Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 01:35 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,397,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Far from it. Starting salaries at the tech giants such as google, amazon, Microsoft, and Facebook, are 6 figures, and the hours are relatively short. Not to mention they have really good perks such as basketball court and fully covered health insurance. Come to their campuses sometime; they are awe-inspiring.

It has always been this way, and we are still not graduating enough Americans with computer science degrees. If money were top concern for college students, they would all try to be computer science majors. The pay in this industry is simply the best.

There is something else, and I haven't conclusively figured out what it is yet. Lack of mathematical aptitude of students and lack of glamor of the profession are pretty strong contenders.
Bwahahaha. The hours are relatively short? No. No they aren't. Maybe at Google. Yes the campuses ARE awe inspiring. great. the cubicles however are still cubicles in the end. You are still taking work home every day.

The average starting salary for a CS degree in 2013 was 60K, mid career salary was 100K. And the VAST majority are in high COL areas. And thats the interesting thing no one seems to think of. Yes you make 100K in the middle of your career. Awesome. You live in...lets take your google example.

Mountain view California has a COL index of 185%. Sooo...that 100k/year? Its more like 60K. the 60K starting? Is more like 40K.

Awesome.

But thats also kind of unfair, most places will only hit about 120 I suspect. Which still means...that a lot of us aren't making quite as much as you think.

FYI I work at a tech giant. starting salaries are not 6 figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 03:33 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,901,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
And Obama doesn't give two s**s about working people losing their jobs because they don't fit his agenda.

Makes me sick. Hats off to these bipartisan senators for stepping up.
He'd rather be on a talk show.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:34 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,586,913 times
Quote:
But ignoring 50 million illegals living here is completely OK?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
But ignoring 50 million illegals living here is completely OK?
And when exactly was that mentioned in any of this?

Ohhhh it wasn't, you just want to discuss your own thing.

Hey did you know theres a ENTIRE sub forum, all about that?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,259,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Bwahahaha. The hours are relatively short? No. No they aren't. Maybe at Google. Yes the campuses ARE awe inspiring. great. the cubicles however are still cubicles in the end. You are still taking work home every day.

The average starting salary for a CS degree in 2013 was 60K, mid career salary was 100K. And the VAST majority are in high COL areas. And thats the interesting thing no one seems to think of. Yes you make 100K in the middle of your career. Awesome. You live in...lets take your google example.

Mountain view California has a COL index of 185%. Sooo...that 100k/year? Its more like 60K. the 60K starting? Is more like 40K.

Awesome.

But thats also kind of unfair, most places will only hit about 120 I suspect. Which still means...that a lot of us aren't making quite as much as you think.

FYI I work at a tech giant. starting salaries are not 6 figures.
Granted, my CS experience is limited to Seattle, NYC, and the Bay Area. What's the starting salary at your company for a software engineer with a Bachelor's degree?

And out of curiosity, does your company hire H-1B's?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:42 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,768,584 times
H1B workers in IT are not paid lower, in general.

In fact many of the H1B workers graduated from a US school and their H1B job is their first full time job in their life. Considering that, you will find they are paid quite well.

Many managers in those IT companies were H1B workers themselves.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:47 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,586,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
10 U.S. senators seek investigation into H-1B-driven layoffs | Computerworld

Its about time. There shouldn't be a single additional H-1B visa hire allowed until companies can show conclusively that they've made full good faith efforts to hire American workers for those positions, particularly when we are talking about a utility company such as Edison.
Already done! Companies have been doing that for years. That's part of H1B process.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Granted, my CS experience is limited to Seattle, NYC, and the Bay Area. What's the starting salary at your company for a software engineer with a Bachelor's degree?

And out of curiosity, does your company hire H-1B's?
Starting wage for CS is 80K. The market here is highly competitive.

Actually the question is complicated. Interns make considerably less of course, but they are getting paid, and getting some great experience.

Outside contractors come in around 60K (to them-lots more to the contracting company) for a comparable skill set, I've met those H1-B's but not discussed income with them, most have been told to not discuss it, and to report if anyone asks. fun thing, those are considered trade secrets, and we have training about that. I do recall that when we closed one office, the H1-B complained about having no choice but to relocate on his own dime, moving his kids, and wife, etc.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:42 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,778,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Because they outsourced it. Don't confuse H1-B with outsourcing. Edison replaced their IT Department with a subcontractor, that subcontractor provides the level of service they are obligated to provide. Where the work is done is irrelevant, I'd bet dollars to donuts 90% of the IT servicing is done from Bangalore or Hyderabad that doesn't require 90% of those workers to have H1-B's, because they'll never set foot in the US as a US employee.

You are 100% correct. They come to the US under L-1 visas.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:43 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,017,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
A major employer in the Midwest laid off their entire 400+ IT staff and outsourced it all to India under an American consulting firm's umbrella in Hyderabad, and to appease the state who they swindled for a big bag of money to "keep jobs in the US", the missing IT people were replaced with an army of low level financial/project/analyst functionaries. I know because I saw it all coming and was gone 6 months before it happened.

And it wasn't because they all of a sudden decided it would be better, cheaper, or whatever. It was because they'd already had the Hackett folks tell them (twice) their internal processes sucked, they had just blown tons of money because they believe what oracle and Micro$oft salespeople were saying, and the board was watching the stock price go down. Easy answer, since non-IT are the ones always making the org chart decisions? Yep, you guessed it...fire IT, send it all to India, hire more people in suits who agree with firing IT.

Any corporation in America stuck between $750 million and $2-3 billion in revenue for more than 5 years is almost a virtual guarantee to be guilty of this kind of thinking. I've worked at too many and know too many people in IT, be they FTE, consultants, H1B, or apple pie Americans. Corporate America sucks at IT, period. Some of the big tech players do alright, and the random company here and there does it right, but for the most part, most companies prefer to listen to salespeople than their own FTEs, because salespeople couch their speech in free golf/swag terms, which makes middle managers very happy.
When you say salespeople, are you talking about consultants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies