranch. This place should be owned by the Federal Government so all of us can enjoy it.
Valle Vidal has been part of the Carson National Forest since 1982.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies