Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Never said it was. The fact government may be priming the pump has little to do with the differences in stock valuation percentile increases among companies in the same industry.
It's also really pretty much irrelevant to the big picture argument and you know that which is why you have to boil the argument down to between two companies as opposed to the overall economy like is being discussed here.

Yes, one company can be better run than another, but that isn't what is being discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 09:35 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Yes, but with less people employed means less consumers as well.
As pghquest pointed out, it is net loss to the economy in workers and subsequently consumers as well.

We have increased to 94 million Americans unemployed.

What is the major concern for Business Men?

Sales, not security, worry executives worldwide | Lean back

Sales, not security, worry executives worldwide

That bottom chart does not add up.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:37 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
pknopp, The F1000 earnings though, in aggregate, are at record highs, which means corporate profits overall are at record levels.

Instead of looking for doom and gloom that does not exist, enjoy this. It has been a long time coming.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:37 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's also really pretty much irrelevant to the big picture argument and you know that which is why you have to boil the argument down to between two companies as opposed to the overall economy like is being discussed here.

Yes, one company can be better run than another, but that isn't what is being discussed.
What is being discussed is the real economy and differences in stock market percentile increases among companies in the same industry tend to differentiate who is doing better or worse in the real economy.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:40 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
pknopp, The F1000 earnings though, in aggregate, are at record highs, which means corporate profits overall are at record levels.

Instead of looking for doom and gloom that does not exist, enjoy this. It has been a long time coming.
I don't understand what you're arguing. Evidence shows that the share of investment to revenue is shrinking. Our point is that record corporate profits are a result of diminished capital investment in the real economy.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:40 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
pghquest, Doing more with less should have happened decades ago. Less cost is a sustainable path to better earnings!
And the middle class is doing more, with less

Quote:
Since the last crash was hardly a natural thing, there is no reason to expect a repeat. This economy is fundamentally sound. Corps have healthy cash/other liquid reserves.

I know the OP finds that distressing!
While I agree we have an economic recovery taking place, the question I have is how is it "sound"? We have record numbers collecting welfare, middle class earning lower incomes, and while corporations are seeing record profits, the investment community overall is in the toilet. Bonds, cd, even treasury yields are horrible.

If you create crap markets in these other investment options, you cant be then surprised or act like people flooding the stock market overall is a sign of fantastic things taking place, especially given stocks climb sometimes while people lose their jobs..

The stock market, can actually counter the economy. This is the part many on the left want to ignore.

For example, look at the chart below which occurred during the great depression

This directly disproves any left wing theory that the economy is doing great, look at the stock market.

I do believe we are having some type of economic recovery, I also believe that it would have occurred a long time ago, and Obama policies delayed it, but..

The stock market is NOT an indicator of the economy, no matter how many times you guys want to believe it is.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Also? Yes, some companies after the crash figured out how to do more with fewer people to better withstand the next crash but that in no way disputes what I said.
Doing more, with less, would actually prove the economy isnt recovering, since these individuals dont have jobs and thus not able to contribute to the economy.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Since the last crash was hardly a natural thing, there is no reason to expect a repeat. This economy is fundamentally sound. Corps have healthy cash/other liquid reserves.

I know the OP finds that distressing!
I don't know if he finds it distressing, but I believe the question has been answered: low demand. If there are jobs and healthy earnings coming from this investment you speak about, then everyone will be happy. I don't see evidence of this. Middle-class earnings seem permanently stagnant while corporate earnings are at record levels. This is what would be expected in an unrestricted global economy, which is basically what we have. If it continues in this direction, parity will eventually be achieved between nations, and we actually will have billions of customers in China and SE Asia. The question is what do we have to go through to reach such a goal.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
pghquest, There is demand, but we do not waste money, and very often we can spend far less replacing what needs replacing w/o buying brand new machinery. We wouldn't spend the money on it at all w/o demand for our products.
if you replaced your equipment, or even added to it, the overall age of your equipment would fall.

1 equipment 40 years old...

vs
1 equipment 40 years old
1 equipment 1 years old

average age 20.5 years...

Simply adding new equipment would drop the overall average age..

You need to come up with a better excuse.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:43 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
I just sold 10,000 shares of Apple. I'll take the profits and invest in the real economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies