Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 02:22 PM

36,839 posts, read 31,130,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
And there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that eating meat will ever be illegal. I would say it would be about as successful as prohibition.

So why argue it at all, let alone in a way that actually deters the conversation from the more moderate and beneficial discussion it could have been?
That's just the direction the discussion took. Often posters respond to and debate points made by a previous posters and so on an so forth. Perhaps you should join the same discussion over in Great Debates.

I do however agree that the discussion is veering off topic.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:24 PM

18,005 posts, read 15,697,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Where in the crap do you get this stuff. I cant stop laughing.

No honey, I'm saying the abolition of slavery did not stop human suffering. It actually created a whole different level of suffering for blacks for a long time. And low and behold we still have forms of slavery such as human trafficking, sweat shops, child labor, etc.

You put the analogy out there. Ending meat production will go about the same way.
It is amazing. And when countered with its own , jaw dropping, inaneness, it just disappears , down a hole, and peeps up somewhere else. Just like the rodents its modeled after.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:24 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,673,218 times
No one has provided me a logical (non speciesist) reason as to why it is okay to kill and eat a pig but not a one year old human. Pigs are way smarter, way more aware of there surroundings and can also feel pain and emotions.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:31 PM

722 posts, read 1,112,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That's just the direction the discussion took. Often posters respond to and debate points made by a previous posters and so on an so forth. Perhaps you should join the same discussion over in Great Debates.

I do however agree that the discussion is veering off topic.
The direction it took... And it needed to be addressed? It would be like you and I getting into an argument about people from Tennessee being made illegal. It is just not something to even worry about. Meat eaters, you can eat meat. I doubt anyone will stop you. But mass production always reduces quality, both of the product and the world around it. I would prefer less meat, but better. That however, is still a choice for each individual.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:55 PM

15,953 posts, read 12,362,988 times
You want to feed 7 billion people using existing land compromises have to be made unless you want to cut down every tree in the world to make way for the farmland needed to produce our diet... it's sad but it's reality that some people are cruel and do not kill these animals humanely. It doesn't help they use mexican labor and/or pay these people dirt poor wages.

Telling people they cannot eat meat is not the answer. As a species, we survived cold climates by hunting and cooking game for much of our evolutionary history. I don't know how scientifically minded liberals can argue this aspect of our evolution. Meat provides the calories and amino acid profiles we needed. We can get by today without meat, thanks to diesel fuel and semi trucks and factory farming of produce and agriculture... but that's a far cry from trying to ban eating meat.. it's not gonna happen.

The people who keep saying we should breed more, that the earth can handle 30 billion people, need to shut it.. our planet is populated enough. If there was ever a massive solar eruption that knocked out the transformers planetwide, half our population would be dead in 6 months. As a civilization we rely on semi trucks and diesel fuel to give us our lifestyles we have.. much less the vegan lifestyles that would not be possible without factory farming and distribution of produce to the cooler climates that don't support year-round farming.

Last edited by sholomar; 04-03-2015 at 03:09 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 02:59 PM

27,434 posts, read 27,471,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
An undercover news report shows chickens awaiting slaughter routinely have their wings and legs broken, are not killed by the proper procedure and end up being scalded alive in a pot of boiling water, that they should have already been dead before being put into. This is awful. I cried after reading the details.

I was not always vegetarian as I am now . I did eat chickens. It is okay to kill animals for food but it is not okay to be cruel .They deserve a kind death not a death like that.

Here where I live they have just passed a new measure allowing urban chickens to be raised in a limited basis. I have met chickens in petting zoos and flea market pet shops that are sweet . I have seen cute baby chicks that are curious and friendly. They do not deserve this.

In Raleigh, activists call for more humane poultry slaughter methods | News and Observer News and Observer

Gory Food Service

Employee Describes Deliberate Torture of Chickens at
HORRIBLE!!!! Now I wish I hadn't read that. This makes me want to go vegetarian too.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
You want to feel 7 billion people using existing land compromises have to be made unless you want to cut down every tree in the world to make way for the farmland needed to produce our diet... it's sad but it's reality that some people are cruel and to not kill these animals humanely. It doesn't help they use mexican labor and/or pay these people dirt poor wages.

Telling people they cannot eat meat is not the answer. There are some people who encourage population growth saying the earth can hold 30 billion people.. first step.. get these people to shut their mouths.. we are populated enough on this planet.

If there's a major EMP attack that knocks out our distribution systems globally with no available supply of transformers to replace the existing ones, expect half the global population to be dead within the first 6 months to a year. It's semi trucks and diesel fuel along with large boats that sustain our civilization and factory farming that gives us the food supply without having to cut down every tree.. along with things like roundup, etc to increase yields.

You want every sort of produce and meat imaginable year around.. that's something man simply did not have hundreds of years or more ago.
That's not true at all. What do you think we feed our livestock? It would take much less land to feed everyone if nobody ate meat.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:01 PM

18,005 posts, read 15,697,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
No one has provided me a logical (non speciesist) reason as to why it is okay to kill and eat a pig but not a one year old human. Pigs are way smarter, way more aware of there surroundings and can also feel pain and emotions.
Speak of the devil. Its like Whack a Mole. Lmao. Are you saying there is a comparison to killing a human to a pig? On my! Bring on the shame and guilt trips. Hey! You in the back. And that's the answer?! Ah well. Truthfully, I prefer wild meat, to pen raised, for some of the reasons you cite. Variety of diet, mainly. They are what they eat, meat animals. Thus, wild game is far more clean than pen raised. One of the reasons I hunt.

Our meat animals DL not get supplements, hormones or medicines, that are not needed. If a beef or hog , comes up sick, it gets vetted. Cared for special, segregated, etc. Other than that, just fed and sheltered well. No drugs or other outside influences are given, just because. The advantage to raising ones own meat, is, therefore, quite obvious. USDA and FDA, require certain treatments for meat animals, raised for commercial sale. Raise your own, not so much. It also eliminates the concern over treatment of the animal. Nevertheless, big , commercial meat, isn't going away. There's way to many people who think their steak is just a magical appearance in Wal Mart. All wrapped up and good to go. Those same type of people also support anti hunting groups, but will eat a Sam's steak. Oh please! Spare me this spew...

Old 04-03-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Speak of the devil. Its like Whack a Mole. Lmao. Are you saying there is a comparison to killing a human to a pig? On my! Bring on the shame and guilt trips. Hey! You in the back. And that's the answer?! Ah well. Truthfully, I prefer wild meat, to pen raised, for some of the reasons you cite. Variety of diet, mainly. They are what they eat, meat animals. Thus, wild game is far more clean than pen raised. One of the reasons I hunt.

Our meat animals DL not get supplements, hormones or medicines, that are not needed. If a beef or hog , comes up sick, it gets vetted. Cared for special, segregated, etc. Other than that, just fed and sheltered well. No drugs or other outside influences are given, just because. The advantage to raising ones own meat, is, therefore, quite obvious. USDA and FDA, require certain treatments for meat animals, raised for commercial sale. Raise your own, not so much. It also eliminates the concern over treatment of the animal. Nevertheless, big , commercial meat, isn't going away. There's way to many people who think their steak is just a magical appearance in Wal Mart. All wrapped up and good to go. Those same type of people also support anti hunting groups, but will eat a Sam's steak. Oh please! Spare me this spew...
You didn't answer the question you just provided more drivel. It's a simple question you should be able to answer it in a couple of lines.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:04 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,448,101 times
Im just wondering and maybe we can have some sort of survey to see how this all works out. I would want to know if it changes the taste of the chickens depending how you kill them. For example when you barBQ or fry the meat does it taste better by just cutting their heads off and letting them bleed out or does it taste better some other way. Who knows maybe it does not matter how you kill them. It would be interesting to find out though.

Fortunatly for the chickens this is Easter season and we will be cooking a ham instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies