Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 12:46 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The gas tax would be enough to cover highway costs if it wasn't robbed for non highway projects.
Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 02:01 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The gas tax would be enough to cover highway costs if it wasn't robbed for non highway projects.
It isn't robbed to the tune of 50%. Highways are money pits; they have a lower recovery rate than Amtrak does.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:22 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
It's run by government because private transit companies largely went bankrupt or otherwise bowed out of the business. I mean, we already know that private transit fails.
No, we don't know anything of the sort.

Private rail companies were run out of business by government regulations, absurd union rules and automobiles. 100 years ago the government controlled rail ticket prices then the automobile became a reality. Then union rules kept productivity very very low and governments beat them to death with high taxes.

If we had a free market today, private rail systems could be very successful.

Also, look at private rail in Japan;

Why Tokyo's Privately Owned Rail Systems Work So Well - CityLab

Old 05-16-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Privatize transportation? Heavens no!
Privatize transportation? Heavens yes!

Old 05-16-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Taking money from the working poor to subsidize the upper-middle class or rich just never made sense to me. YMMV.
And yet that's what many many government programs do. You don't see solar panels on trailer park houses and you don't see a Tesla parked in a neighborhood with $100,000 houses. All "green" programs transfer from the working class to the rich.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:30 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,683 times
Actually Amtrak trains are packed, try to get a ticket on one of the cross country routes... if anything we need more passenger trains.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So how would this public transportation that is run by a private corporation function?
Did you watch the video? There are many working quite nicely as pointed out in the video.

I'll help you with two examples;

The (Illegal) Private Bus System That Works - The Atlantic

Old 05-16-2015, 03:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Amtrak: $1bil per year
Highways: $50bil per year

How long until highways become self sustaining?
Have been for years. My road taxes via tolls, fuel and other taxes pay "my fair share".

It's time for rail users to pay "their fair share". After all, their saving on gas, taxes and insurance.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Actually Amtrak trains are packed, try to get a ticket on one of the cross country routes... if anything we need more passenger trains.
Whether or not the cars a packed is immaterial.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Did you watch the video? There are many working quite nicely as pointed out in the video.

I'll help you with two examples;

The (Illegal) Private Bus System That Works - The Atlantic
The private bus article has a number of inconsistencies as well as some cherry picking facts. It also seems the service they provide works best with small numbers and in areas that have inconsistent transit options.

A key point in this article is this.

"At $2 a ride, he needs to get 14 people in the van on the 5.6 mile trip from downtown Brooklyn to King's Highway to turn a profit." That is just to turn a profit, not everyone is commuting a minimum of 5.6 miles, therefore some people the transportation would actually be losing money to take a person. So then the question is, do they take them or not because it isn't profitable.

I remember a number of times I would just hop on the subway for a stop or two and then hop off. This was easy to do because it got me to where I was going a little faster than on foot, and I had a transit pass that made it so I could use transit whenever I needed without it costing me $2 per trip.

In that nature, offering unlimited transportation, which is something many people in NYC use for commuting, would be impossible to do as a private service without the risk of losing money.

As for Japan, there is a nice fun fact in that article, if the transit system isn't for a metro of 35 million people, then it probably won't turn a profit.

"Many third-sector railways outside of the Tokaido megalopolis are now in peril as their stabilization funds dwindle and further subsidies become unsustainable." So that means for smaller markets, a private transit system would probably be unsustainable and would end up dying off without heavy public subsidies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies