Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:15 AM

13,308 posts, read 7,881,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
My son is a millennial. On a recent visit, I noticed this happening already with my new granddaughter. Mom and Dad held her constantly. It's pretty sad that Grandma (who is supposed to be the spoiler) had to tell them, PUT HER DOWN! If she's never on the floor, she'll never learn to crawl or walk. She'll never take a tumble on her butt and learn to GET BACK UP! Children learn from doing not "reading" about it don't they Ivory?
"The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat."

All thrills and agonies have been stopped.

The Ritalin generation, later to be replaced by the autism generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 10:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
Default Wok opportunitys

I am a retired boomer. I stared "working" for my step father (no work no supper) some 60 years ago. I learned to be a damn good machinist before I was out of High School even though I was on the college track. I spent a year in 'Nam in the Navy either washing dishes or riding river boats. The latter was a real education. After I got out I went through college working every summer as a mechanic or metal worker. After that I was a bureaucrat for the public and private sector.

I have been retired with a decent pension and great health insurance. I have been retired long enough to start getting bored. Yesterday, my wife, a tax preparer until April 15th, came home as said one of her clients was a 75 year old retired machinist that was called back to work because the company simply could not find anyone capable of making molds for their product. He said anyone that knew how to run a lathe or milling machine would likely get hired immediately. I so enjoy the irony of working at what I started with I might just show up and see what they want done for how long and what are they willing to pay. There are not many of us around that can work with non-NC machines.

This is tempting because I actually like building machines from prototype autos to antique Hydroelectric Power machinery.

There is work out there providing you actually know how to do something besides "Manage".

I just read my title. I also cook chinese.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Hmmm.... I talk to a lot of older people. When I was a teenager, pretty much every adult I talked to said there were living wage paying jobs available to anyone willing to work.
I would agree. I'm a boomer and when we turned 16 there were jobs available at the supermarket, McDonald's, Burger King, the movies, delivering the paper. Those were all jobs done by teens in school.

Today all those jobs are held by adults.
There are very few openings for that 16 year old to get their first experience at working.
So many of them don't and just continue schooling.

Now you have college graduates that have never worked a day in their life.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:29 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,851,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would agree. I'm a boomer and when we turned 16 there were jobs available at the supermarket, McDonald's, Burger King, the movies, delivering the paper. Those were all jobs done by teens in school.

There are very few openings for that 16 year old to get their first experience at working.

Well in some areas are very few jobs or they work around our schedule.

Last edited by Sommie789; 04-12-2015 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-12-2015, 10:33 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,568,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
The same mentality that the current govt. administration is somehow 'responsible' for the economy getting 'better'. Totally clueless, this facebook generation is. They live in a fantasy delusion with very little grounding in reality. They just have no real objective critical thinking ability whatsoever.

And now there are grown men on facebook that never seemed to have grown up. These progressive type people have no ability to think independently. They sit there all day and brainwash themselves. Hypocrites for sure.
It's all they know. They think being able to Google and answer makes you smart but they can't think critically about the answer they find. They don't research. They scan for relevant information (A.K.A. look for things that support their paradigm). They are the ultimate sheeple. They wear gentle leaders and their noses can be easily pointed where the media wants them to go.

Sadly this is something that we must accept as the future. They're not going to start critically thinking any time soon. It's a skill they just don't have. As long as they rely on a device to google answers they will have nothing in their heads to think critically about. I swear my students think Googling = Thinking and Finding the answer first = Smarter than everyone else.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:34 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
In 1980 I had to go 700 miles to Houston, Tx. to find a decent paying job. I am sorry look at the stats, by the late 70's the era of factory jobs was coming to an end.

The stagflation of the late 70's and early 80's was no joke.
You had to go 700 miles?? Cool story bro. (Everyone I know who found gainful employment after high school left the state.)

Old 04-12-2015, 10:35 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,147,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Or what happened to summer employment? At 14 I was out de-tassling corn for 12 or more hours a day... for less than 2.00 an hour. I'm now looking for a kid to come out an mow and weed my lawn once every couple of weeks. I'd rather pay him the 60.00 a week for a couple hour's work than hiring the big lawn service, but not a single one is willing to take the job.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:37 AM

428 posts, read 344,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Isn't it time for this overused meme to die a swift death? "
As a small data item, our local high school had almost 60 valedictorians this year. The high school I graduated from, at roughly the same size (1000+), had one.

It would be interesting to hear from a 30+ year elementary school teacher (anyone want to post on the matter?) to see what's what.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Assuming you're in the workforce in an office setting, are you telling me you don't have co-workers who think the process is more important than the outcome because before I retired that's what I saw. They bragged about how they did something over results. You know, total participation/getting everyone involved was more important to them than improving the widget program.
I see this all the time - but it's not the younger people running the show - YET.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:39 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,147,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
As a small data item, our local high school had almost 60 valedictorians this year. The high school I graduated from, at roughly the same size (1000+), had one.

It would be interesting to hear from a 30+ year elementary school teacher (anyone want to post on the matter?) to see what's what.
Wow! That kind of waters down the accomplishment doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies