Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 02:36 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,530,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can name many instances where I have been assaulted and harassed by people who were White. I still find it in me to have White friends. I respond based on behavior and how one carries themselves, not race.

BTW, I am a young Black male and I don't go assaulting people and acting like a criminal. By that definition, I didn't create your situation. When you say "they", I have to assume you mean all young Black men.
That's exactly what I mean. And, every statistic shows that I am in much greater danger from young black men than you are from white men. Those are the facts whether you want to accept them or not. Of course, as soon as you say 'harassed' I know that you're whole line of reasoning is bogus.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:54 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,717,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
That's exactly what I mean. And, every statistic shows that I am in much greater danger from young black men than you are from white men. Those are the facts whether you want to accept them or not. Of course, as soon as you say 'harassed' I know that you're whole line of reasoning is bogus.
I would say that I "fear" economic violence from whites and street violence from blacks. Economic violence, however, prolonged, begets physical violence as poverty, frustration and despair can lead to family disintegration, hopelessness and illegal activities. Neither "fear" is a worry, however.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:36 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,738,120 times
Quote:
I blame anyone who decides to treat me like a threat. I don't care why they think of me in those terms. I only care about how it affects me. At the end of the day, I am the one who has to live with it. There is nothing I can do about some underclass hood rat and his/her behavior. However, there is something I can do about MY personal behavior. I take personal responsibility for myself.
I understand that you carry yourself differently than the perception but you really didn't answer my question. Who is responsible for the situation you are in? Why do non-blacks feel threatened when they see you coming their way on the street?

Old 04-10-2015, 07:35 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Who are you going to be wary of on a dark street? Be honest.

I am not afraid of black men, in general. However, a black man dressed in a way, walking a certain way, and young (under 30) was perceived as potentially a threat when I lived in NYC. I moved away, changed train cars, or crossed the street when near such a man. Especially at night. Would you feel or react differently, GM, to such a man?
I live in the Atlanta area, and I've come across both Blacks and Whites that I would have considered scary. In fact, I walked back home tonight in the dark from the store. I passed a few White guys whom I would deem scary. It was the way they carried themselves. A rough, "redneck" demeanor, and I live in an area where there is a relatively large amount of "redneck" culture. I've been harassed by some persons who fit that bill.

And having taken several trains in the Atlanta area, it was rare to find a Black man that I felt threatened by. I only felt that urge depending on how said person carried themselves. Same goes for any Whites on the trains.

Who am I going to be wary of on a dark street? It depends on how said person carries themselves. Age isn't even a factor for me. There have been men over 50 that scared me.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I understand that you carry yourself differently than the perception but you really didn't answer my question. Who is responsible for the situation you are in? Why do non-blacks feel threatened when they see you coming their way on the street?
Well, both sides are responsible. Those persons who contribute to stereotypes and those who cannot judge the individual and would rather judge the group.

And honestly, I shouldn't have to care who is responsible. What I care about is what it affects ME in the end. I am the one who has to live with the consequences. The hood rat doesn't care, and the whoever judges me won't feel any consequences.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
In bold: Explain exactly what you mean?

Outside of bold: I don't care what the statistics say. How does the represent me? Better yet, those statistics meant nothing when a White male teenager shot me with a paintball gun in broad daylight. It meant nothing when a few kids who happened to be White jumped me in school a few times. Statistics meant nothing when a few kids threw rocks at me.

And the harassed bit. If you call getting the "n" word shouted at you bogus, if you call people yelling foul things at you "bogus", then I have to consider that the line of reasoning you are using isn't rational.

I care about individuals at the end of the day. I care about making sure whatever a criminal does sticks to that criminal, not the entire race.

Last edited by green_mariner; 04-10-2015 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,738,120 times
Quote:
Well, both sides are responsible. Those persons who contribute to stereotypes and those who cannot judge the individual and would rather judge the group.

And honestly, I shouldn't have to care who is responsible. What I care about is what it affects ME in the end. I am the one who has to live with the consequences. The hood rat doesn't care, and the whoever judges me won't feel any consequences.
What do you think it would take for this type of reactionary prejudice to end? I'm not trying to badger you, I promise. I'm just curious to understand the point of view from "the other side" so to speak. From someone who's been mislabeled. And you're right; the hood rat doesn't care.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:04 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,768,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I would say that I "fear" economic violence from whites
Given that whites do "economic violence" to blacks in America, I wonder why it is that non-American blacks all over the world are eager to move to the United States for economic reasons. Whites hold blacks back, yet blacks prosper in majority white nations. African Americans are better off economically than are blacks in any non-white country. How do you explain this seeming contradiction?

Old 04-10-2015, 11:06 PM

428 posts, read 344,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Given that whites do "economic violence" to blacks in America, I wonder why it is that non-American blacks all over the world are eager to move to the United States for economic reasons. Whites hold blacks back, yet blacks prosper in majority white nations. African Americans are better off economically than are blacks in any non-white country. How do you explain this seeming contradiction?
Because whites stole the part that had all the roads.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:14 PM

428 posts, read 344,687 times
Quote:
Honestly, I think that a lot of people are able to hold seemingly contradictory ideas in their head. At least in the sense that groups are not equal to individuals.

The solid truth is that....

a) Caucasians are perfectly able to deal with well behaved, educated black people. I'd be happy to hire a top-notch black engineer or scientist in any capacity.
b) Caucasians (and any other sane group of people) don't want to live around groups of blacks.

I'd be surprised to run into someone who wouldn't admit that pair of statements.

Regardless of the reason(s) for the above, whether it's DNA, slavery, TV, or George Bush's policies, it is what it is. For people living in reality, effects matter more than causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies