Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 07:32 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,114,183 times

Advertisements

The image of the black "brute" (they had to be dehumanized to be kept as property) never really went away.

Now they're "thugs" and still dehumanized.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 AM

428 posts, read 344,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Speak for yourself, please. Tho I'm def "white" and a bit of a

Redneck; storm front gives me the chills so I VERY rarely go near that site. Its racism is about as out control as a group of hood rats playing the fool doing the knockout game and so on.
It is kind of interesting to check out that kind of site. SBPDL is another one. They can be a weird combination of fact-based stats, some not so fact based, personal stories, and a heaping helping of rather rude (and embarrassing) invective. Fringe sites are interesting to read just to tap into the restless id of the population.

Of course, there are black versions of that kind of website. Filled with arm waving about how the man done put them down, and busy inventing black history somehow involving Egyptians.

I like to keep track of this kind of thing, and have completely lost interest in politics (and the political fringe sites like DU), since I truly believe that demographics and the movement of populations has taken center stage in change. Mix that up with a certain amount of resource depletion and environmental degradation, combined with the wealth gradient you get from cultures and technology, and my own personal bet is that ethnonationalism is going to be the big story of the upcoming decades.

Countering ethnonationalism is a burst of interest among somewhat younger Western whites (mostly male I'd guess) in the social angles of what's loosely thought of as 'progressive' thought. It's a little hard to pin down, but you know it when you see it. The end game for that world is government provided propaganda and a strongly centralized control arm to keep the lid on a naturally restive, heterogeneous population (think Yugoslavia or the USSR).

In a way, it's a kind of replay of the 1920s and 1930s with the added zest of high technology and much higher population pressure from the third world.

Besides morbid curiousity, the important thing is to stay out of the way of the nastier upcoming events.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:16 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,444 times
Every culture has slavery.
Nobody wants to solve the gang problem.
Throwing in jail them is not working.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:02 AM

31,088 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Every culture has slavery.
Nobody wants to solve the gang problem.
Throwing in jail them is not working.
"Every culture has slavery"
Every culture 'Did' have Slavery for most of the world. The only current culture that currently enslaves people as it existed in the Americas and elsewhere is Muslims in Africa and the middle east. Apologist would have you believe that Muslims were/are nice to their Slaves. I would say if you want to see how slavery really works you can look at Mauritania, Sudan the Boko Harem and other like groups.

Findings - Walk Free Foundation - Global Slavery Index 2014

Slavery in Sudan

Interesting that most of the countries that are doing the most about slavery are countries in the west and the least or nothing are Muslim majority countries and places like North Korea. Maybe the West is doing it out of guilt and not because they have evolved

Last edited by LS Jaun; 04-10-2015 at 10:10 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 10:12 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,794,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Yep, you never know what we might be up to.

LOL @ White folks. You all amuse me.
My friend, my father passed for ALL of his adult life. And he was only one quarter. I can only iumagine the fear as each of me and my brothers and sisters popped.

I am white by culture and raising. Octaroon here.You and I may look at eachother over the fence. Suspicious. Wary. Unable to connect. I dont know. Are we able to find common ground?

Old 04-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I don't believe that one bit...
Apparently you have never stared a gun barrel and wondered ...

Old 04-10-2015, 10:26 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
“There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

Jesse Jackson

Jesse Jackson might have said the above, but I am not very sure if he has been completely honest about it.

To me, it is

“There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody well dressed and professional looking and feel relieved.”

Prejudice, stereotyping, and discrimination often go hand-in-hand, but it is also possible to have one without the others. When an ethnic group is stereotyped with a neutral or positive attribute such as "family-oriented," prejudice and discrimination may not be involved. Similarly, a generalized prejudice against "foreigners" or "amputees" may not include specific stereotypes or acts of discrimination. There are even times when discrimination takes place without prejudice or stereotyping, either intentionally or unintentionally.

I visit my friend often in a pretty bad neighborhood. (we hang out in the malls, restaurants, public places only) He has only one arm, I am a white/asian mixed girl. He never allowed me to visit at night because it was not safe. I hate where he lives. Guess whom are we afraid of? Asian gangs, those people attack Asians, Whites, and everybody. But majority of Asians are super nice, law - abiding citizens. Just like majority of the black people.

Why fear a certain race because of the color of their skin? Makes no sense to me. Rather stupid.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; not THIS white dude. I don't "owe" anybody a thing because of their skin color. The ONLY group of people I might owe something to are US veterans, especially combat vets dealing with PTSD. Otherwise, forget it.

Black people got their reparations; it was called "affirmative action" even tho word was those people who "needed" AA the least did the MOST with it by stepping up and taking care of business.
Well, in general I disagree with you. Take a read SLAVERY BY ANOTHER NAME

This country has generally tried every way to crush black people. You happy with that? Would you let your daughter marry a black man?

Seriously. Where do you really stand in your heart of hearts?

PS I am a right wing republican hater. I admit it. But is does make for a different perspective when you discover your own father was passing.l

Old 04-10-2015, 10:36 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
He lost me with this crap:

Prof. Paul Butler:
"one problem with conversations like this, is it doesn't get across that I love being a black man. I feel connected, like when I see President Obama's swag, I get that as a black man. When I hear Jay Z's cool ... I kind absorb and relate as well. Sometime we don't talk about the joy of this identity, and how proud I am to be African-American and a man."

Why? Because as a white man, no matter what cool white guy celebrity I see, I don't say to my self, "man its cool to be a white guy!".

Old 04-10-2015, 10:46 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And of those murders, the vast majority of the victims are themselves Black. By that fact, the group who should be the most afraid of Black men are Black men. Yes, 50% of the murders are committed by Black men. And it is conveniently forgotten that Black men are also 50% of the nation's murder victims.

And it is mostly underclass Blacks committing those murders. Black people like me get very upset about being treated like someone to be feared. I would because I've done nothing for someone to fear me.
I get this.... as much as a white dude can.

some years ago, I had a run in with a pretty large, pretty scary looking black dude. LOL. I kinda looked startled and the look on his face was clearly not pleased.

realizing his issue was my reaction, I made some small comment unrelated to anything and joking ... you could see the tension in his face melt. it was very clear what the issue was to me. the guy was beaten down by being the scary black dude, that he wasn't... ive made a very conscience decision to approach people differently because of that incident. not just African American men, but everyone.

the problem with this discussion is none of us want the honesty of the other side.

im a white guy. African Americans don't trust me. with good reason. I get that. what I say about race is going to be processed thru experience that says "don't trust that guy".

my white bretheren aren't interested in hearing about black folk problems. they have their own. most of us aren't racists even if we were raised by people who were prejudice and whos grandparents were in at least some measure racists. (we still love them)

its a paradox. We are left in our corners defending our position no one willing to drop the guard and just be honest and figure out what we can do to fix the problems.

its sad and I don't have a clue how it will ever get resolved. my prediction is that neither side is going to give enough to get to something that resembles solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.