Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 01:50 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
And so? Just because there are fewer abortions being performed after 20 weeks makes it OK? Not for me. Especially since babies delivered at 24 weeks now have a 40-70% chance of survival. And, how many people are off by a week or two when reporting when they got pregnant? You have TWENTY weeks to take care of things. Not really a hardship for anyone.

Yes, it does make it okay, since like I shared earlier, the comprehensive ultrasound does not take place until close to this deadline of 20 weeks.

Only 1.4% of abortions (out of over 700,000) are performed after 20 weeks gestation, so only 7000 terminations. There is no reason to waste time enacting legislation over something that happens so infrequently (for the "leftist" commenter, this is my fiscal conservative leanings coming out).

Also, as shared, many people decide to abort upon learning of extreme fetal abnormalities. It is not unlikely that the majority of the 7000 terminations are done to non-viable fetuses.

For someone who pro-claims to be pro-choice, it doesn't seem you know much about this issue or of fetal abnormalities. You should educate yourself on the issue if you claim to be pro-choice. If you are anti-abortionist though, don't be afraid to admit that, its not a big deal to admit it. But to continually debate 7000 terminations in this country doesn't make sense.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:54 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
I'm sure the "panel" would be made up of board certified OBs and not some randomly selected religious body. It amazes me that people listen to fear mongering in lieu of common sense.
Mergers between religious health care organizations and formerly public hospitals is a big factor in the reduction of abortion services even in fairly large towns and cities. Just because abortion is legal doesn't mean it's available. I'll spare you the details of my personal story, but the concerns expressed above are not fear-mongering.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:54 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
And so? Just because there are fewer abortions being performed after 20 weeks makes it OK? Not for me. Especially since babies delivered at 24 weeks now have a 40-70% chance of survival. And, how many people are off by a week or two when reporting when they got pregnant? You have TWENTY weeks to take care of things. Not really a hardship for anyone.
I'm not sure what you consider a hardship. Say a young girl working as a waitress in Mountain Home, AR got pregnant and didn't want the baby. She doesn't realize she's pregnant until five weeks later, when she realizes she missed her period. Now we're down to 15 weeks. She doesn't have any money, so she's got to save up the funds to pay for the abortion. That's going to take some time. Now, she has to arrange to be off work for several days. Her boss wants to know why, but she doesn't want to tell him. And she has to have the time off because she has to travel to obtain that abortion. There are only two abortion providers in the state, both hours from where she lives. And the state requires a waiting period. So not only did she have to save up the money to pay for the abortion, she had to save up gas money for the trip, and motel money. I think hardship means different things to different people.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:58 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not sure what you consider a hardship. Say a young girl working as a waitress in Mountain Home, AR got pregnant and didn't want the baby. She doesn't realize she's pregnant until five weeks later, when she realizes she missed her period. Now we're down to 15 weeks. She doesn't have any money, so she's got to save up the funds to pay for the abortion. That's going to take some time. Now, she has to arrange to be off work for several days. Her boss wants to know why, but she doesn't want to tell him. And she has to have the time off because she has to travel to obtain that abortion. There are only two abortion providers in the state, both hours from where she lives. And the state requires a waiting period. So not only did she have to save up the money to pay for the abortion, she had to save up gas money for the trip, and motel money. I think hardship means different things to different people.
I am glad your creative writing class has been put to good use.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:58 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Yes, it does make it okay, since like I shared earlier, the comprehensive ultrasound does not take place until close to this deadline of 20 weeks.

Only 1.4% of abortions (out of over 700,000) are performed after 20 weeks gestation, so only 7000 terminations. There is no reason to waste time enacting legislation over something that happens so infrequently (for the "leftist" commenter, this is my fiscal conservative leanings coming out).

Also, as shared, many people decide to abort upon learning of extreme fetal abnormalities. It is not unlikely that the majority of the 7000 terminations are done to non-viable fetuses.

For someone who pro-claims to be pro-choice, it doesn't seem you know much about this issue or of fetal abnormalities. You should educate yourself on the issue if you claim to be pro-choice. If you are anti-abortionist though, don't be afraid to admit that, its not a big deal to admit it. But to continually debate 7000 terminations in this country doesn't make sense.
Couple questions: What year is that 700,000 from? In 2011 the total was 1.06 million which would be about 14k abortions taking place after 20 weeks. And I clearly stated that in cases of rape, fetal abnormalities and risk to the mother's life abortion should be allowed after 20 weeks. You clearly haven't read my posts with much comprehension. Or you just automatically dismiss posts that don't agree 100% with your views.

I am pro-choice. Women should have the right to choose, but does that have to mean they can choose at any time for any reason? Just like I'm A-Ok with people drinking. Just not the point where it causes pain and suffering to others. Does that mean I want Prohibition to make a come back?

Old 05-14-2015, 02:06 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I am glad your creative writing class has been put to good use.
Doesn't require much creativity to state the truth.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
First of all, you must be a guy since you have an incorrect view of ovulation, menstruation and when women know they're pregnant. Ovulation occurs approximately 14 days into a woman's cycle. That's when you can get pregnant. 2 weeks later, you get your period or you don't and would have to consider that you could be pregnant. Yes, there are some variances in this process, but unless you've been drinking heavily or are otherwise impaired, it doesn't take 5 weeks to figure it out. So we'll give you poor, little waif a 3 week grace period (no pun intended). Now she only has a measly 17 weeks (more than 4 months) to get her act together and get an abortion. I'm sorry she has to go through all that stuff you made up in your post. I really am. But, maybe having to face the stress of paying for and getting an abortion will make her wiser and more careful in future.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:10 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Doesn't require much creativity to state the truth.
When did exceptionally rare 1 in a million hypotheticals become the truth?

You might as well blaimed aliens for inpregnating someone without their knowledge as the reason why abortion after 20 weeks should happen.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:11 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Fetal age is calculated from LMP. When menstruation is irregular, dates are adjusted at the 20-week ultrasound, which is the most accurate time to do so.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Mergers between religious health care organizations and formerly public hospitals is a big factor in the reduction of abortion services even in fairly large towns and cities. Just because abortion is legal doesn't mean it's available. I'll spare you the details of my personal story, but the concerns expressed above are not fear-mongering.
I think abortion should be both legal and readily available. I'm sorry for whatever trauma you may have suffered. When I referred to fear mongering, I was not pointing at you. I get tired of both sides of the argument. One side screams that making abortion more available will lead to more abortions and to allowing them almost up until full term. The other side screams that any reduction in the number of weeks will lead to women having to suffer back alley abortions again and lead to an outright ban. Both are playing to the type of folks who like to wring their hand and claim the sky is falling instead of listening and thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies