Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post

You don't need to worry so much about assimilation; it will happen naturally in the course of two or three generations.
Previous groups of immigrants left their countries and they were eager to assimilate, but the current group is maintaining close ties with their country and see themselves as "reconquering" the USA for Mexico. They have their own government offices going up like 7-11's and don't see themselves as under American law but under their own country's laws. The death penalty is a good example, they feel they must be spared because their citizenship is to Mexico even if they are born here and spend their whole criminal life here.

In many areas there is no assimilation at all -- in this region only about 25% are foreign born but over a third of the population speaks no English and the drop out rate is about 50%.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:24 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Just wondering how long our nation can continue taking the massive hits on crime and drain on our resources until somehow the "generations" get their act together and become assimilated... and there are millions who have NO concept or intention of doing so. Will be very interesting to see how that is going to play out over the next several decades. How long can the USA continue to be the giant tit before drying up?? Sorry for the lack of optimism, but I live in a border state and see reality daily.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:35 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Just wondering how long our nation can continue taking the massive hits on crime and drain on our resources until somehow the "generations" get their act together and become assimilated... and there are millions who have NO concept or intention of doing so. Will be very interesting to see how that is going to play out over the next several decades. How long can the USA continue to be the giant tit before drying up?? Sorry for the lack of optimism, but I live in a border state and see reality daily.
I live in San Diego County and I am optimistic, but first I believe we need to control our borders and provide HOPE for a future in America to the immigrants who are here and come seeking oppurtunity in a new land. Until we set up a way for people to come legally; we have very little control about who crosses our porus boarder.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:37 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I read your point to be skepticism that the balance won't tip at some point to the extent that we lose our original core American values. Which I suppose could be possible... and I agree that would be a bad thing... but from my personal experiences and from the studies on immigrants and assimilation I have read this does not seem to be the case.
Yep, you've pretty well got my 'number', B4. What we have here (as you yourself well know) is pretty rare, and, to some degree, probably largely 'intangible'. For some reason, it just seems to "work"....and on our worst day, at our worst 'squabbling' among ourselves, we're light-years ahead of so MUCH of the world, which doesn't have one TENTH of our diversity. The worst racial or ethnic violence we HAVE here, (VERY VERY rarely) would just be "business as usual" in many parts of the world. I'd hate to see us 'lose' what we have here, just because we're eager for some sort of poorly-understood 'change'.....Not only would I be very disappointed if that happened--I think a large number of multiculturalists would be, too. I don't think a LOT of those folks have really "thought through" what it is they're aspiring to.

Guess I'm just a little cautious, you could say....

You have me pretty well figured out....

Old 01-19-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I understand your point and partially agree; there was a pride in adapting to the new land and in becoming citizens. However, there were neighborhoods in NH and RI where French was still the language of the church, school, family and the streets more than 3 generations after the workers came down from Lac St Jean Quebec to work in the mills; I remember when Pope John came to America all the parades of beautiful Polish children wearing ribboned head dresses and apple cheeked grannies speaking in polish to welcome him to America; and most second generation Latino's I know speak perfect English.
Haven't been to New England except briefly, but as a Catholic, I'm aware of the strong and persistent Quebecois-descended culture in "upper" New England, and I've known a number of "French" people from Maine and RI who, I ASSUME, are descended from Canadians.

Do you suppose part of this "persistent" quality might be somewhat a function of simple geographic proximity, like the Mexicans in the southwest?. After all, if you're in Maine or New Hampshire, Quebec is very close. Isn't Old Orchard Beach (near Portland), often called the "Quebec Riviera"?--

I'd imagine that strong ethnic ties, an early "anti-Catholic" New England society, and close proximity to the "old country" did foster a situation in which these folks "clung together" as a group longer than they otherwise might have...

Interesting subject...

Old 01-19-2008, 01:11 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Living in California, I know Diversity quite well... I have watched a nice neighborhood sink in to the ghetto, I can't wait to retire and move someplace without diversity..................

Old 01-19-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Living in California, I know Diversity quite well... I have watched a nice neighborhood sink in to the ghetto, I can't wait to retire and move someplace without diversity..................
You don't make it clear if your neighborhood is now MORE---or LESS--diverse than it was before. But I certainly agree that it went through a "change" (apparently, not a particularly 'good' change, either)..

Old 01-19-2008, 04:02 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You don't make it clear if your neighborhood is now MORE---or LESS--diverse than it was before. But I certainly agree that it went through a "change" (apparently, not a particularly 'good' change, either)..
Is "diverse" being used as a code word for something else in this conversation?

Old 01-19-2008, 04:06 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Is "diverse" being used as a code word for something else in this conversation?

Well, seeing as how "diverse" in America basically means, "not white," I don't think it's code at all.

'Round here you can be in an area that's 90% Latino, 3% non-Latino black, and 2% non-Latino white, and people will call it "diverse!"

Old 01-19-2008, 04:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, seeing as how "diverse" in America basically means, "not white," I don't think it's code at all.

'Round here you can be in an area that's 90% Latino, 3% non-Latino black, and 2% non-Latino white, and people will call it "diverse!"
Ah. Is the real intent of this thread, then, to ask "are non-white people really good for America?"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies