Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

Son what does Op want to take something off the street/ Merit is required political promotion only comes at end to very top. Op should join and see now long he last .Having been in military I admire those that stay in and serve and want no social promotion but the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 09:51 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If a black officer is equally as qualified as a white officer, and the only difference is background/experiences that are informed, in part, by race, then I have no problem giving the spot to the black officer. What I do know is that there are people (can't say how true this is in the military) who will look at minorities in a negative light, despite having no real reason to do so, which has impacts on everything from housing opportunities (see the many cases of housing discrimination that exist even to this day) to hiring/advancing. In light of this reality, I support diversity hiring and programs.
If you're looking to hire based on race, "equally as qualified" is problematic. Not to worry though as "qualified" can be defined any way you want, right?

Also, gotta love this use of "informed". You've got the lingo down.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:37 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Making military leadership on anything but experience is a safety problem for the country
The US has already been doing this for centuries dude.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:03 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
If a black officer is equally as qualified as a white officer, and the only difference is background/experiences that are informed, in part, by race, then I have no problem giving the spot to the black officer.
You have just stated the Republican position.

Quote:
What I do know is that there are people (can't say how true this is in the military) who will look at minorities in a negative light, despite having no real reason to do so, which has impacts on everything from housing opportunities (see the many cases of housing discrimination that exist even to this day) to hiring/advancing. In light of this reality, I support diversity hiring and programs.
You have just stated the Democratic position.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:45 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
No room for politics in the military. Not that common sense like that matters in the liberal world.
And who does the Department of Defense report to? The Secretary of Defense, who reports to the President. It's been that way from the beginning.

How many times has Obama reminded the nation that he is the Commander-In-Chief??

Old 05-06-2015, 03:31 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Did anyone ever bother to stop and ask.... oh, I don't know.... WHY there aren't as many black people in high up positions? Maybe there just weren't as many qualified minorities in the air force as there were whites?

It's always baffled me why self-respecting minorities haven't come out in large numbers against this idea of diversity for diversities sake. When we accept the premise of diversity for diversities sake, we are basically saying that we are ok with succeeding and advancing not through merit, no, but by skin color.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:34 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Did anyone ever bother to stop and ask.... oh, I don't know.... WHY there aren't as many black people in high up positions? Maybe there just weren't as many qualified minorities in the air force as there were whites?
One thing's for sure - nobody who says that in public will ever get promoted to general.

Quote:
It's always baffled me why self-respecting minorities haven't come out in large
numbers against this idea of diversity for diversities sake. When we accept the
premise of diversity for diversities sake, we are basically saying that we are
ok with succeeding and advancing not through merit, no, but by skin color.
I think it is clear from hanging around these kinds of discussion boards that minorities can be extremely self-respecting and at the same time genuinely believe that they deserve preferential treatment due to the laundry list of injustices that they and their ancestors have suffered. Far more baffling to me is the willingness of the majority to abandon bedrock principles of fairness, merit and equal treatment of individuals. None of the 2016 presidential candidates will be running against diversity for diversity's sake.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

It's always baffled me why self-respecting minorities haven't come out in large numbers against this idea of diversity for diversities sake. When we accept the premise of diversity for diversities sake, we are basically saying that we are ok with succeeding and advancing not through merit, no, but by skin color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
One thing's for sure - nobody who says that in public will ever get promoted to general.

I think it is clear from hanging around these kinds of discussion boards that minorities can be extremely self-respecting and at the same time genuinely believe that they deserve preferential treatment due to the laundry list of injustices that they and their ancestors have suffered. Far more baffling to me is the willingness of the majority to abandon bedrock principles of fairness, merit and equal treatment of individuals. None of the 2016 presidential candidates will be running against diversity for diversity's sake.
In regards to the bold above, I think (and I am a woman and a black person) that many minorities and women feel that whites already do the bold above - they succeed based on skin color and not on merit. Men succeed due to gender views, not necessarity merit.

Personally, I also believe that to an extent - that white men succeed in specific fields and positions due to gender bias and due to being white.

In regards to employment opportunities, it has been documented that being white, no matter your background affords you more opporutnities even with the "diversity" goals of which you both don't seem to like.

But in regards to the Air Force, if everyone reads the article they will see that the issue is not that there aren't enough qualified women and minorities, but that they are leaving the Air Force prior to being able to advance to a much higher rank. Women in particular cited family issues and the need to rear children without the worry of deployment as a factor - which is a very good reason for not staying in past 4-7 years as that is when many people begin having families.

Also, due to the decade of war, not as many minorities in particular were joining the military. Many who joined left after 4-6 years and one cannot attain a high rank with so little experience.

FWIW, I have 2 cousins who achieved pretty high ranks in Air Force back in the 1970s and the 1980s. Both had 20+ years in the Air Force. The problem they are having is less women and minorities are staying, not that they aren't qualified. They are leaving to do other things.

I have younger family members who are now in the Army, one of the youngest joined a couple years ago and he is 23 and went into the Army at a higher rank due to his education and scores on ASVAT. He has been asked to consider a military career but he doesn't want to do that and would rather use the scholarship opportunities to fund his education and then open his own business when he leaves.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:55 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
"Are we trying to look good, or are we trying to win wars?" said retired Col. Terry Stevens, who served 35 years and worked at the Air Force Personnel Center for eight years.

Honestly, this is what many civilians want to know as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James has a sweeping plan to increase opportunities for women, minorities and enlisted airmen.

"Diversity, to me, is having the raw material, meaning the different types of people, the different perspectives, and the different backgrounds, the different opinions," she said. "Inclusion is, how do we put all that together and make it work for us? How do we capitalize on those strengths of the different opinions and approaches?"

Air Force secretary's diversity plan will mean quotas, critics say

man, so the military needs different opinions?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The Air Farce has far more to do with Industrial and Political Welfare then warfare. They are responsible for more government welfare to selected industries than either the Navy or the Army. spending borrowed money is one of the reasons for their existence.

The other is to limit promotion to the proper Christian Men so the Select are unmarred by women or any non-whites. We have a Christian Air Force willing to destroy heathens (non Christian or white) anywhere or any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies