Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Come on now. American Samoa has a population of 55,000+/-. The U.S. has many, many suburbs larger than American Samoa. The U.S. gives American Samoa $140 million a year in aid. As an aside, all healthcare in American Samoa are government owned and operated.
It is wrong to assume that the US is the only country with an obesity problem. This has been discussed before. For some reason, some people seem to believe otherwise. Rants about "personal responsibility" for health should not just be directed at Americans. We drink less than many countries, and we've quit/not started smoking in much larger numbers than many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 08:21 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
We currently have a single-payer system for the elderly: I believe all people aged 65 and older are eligible. I believe Medicare/Medicaid spends around $900 billion a year, if I am not mistaken, for 45 million people (elderly and disabled). Curious how much the number balloons when 300 million people are thrown on it.
1. Medicare and Medicaid are two different programs. Workers are required to contribute to Medicare, while Medicaid is a program for the poor.

2. Medicare is not single-payer.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:21 AM

428 posts, read 344,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
It is wrong to assume that the US is the only country with an obesity problem. .
I'm quite curious how this will be dealt with in other countries.

Since I truly doubt that the average person will stop stuffing their piehole with Triscuits and Pepsi (or something like orange juice, which is scarcely any better), where do you end up?

I can imagine the outrage if the measures brought against smokers were imposed on the XXXL crowd.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:32 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
It is wrong to assume that the US is the only country with an obesity problem. This has been discussed before. For some reason, some people seem to believe otherwise. Rants about "personal responsibility" for health should not just be directed at Americans. We drink less than many countries, and we've quit/not started smoking in much larger numbers than many.
correct..we are not the ONLY ones with an obesity problem..in fact the world in general is getting fatter

but..
Obesity rates among OECD nations increased in recent years, with the highest rate in the U.S. at 34.3% -- which means one in 3 Americans is by definition obese.

34% of americans are considered obese.... that's over 110 million people, who are fat,obese, bbw,ssbbw, chunkie, etc

Old 04-23-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
I'm quite curious how this will be dealt with in other countries.

Since I truly doubt that the average person will stop stuffing their piehole with Triscuits and Pepsi (or something like orange juice, which is scarcely any better), where do you end up?

I can imagine the outrage if the measures brought against smokers were imposed on the XXXL crowd.
sugar (to include natural sugars like found in fruit) are the main culprit

a recent archeological study found people from the middleages (too include pirates) actually had better teeth than modern mankind (unlike the stereotype of everyone having blackteeth from back then)....why less sugars in their diet

Old 04-23-2015, 08:37 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
We currently have a single-payer system for the elderly: I believe all people aged 65 and older are eligible. I believe Medicare/Medicaid spends around $900 billion a year, if I am not mistaken, for 45 million people (elderly and disabled). Curious how much the number balloons when 300 million people are thrown on it.
Canada has single payer and it much cheaper than our system

Old 04-23-2015, 08:39 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Oh, I'm quite familiar with your line of thought. For instance, you believe that helping those in need and supporting the society you live in is something that other people should do, not you.
Let me guess, you want the government to take care of other people because you do not want to do it yourself, correct?

There is not a single thing that prevents you from getting all of the people who feel the same as you together and fund clinics and hospitals to help those without proper medical access. It seems to be that doing so would mean that it would take action and money from you, and apparently, you are not inclined to do so.

That house you are living in has a lot of glass.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:41 AM

428 posts, read 344,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
sugar (to include natural sugars like found in fruit) are the main culprit

a recent archeological study found people from the middleages (too include pirates) actually had better teeth than modern mankind (unlike the stereotype of everyone having blackteeth from back then)....why less sugars in their diet
I've always loved the concept people have that 'juice' is somehow a healthy thing.

I suppose it's part of the same magic that has made Lo-Fat Triscuits a health food.

The Dr. Lustig lectures (on youtube and other places) are well worth watching. Hopefully they make people rethink their diet concepts.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
and yet canada is progressively privatizing its healthcare region by region

Old 04-23-2015, 08:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Specifically, what is the cost difference, who bares the cost and what is responsible for the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies