Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:08 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,180,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
All of this is ridiculous. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? How is it logical to hold the entire Black population responsible for the actions of the hood rat segment of the Black population? How does that make ANY sense? It does not make sense to punish someone for the stupidity of someone else. I don't care "what is". Is it going to work? Is it going to bring things into order? The answer is no. The Black people who have their house in order have left the hood rats behind, and rightfully so. The best you can do is walk away from hood rats and let them do to themselves, if that is what they intend to do. What do you expect the rest of the Black population to do? Go back to the ghettos and try to babysit hood rats living there? I do not think so. You can't hold me or other decent Black people responsible for the stupidity of hood rats. We have a justice system, and we can lock alot of people up. You want to hold someone responsible, talk to the hood rats themselves, address THEM and ONLY them.
Your apathy towards the problems that plague the Black community is a huge part of the reason the Black community is the way it is today. If the decent Black people don't care then why should anyone else?

Old 05-16-2015, 08:26 AM

73,184 posts, read 63,029,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Your apathy towards the problems that plague the Black community is a huge part of the reason the Black community is the way it is today. If the decent Black people don't care then why should anyone else?
The same apathy that can be seen from many White people who have distanced themselves from underclass Whites. Not much of a difference. Why should I take responsibility for a hood rat? Why not just distance one's self from hood rats? You'll do better in the long run. Yes, crime, and all of that stuff is despicable. I agree. That is why I don't feel sympathy for a Black person thrown in prison for committing murder or causing blight on others. My problem is with the people who want to throw the whole Black population under the bus because of hood rats. Now, answer my questions instead of cherrypicking on part of my post.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? How is it logical to hold the entire Black population responsible for the actions of the hood rat segment of the Black population? How does that make ANY sense? It does not make sense to punish someone for the stupidity of someone else. I don't care "what is". Is it going to work? Is it going to bring things into order? What do you expect the rest of the Black population to do? Go back to the ghettos and try to babysit hood rats living there?

Old 05-16-2015, 08:34 AM

33,610 posts, read 18,274,369 times
We need more black people to stand up for non-violence... the liberal media puts blacks saying it is justified and I understand why they riot and loot... I don't , so where is the black voices downing people like Al Sharpton and those who think it is ok to riot and loot because of their feelings of injustice..

White people always have feelings of injustice.. this world is by no means perfect and the white man's world is just as unfair as blacks..
I don't understand why black people think if your white the world is better for them.. Privilege comes with power and money. Privilege comes in all colors.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
The same apathy that can be seen from many White people who have distanced themselves from underclass Whites. Not much of a difference. Why should I take responsibility for a hood rat? Why not just distance one's self from hood rats? You'll do better in the long run. Yes, crime, and all of that stuff is despicable. I agree. That is why I don't feel sympathy for a Black person thrown in prison for committing murder or causing blight on others. My problem is with the people who want to throw the whole Black population under the bus because of hood rats. Now, answer my questions instead of cherrypicking on part of my post.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? How is it logical to hold the entire Black population responsible for the actions of the hood rat segment of the Black population? How does that make ANY sense? It does not make sense to punish someone for the stupidity of someone else. I don't care "what is". Is it going to work? Is it going to bring things into order? What do you expect the rest of the Black population to do? Go back to the ghettos and try to babysit hood rats living there?
Who is trying to punish all Black people for the stupidity of other Blacks? It doesn't make ANY sense, because it isn't true. When some talk about Blacks being held responsible for the conditions in the Black community, they aren't saying that you as an individual are responsible for the actions of another individual. They are saying that Black people, as a whole, are responsible for Black people's problems. And it has to be this way, because Whites aren't even allowed to honestly address Black problems without fear of reprisal and accusations of racism.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
We need more black people to stand up for non-violence... the liberal media puts blacks saying it is justified and I understand why they riot and loot... I don't , so where is the black voices downing people like Al Sharpton and those who think it is ok to riot and loot because of their feelings of injustice..

White people always have feelings of injustice.. this world is by no means perfect and the white man's world is just as unfair as blacks..
I don't understand why black people think if your white the world is better for them.. Privilege comes with power and money. Privilege comes in all colors.
Or maybe the Blacks standing up for non-violence don't get nearly as much press as those committing the rioting. The media always reports on things that scare people. I thought everyone knew that. And it isn't just the liberal media. It's with conservatives too.

And something else. Maybe the reason alot of Blacks see Whites as being more privileged, perhaps this has alot to do with the history of this country, the way Blacks have been treated in comparison to Whites. And even within a class system, there are still issues with race. It just manifests itself differently.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Who is trying to punish all Black people for the stupidity of other Blacks? It doesn't make ANY sense, because it isn't true. When some talk about Blacks being held responsible for the conditions in the Black community, they aren't saying that you as an individual are responsible for the actions of another individual. They are saying that Black people, as a whole, are responsible for Black people's problems. And it has to be this way, because Whites aren't even allowed to honestly address Black problems without fear of reprisal and accusations of racism.
Well, I'm not talking about the whole. I'm talking about individuals. I think in terms of "let the individual pay for his stupidity". I have a problem with the way things are discussed because if "the whole" is used, this means individuals get thrown under the bus. "The whole" that you're talking about, consists of individuals, and I'm for individuals being judged as individuals. I'm for individuals being held responsible for their behavior.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm not talking about the whole. I'm talking about individuals. I think in terms of "let the individual pay for his stupidity". I have a problem with the way things are discussed because if "the whole" is used, this means individuals get thrown under the bus. "The whole" that you're talking about, consists of individuals, and I'm for individuals being judged as individuals. I'm for individuals being held responsible for their behavior.
Individuals are judged as individuals and groups are judged as groups. The Seattle Seahawks are judged to be an outstanding team because of the great individuals who make up that team. The Oakland Raiders might have a few good players, but the team, as a whole, sucks and everyone knows it.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:00 AM

70 posts, read 77,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

I Cant pretend to speak for the Black community, but I can say this. Sharpton is a construct of the media, and people like you, who's focus feeds his power. Blacks know this guy is shady, and is a double edged sword, but at a time they feel a widespread societal "comfort level" with images of young unarmed black men laying in a pool of blood in the street, Sharpton will definitely bring the cameras, all of which are owned by white people.

Hey, this dude makes my skin crawl faster than it does yours, but I think Black communities, and particularly the parents of those slain young men, would go with any resource that would draw attention to what they perceive as a wrongdoing to their child. I would, and Im sure you would to if you had no other options.

As to your point about looting, I agree 1000 percent.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:11 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,945,835 times
People on here know, from my to-the -point nature of my posts on this subject, that I am not pleased with what I have observed with regard to blacks and their behavior at times. That being said, the OP comes across as an intelligent, decent human being and has asked some very good questions, and those questions deserve an honest response. However, being white, I can only answer you from that perspective.

As to the part about why ALL blacks are judged because of the actions of a FEW blacks, that , IMO, is the crux of the problem. It is not a FEW blacks, it is a disproportionately high percentage of blacks who live their lives contrary to what most people consider acceptable. These behaviors include :

Having multiple babies to multiple baby daddies (and the moms and dads seem to think this is the way it should be).

Sucking off of welfare instead of going out to work every day (like the rest of us).

Engaging in criminal behaviors (ranging from theft, drug dealing, and even murder) and not working with the police to solve these crimes, even when it is one of your neighbors who was a victim.

Generally not taking responsibility for your own problems, instead, you tend to blame everything from long gone slavery to the man trying to keep you down.

While poverty is certainly a factor in some of that, it is not the only factor. More than poverty is the unwillingness of a HUGE PERCENTAGE of blacks to want to elevate their lot in life. Even when given the tools to better themselves, many blacks destroy the things that might actually help them. (For example, we managed a low income apartment complex designed to provide blacks and other people with a nice, clean environment to raise their families, at a very low monthly rate.......some people only had to pay $25 a month. Yet, within 3 years it had become a Ghetto because the blacks treated it as a dumping ground for their litter, rammed their cars into the access gates, and generally made it a filthy , crime ridden neighborhood where even the cops would not come without backup.)

So, is it fair for us to paint all blacks with the same brush ? Absolutely not, but, when we see a black, how do we know if he is a decent human being or if he is going to stick a gun in our side and take our wallet ? Too many of your people do exactly that, and therein lies the problem......TOO MANY do it, not just a handful. Until you get those numbers down to just a small percentage of your people acting in the ways I have described, you will never get people to change their opinions of how blacks are.

Sorry, but you asked and I have to respect your question enough to answer honestly and fully.

Don

Old 05-16-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Individuals are judged as individuals and groups are judged as groups. The Seattle Seahawks are judged to be an outstanding team because of the great individuals who make up that team. The Oakland Raiders might have a few good players, but the team, as a whole, sucks and everyone knows it.
Well, I'm not talking about "group". I'm not here to talk about that. I'm here regarding how individuals suffer. I care about individual more. It comes with having an individualist mindset. This is why I ask about things like personal responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies