Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:59 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, but you need to think about it this way, maybe some white folks do not even share the same culture with other white folks. Therefore, they think the white month is an insult to them.

For example, I am German/Irish/Japanese/Hawaiian, Why do I want to celebrate Asian pacific islander month or whatever? I am not white, I am not Asian, I am not Hawaiian, certainly not Native American! lol

I know plenty of white people (100%) white people DO NOT care about white history because they don't feel they share the same history with other "white" people.

Just sayin'.

e.g. My grandpa was 100% white, he was also German-American. He certainly had a very interesting theory about who is white, and who is not.
Very true. I've met people who do not want to considered "white" (Lithuanian, Romainian etc) and I do not blame them. They feel distinct from such a blanket label.

Met Africans who feel the same way about the term "black."

Since Caribbean Heritage Month is not racial, but broadly ethnic/cultural, it's alright with me.

Black History Month is basically for African-Americans, which I am not.

Asian Heritage Month...my heritage is Indo-Caribbean. Caribbean Month covers it imho.

And on and on...people definitely differ on these matters.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I'm not whining. I'm laughing. Thanks for posting here.
Oh you're DEFINITELY whining. LOL @ the laughing claims now.

You should laugh at your post though...it's pathetic as hell.

WAH WAH WAH...LOL.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:04 AM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Very true. I've met people who do not want to considered "white" (Lithuanian, Romainian etc) and I do not blame them. They feel distinct from such a blanket label.

Met Africans who feel the same way about the term "black."

Since Caribbean Heritage Month is not racial, but broadly ethnic/cultural, it's alright with me.

Black History Month is basically for African-Americans, which I am not.

Asian Heritage Month...my heritage is Indo-Caribbean. Caribbean Month covers it imho.

And on and on...people definitely differ on these matters.
Yeah. Like my grandpa for example.

He is 100% white German American. He didn't consider Cuban white, polish, not white, Indian Americans mixed with white, not white. Arabs, not white. He didn't consider me white, but he still loved me very much. Right or wrong, true or false, that is his theory.

So to me, it is not very much of a big deal.

And about this Asian pacific islander month, or whatever it is called. I don't claim to be an Asian culture expert, but I know enough to know that not many Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans, want to sit in the same room eating beef fried rice together. LOL

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-12-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yeah. Like my grandpa for example.

He is 100% white German American. He didn't consider Cuban white, polish, not white, Indian Americans mixed with white, not white. He didn't consider me white, but he still loved me very much.

So to me, it is not very much of a big deal.

And about this Asian pacific islander month, or whatever it is called. I don't claim to be an Asian culture expert, but I know enough to know that not many Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans, want to sit in the same room eating beef fried rice together. LOL
That's so interesting. Some people are very select in their perceptions. These ideas vary so much depending on the person. Which groups did he consider white? Just curious.

LOL@ sitting in the same room. Isn't that the truth?

Similarly, one of my friends asked an Ethiopian professor a question about Eritrea and I kid you not, his hands started shaking and face turned so angry. His answer will go unmentioned...lol.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the months. It's nice to learn about different cultures and eat different foods. AND I'm a foodie...LOL

Old 05-12-2015, 08:24 AM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
That's so interesting. Some people are very select in their perceptions. These ideas vary so much depending on the person. Which groups did he consider white? Just curious.

LOL@ sitting in the same room. Isn't that the truth?

Similarly, one of my friends asked an Ethiopian professor a question about Eritrea and I kid you not, his hands started shaking and face turned so angry. His answer will go unmentioned...lol.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the months. It's nice to learn about different cultures and eat different foods. AND I'm a foodie...LOL
haha In all fairness though, this business owner is pretty clever.

In 2060, non-Hispanic white will be minority in America, Can you imagine 100% white folks finally get their white history month only when these folks become the minority?

One professor said in college that cultural awareness only becomes central or important when we have to interact with people from other cultures. It makes a lot of sense.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:30 AM

934 posts, read 595,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
This made me stop for a minute.

Now in my fifties, I`ve never experienced any sort of special celebration of my white heritage.

This is a first for me as I have always been a scorned "privileged" white-male outsider.

I wish his restaurant we not so far away because I would love to experience someone expressing appreciation for my race.

Of course the haters will be along to drag him into court.
Dont you live in the South? Pretty sure it wouldnt be hard to find someone sympathetic to White Pride or White Power

Old 05-12-2015, 08:41 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
As to the OP. My opinion is they can do that, but I would not want to hang out with the losers that would attend such an event. I also think they will inevitably reap what they sow by catering to such types. Otherwise, I have no problem with it. The real question is, what do "whites" eat and drink? Hamburgers and hot dogs and lousy beer? No thanks.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:03 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
There is no White Appreciation month.
Up until yesterday, you didn't even know there were appreciation months for Germans, Irish, etc.

You're just complaining because blacks and the LGBT community have their months.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:42 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Up until yesterday, you didn't even know there were appreciation months for Germans, Irish, etc.

You're just complaining because blacks and the LGBT community have their months.
German and Irish are not races...fail once again.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
German and Irish are not races...fail once again.
Your post is a fail.

There is a BLACK History Month (basically for African-Americans) because their ethnic/cultural affiliations were literally beaten out of their ancestors.

Is that really what you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies