Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 08:31 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times

Advertisements

I hate drunk drivers more than I do smokers. (I don't hate smokers at all, actually)....

Old 05-15-2015, 08:42 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What exactly are the reasons why some of your folks hate smokers?

You can say that you don't like the smell of it leaves on people. There are PLENTY of smells in this world that people choose to apply to themselves, are you telling me that you like all of them?!

If people smoke outside, what exactly is the problem? if you are standing next to someone and they are smoking, take three steps upwind or cover your mouth and nose if you are "that" sensitive. Problem solved.

I am a non-smoker, and just like other non-smokers, I am super sensitive about cigarette smell, but so what? This world belongs to smokers too. If they choose to smoke marijuana or cigarette outside a restaurant, it is their choice. If I don't like it, I can choose to stay home.

Judging others and demonizing smokers is getting so old.

By the way, Our world is chock full of carcinogens and if you think the occasional smoker you walk past on the street is somehow going to dynamically shift your health for the worse, you're crazy.
Keep in mind all of the indignity smokers have had to go through over the years.

Lets imagine that suddenly the government, social media, and medical groups decided to ostracize cell phone users:

At first, we will be lectured about how cell phones cause cancer due to the lead batteries in them
Secondly, a few years later, Advertisers are no longer allowed to advertise cell phones on TV due to health concerns..
Thirdly, a few years later, cell phones are banned in hospitals and most government buildings because people dont want to hear people chatting on thier phone while they work

...AAAAAAnd a few years later, the government decides to charge an extra 10 cents per minute for cell phone users to bully them into using thier phones less
And then they do it about 4 more times every so often to further demonize you for daring to do something you enjoy.
And shortly, you are not allowed to use a cell phone in ANY public building, no restaurants, no bars, no stores, no anything!

...and then you are informed by the freedom loving government that if you want to talk on your cellphone you must stand 100 yards away from any entrance to a building, further, many employers announcee that the are proud to be "CELLPHONE FREE" campuses. And of course, users of cellphones will of course NOT be hired by companies because its fun to discriminate against people you disagree with..

How would you feel?

Old 05-15-2015, 08:42 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Rather than being a considerate smoker, I think you
are proving the OP's case for him.
Why should a smoker be considerate of someone that despises him and treats HIM rudely? Sorry, but the old say is true for smoking related issues too, you catch more flies with honey. I bet if the guy would have asked him nicely if it would be too much trouble to put his smoke out, he would have considered it. And even if he still didn't put it out, he would still be in the right because it was legal to smoke where he was and the establishment allowed it. The other guy had the problem, so he should have left if he didn't want to be somewhere that allowed smoking.

Quote:
Classic smoker's denial.
That's funny, because I have nothing to deny. I'm not a smoker. I'm also not a busy body PRUDE....go figure.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Keep in mind all of the indignity smokers have had to go through over the years.

Lets imagine that suddenly the government, social media, and medical groups decided to ostracize cell phone users:

At first, we will be lectured about how cell phones cause cancer due to the lead batteries in them
Secondly, a few years later, Advertisers are no longer allowed to advertise cell phones on TV due to health concerns..
Thirdly, a few years later, cell phones are banned in hospitals and most government buildings because people dont want to hear people chatting on thier phone while they work

...AAAAAAnd a few years later, the government decides to charge an extra 10 cents per minute for cell phone users to bully them into using thier phones less
And then they do it about 4 more times every so often to further demonize you for daring to do something you enjoy.
And shortly, you are not allowed to use a cell phone in ANY public building, no restaurants, no bars, no stores, no anything!

...and then you are informed by the freedom loving government that if you want to talk on your cellphone you must stand 100 yards away from any entrance to a building, further, many employers announcee that the are proud to be "CELLPHONE FREE" campuses. And of course, users of cellphones will of course NOT be hired by companies because its fun to discriminate against people you disagree with..

How would you feel?

Funny, isn't it? No one would stand for such an encroachment on any other issue, but replace "cell phone" with "cigarette" and they're just fine with it.

They're a narcissistic hysterical bunch, aren't they?

Old 05-15-2015, 08:51 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
There ya go! Now you're using that noggin of yours......

In the meantime, it surely sounds like you may be suffering from a mental disorder known as Anti-Smokers Dysfunction Syndrome.....

Don't worry, you didn't cause this. The medical community and other opportunists have brainwashed the public in to a hyper-sensitive, paranoid hysteria with their anti-smoking propaganda over the last four decades. Not to fear though, treatment is available.
Oh, Hahaahhaahhahahhaa...good one. Okay, all the Cancer, Lung, Allergist and other Health professionals besides the Non-smoker rights, Secondhand Smoke organizations should know that a mad smoker on a message board has informed us that we have been imagining the whole thing....

Speaking of treatment, there exists assistance for addicts to get clean.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Oh, Hahaahhaahhahahhaa...good one. Okay, all the Cancer, Lung, Allergist and other Health professionals besides the Non-smoker rights, Secondhand Smoke organizations should know that a mad smoker on a message board has informed us that we have been imagining the whole thing....

Speaking of treatment, there exists assistance for addicts to get clean.
Why is it that just because someone isn't a busy body and isn't hyper-sensitive, delusional, or paranoid about smokers not even in the same building as them, that person is assumed to be a smoker themselves? Is it really that hard for you to believe that we aren't all narcissistic control freaks and think we're going to die of cancer because someone has the audacity to smoke a cigarette within a city block of us???? Oh GAWD..... the HORROR!!!!

I'm not a smoker by the way, and I never claimed that smoking was not bad for you, I claimed that the perceived danger from brief encounters with second hand smoke have been blown way out of proportion. Your health is far more adversely affected by the thousands of other toxins you are exposed to on a daily basis without even knowing it, and I'd bet a small fortune that the smokers who DARE to light up in their cars aren't affecting your health one bit.

I think smokers in their cars driving down your building's driveway is probably the least of your problems.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 05-15-2015 at 09:54 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 09:03 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
What I hate is going into or out of a health facility with my oxygen-dependent bride, on a scooter, for health reasons NOT caused by smoking...and having to go through some smoking moron's cloud.

I do have sympathy for these poor souls, as well as those committing suicide with fork and spoon, or cases of beer, although I do not understand the impulse for self-destruction.
So hold your breath Smoking is legal.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Looking at the death toll of innocent victims :I say drunk drivers is by far #1.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:14 PM

Here are the 9 most common personality traits that are found in militant anti-smokers ( or militant anti-anything as far as that goes )

Recognising Anti-Smoking Types -- Health & Wellness -- Sott.net

Old 05-15-2015, 09:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Here's the post I was replying to in full, with the point of interest highlighted in bold.....

That's what I call some kind of disorder, paranoia, or hysteria. I don't expect you to see the absurdity in it because based on my previous interactions with you in other threads on similar topics, I suspect you're suffering from the same condition as they are.
I suspect you're suffering from a lack of reading comprehension either that or are so biased that you truly think that asthma and other breathing problems can't be exacerbated by inhaling smoke from cigarettes. I'll say it again, the poster said they had asthma. I'll even bold, underline, italicize and color the part. It iis a LOT different than just being offended by the smell (which said poster is too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1
You and me both. In my building, we have gotten
smokers in recent years, yet am told "there are hardly any smokers" - (Oh, that
really makes me feel better). The air around the building stinks and
I can rarely get fresh air anymore, unless it is windy or has
rained. Recently, it has begun smelling like smoke in my unit, whether the
windows have been closed or not (and is not from neighbors connected to my
unit). I think it is from a crappy ventilation system and smokers
driving down the driveway. (I sometimes spray air freshener, but I
also have Asthma
, so whether it is smoke or chemicals, I'm screwed). There is
such a lack of consideration.

The other thing is, the stupid-asses throw
their butts on the ground in the parking lot AND leave them around my car!
Trying to find out why and who is doing this has been futile. I have asked if
smokers can be given a specific place to deposit them, which apparently is "not
possible". (Funny, I wonder what others like the Manager might feel if it was
around their car). Iam so disgusted and will move into
a smoke-free place if only possible, which is difficult, having other
prerequisites besides.
So you can take your pig-crap about ASDS and cram it because that is all it is promoted by smokers who feel they are persecuted against by extremist against smoking. I am not an extremist, I just know that I can't be around smoke and desperately try to avoid designated smoking areas instead of egging it on by telling them not to smoke in their areas. However I do expect them not to smoke in areas that are designated non-smoking areas. Granted a stiff wind can be an issue that makes it harder but if they are in their area and not in an area they shouldn't be, I can't really fault them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies