Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:52 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,276,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The majority of US Christians do not object to same sex marriage. You may say that whatever version of Christianity you follow does, but you may not claim that all of Christianity feels as you do.

Polling Tracks Growing and Increasingly Diverse Support for the Freedom to Marry | Freedom to Marry

March 7, 2013: Analysis by Joel Benenson & Jan van Lohuizen

Publicly released polling since November 2012 shows that a broader, more diverse majority of Americans support the freedom to marry, while opposition is increasingly isolated within narrow demographic groups.

KEY FINDINGS:

All major non-evangelical religious groups are ready for the freedom to marry, including 54% support from white non-evangelical Protestants, 53% support from white Catholics, 54% support from Hispanic Catholics, 65% support from non-evangelical African-Americans, and 78% support from Jews.

Where Christian churches, other religions stand on gay marriage | Pew Research Center
Funny how Jews support it in such large numbers when "Christians" seem to have such an issue with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 06:58 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,515,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
There is no religious basis for refusing to provide a cake for a same sex wedding either . You are wrong on your first point though. Since homosexuality is labeled as a sin in the bible then a "Christian" really should not associate with them if they refuse to repent . So being outraged over something that is not even discussed vs not being outraged over something that is discussed. Certainly seems like "Christians" have the right to be morally outraged over it then .
You are wrong about everything you posted. At least you are consistent.

But you overlooked this:

"Feel free to try to provide a single example of a religious merchant who flatly refuses to provide services to any homosexuals that they are aware of, if you can. But I do not believe you can. Not even one."

This should be easy for you, right? If so, go for it.

But the truth is that this is not actually a problem. In fact there is no pattern and practice of routine refusal to provide services to homosexuals by religious merchants solely and consistently because they are homosexuals. And the reason for that is that their religions do not teach them to do that and they do not want to do that.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:00 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times
Quote:
The majority of US Christians do not object to same sex marriage. You may say that whatever version of Christianity you follow does, but you may not claim that all of Christianity feels as you do.
Agreed. Only the ones that are living in ancient times do.

While I don't condemn all Christians (in fact, I think the huge majority live by a great code), those who are living in another millenium are really very much analogous to the Radical Muslims who don't represent their entire religion, and who are living by a radical interpretation of a book written a long time ago.

That is the whole point of this discussion. Not to condemn an entire religion (ANY religion) by the actions of a few on the fringe. To use consistency in casting our values, and to call out double standards which are applied by fringe of both religions.

I don't understand how this topic always gets twisted into "Obama hates Christians" and "the left hates Christians". It's exactly the opposite, those groups and others are trying to protect the huge majority of good, from being cast by the few on the fringe. This applies to Christians, Muslims and other groups too.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
You are wrong about everything you posted. At least you are consistent.
No, I'm actually not. Instead of broadly saying that I am, how about you point out what exactly is wrong about it .

Quote:

But you overlooked this:

"Feel free to try to provide a single example of a religious merchant who flatly refuses to provide services to any homosexuals that they are aware of, if you can. But I do not believe you can. Not even one."

This should be easy for you, right? If so, go for it.

But the truth is that this is not actually a problem. In fact there is no pattern and practice of routine refusal to provide services to homosexuals by religious merchants solely and consistently because they are homosexuals. And the reason for that is that their religions do not teach them to do that and they do not want to do that.

No, I pointed out in my post that they should be doing it if they have an issue with people living a sinful lifestyle.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics, as you have illustrated so well.

Of course none of this matters, as homosexuality is a sin, and homosexual "marriage" is an abomination. You people can try to spin that how you like, but there is nothing you will ever be able to do that actually changes that state of affairs, as there is nobody here on Earth who has the authority to change it.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
No, I pointed out in my post that they should be doing it if they have an issue with people living a sinful lifestyle.
Of course I explained above why you are wrong about that. And you still have not provided evidence that there are any religious merchants who routinely refuse to provide services to homosexuals solely and consistently because of their homosexual conduct.

Will you at least admit that this is not an issue? Or if it you think it is, how hard could it be to find examples of this happening?

Old 04-16-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Of course I explained above why you are wrong about that. And you still have not provided evidence that there are any religious merchants who routinely refuse to provide services to homosexuals solely and consistently because of their homosexual conduct.

Will you at least admit that this is not an issue? Or if it you think it is, how hard could it be to find examples of this happening?
Actually you never pointed anything out, and per usual you ignored the first point that you can't rightly argue against . You seem to be stuck over the idea that I need to point out where Christians are refusing service for simply being gay. My point is that if they are Christian they should be doing that. Since homosexuality is a sin and obviously they are unrepentant, no real Christian should want to engage with them at all. I would actually have more respect for someone who followed their religion fully instead of inventing something not even mentioned in the bible as a sin.

That means a Christian baker should not serve people who worship as pagans, divorced people, known criminals, people involved in the adult industry, people having children outside of marriage, etc etc etc. The cherry picking of things leads me to believe that they have no issue with sin, they have an issue with something that makes them uncomfortable is all. They just use religion as a shield to justify their dislike of it is all.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Actually you never pointed anything out, and per usual you ignored the first point that you can't rightly argue against . You seem to be stuck over the idea that I need to point out where Christians are refusing service for simply being gay. My point is that if they are Christian they should be doing that. Since homosexuality is a sin and obviously they are unrepentant, no real Christian should want to engage with them at all. I would actually have more respect for someone who followed their religion fully instead of inventing something not even mentioned in the bible as a sin.

That means a Christian baker should not serve people who worship as pagans, divorced people, known criminals, people involved in the adult industry, people having children outside of marriage, etc etc etc. The cherry picking of things leads me to believe that they have no issue with sin, they have an issue with something that makes them uncomfortable is all. They just use religion as a shield to justify their dislike of it is all.
Evade, deflect, deny and pull stuff right out of your a__. Why am I not surprised?

Old 04-16-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Evade, deflect, deny and pull stuff right out of your a__. Why am I not surprised?
I don't know, only you can answer why you do that .

Old 04-16-2015, 08:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times
The guy said in his personal blog that "I’d describe myself as 90-95% gay. I would never have chosen to be this way. No one would choose it. You’d have to be mad." Why I’ll probably never be a parent*-*Milo Yiannopoulos

Now he is saying that he chose to be gay to rebel?

Kind of like how he was against SSM until he got engaged.

He sounds like a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies