Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:56 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Is it a black problem...... not really

its a liberal problem, with their 'freelove' and ' who needs a man' attitude, their 'lets give you unending welfare , based on how many kids you have out of wedlock' policies and their war on marriage

doesn't matter about black, white, Hispanic.....but it sure is a impoverished peoples problem more often than from middle or upper-class families
These policies(provided by the government) help perpetuate this dysfunctional cycle that exists within the Black family. As long a Black women(or any women) have all these safety net liberal polices that encourages them to make bad choices and decisions in life, it will never change. While there is fault on men who leave their children, women have to take responsibility for their actions as well. If you keep on choosing to sleep and have children with bad men then at some point you have to be an adult and own up to your bad decisions in life. As long as these liberal feminist policies exists, this dysfunctional cycle in the Black community will never change.

Women can't brag about "not needing a man to raise a family" then complain when there is no man in the family". You can't have it both ways. Realistically, this issue goes far beyond just the Black community and is really an American cultural problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 09:57 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,041,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
In part yes. 140 years is not long to sort out up to several centuries of damaging slavery. The immigrants who came to this country in the 20th century were not brutally taken from their home countries. They were not treated like property, ripping families apart for commerce. Denied education, given almost nothing except religion.

Why am I wasting my keystrokes, if you don't see/know the difference, you are beyond educating.
My guess is that if you took a poll of every black adult in the US and asked them "Does slavery still impact your life today?", that the vast majority of those that say "Yes" are the same ones who subscribe to the life of victimhood, listen to Jessie and Al and make excuse after excuse for their own failures. While those who say "No" are educated, successful, no criminal background, etc, etc, etc.

And if you don't think Jews, Japanese, other immigrants had it tough when they came to this country, you need to read some history books.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,145,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Where was your white mother this whole time? Sounds like they were both young and wanted to continue being young instead of being responsible adults.

I know your father did you wrong but he sounds like he has a family and hasn't abandoned them for 25 years or so...

Unfortunately, you weren't in your parents plans and that's a horrible way to live but you had grandparents and made it out. I wouldn't focus on Black fathers, just focus on being a better father when your time comes.
I never said my mother is White. Not sure what made you assume that. I am also female, so I would want to set a better example as a mother.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:17 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
single parent isn't the same as absent father..
What percentage of those single parent households are due to an absent father?

I'm guessing 80%. What's your guess?

But go ahead and continue living in fantasy land.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:17 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I am confused why it is automatically assumed that I am lying about my experience?
Because your story doesn't fall in with the leftist/black narrative so you are automatically branded a liar. they can't stand anything that doesn't got along with their paradigms so they live in a constant state of denial.

The truth is that much of the black community has been raised in a multi-generational system which absolutely ignores any kind of personal responsibility. Nothing is ever their fault, they are perpetual victims, everyone else owes them. Unfortunate but true, thank Lyndon Johnson.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Genetic fallacy.

Skin color has nothing to do with being a deadbeat father.
Yeah, it's just a strange coincidence that the percentage of deadbeat fathers is so high in the black community.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:28 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,145,018 times
Everyone provided some really great answers and opinions. Some interesting points were brought up for me to think about. And the take away from this for me is that I should not focus on it being a necessarily black community problem, and focus more on a better future for my own children when it comes time for them (I don't have any yet). Because at the end of the day, regardless of the issue being prevalent in the black community or not, I have the choice to create a better future for myself and for my own children and the cycle will be broken here. But, there is one thing my father did do for me, is he gave me a great example of how NOT to treat your children.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:36 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Default Are Absent Fathers a Predominantly Black Problem?

This problem is rampant amongst polar bears.

I was raised like a polar bear, and now I frequent places like City Data for opportune sustenance.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:55 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What percentage of those single parent households are due to an absent father?

I'm guessing 80%. What's your guess?

But go ahead and continue living in fantasy land.
you can think all you want, unless you have the stats that prove it it's just another wacko CD opinion of Black males.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:58 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
It's not a predominantly black thing because the highest number of welfare recipients is white single mothers. There me be a higher incidence of absentee fathers if breaking the numbers down by racial demographic, but by sheer volume, Whitey wins the welfare title.

And race didn't create that problem, government did. The welfare state was rewarding the behavior long before the legal system was punishing it. Ghettos are fun to point at and say "look, there's the problem" but go take a tour of the local trailer park you can see from any turnpike or highway in flyover country. Lots of poverty, lots of single moms, and not a black person in sight in that sea of white people.

I got a great view of this when delivering pizzas. I had two projects and two trailers parks in our delivery zone. The trailer park was 90% poor white people, the housing projects were 90% poor black people. And I saw lots of kids and women in both areas, but not a lot of adult males.

It isn't a race thing, it's a welfare state thing. Make it profitable, comfortable and simple to be a single mother, and men with adolescent personalities will not feel a strong urge to be responsible, regardless of their skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies