Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is most likely in the Amtrak Crash? (multiple choice poll)
(Engineer) "does" remember what happened but is saying he doesn't likely to escape trouble... 51 52.04%
(Engineer) is working with ISIS and did this deliberately 4 4.08%
(Engineer) is mentally ill and did this and has no recollection 5 5.10%
This was purely an accident at 106 miles an hour... 11 11.22%
This was an ill-trained Engineer and he did not understand a curve was coming up 9 9.18%
The train malfunctioned and the Engineer could not pull out of the failure 9 9.18%
Amtrak is safe and crashes are rare..Ride the Rails.. 39 39.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 10:05 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
They actually had a CSI: Cyber episode about that very thing happening.
And the problem here is that too many overgrown children are eager to believe that what happens on TV can happen in real life.

Back in the Seventies, Hollywood came up with a made-for-TV melodrama called Disaster on the Coastliner; the fantasy merchants had so poor a concept of how rail traffic is actually controlled that a few lines from an ink marker (Sharpie, etc.) on a panel of clear plastic were used to depict the Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) systems which had already been developing and improving since the 1920's, But then, Hollywood has always been more concerned with who they're selling to than what they're selling).

And according to this pile of science-fantasy, passengers and crew were trapped on a completely remote-controlled train, speeding toward a head-on collision that was impossible to avoid. What nonsense!; But there are a couple of posters here who seem to think a similar concept could be safer than the present technology.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-25-2015 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 10:56 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Anyone up for playing chicken with Google cars?

Old 05-25-2015, 11:00 AM

1,733 posts, read 948,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Obviously he didnt fall asleep.
T-310 as you actually drive these things how possible is it some one hacked into the system and took control of some aspects of the trains operation/control?
Fwiw, I ran frieght trains out of San Antonio for many years, and ran Amtrak when needed. First for the SP and later, the UP, so yes, i know a little about trains.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:39 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Fwiw, I ran frieght trains out of San Antonio for many years, and ran Amtrak when needed. First for the SP and later, the UP, so yes, i know a little about trains.
And in your professional opinion you think that hacking into the trains controls is out of the question and that this guy could have fallen asleep while the train sped up and ultimately derailed. i thought there were safety protocols built into modern systems to prevent such an occurrence.
The reason i got the hacking idea was from a news story last week about a guy hacking into an airliners flight control

Old 05-25-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And in your professional opinion you think that this guy could have fallen asleep while the train sped up and ultimately derailed. i thought there were safety protocols built into modern systems to prevent such an occurrence.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that if he was nodding off and had his hand on the throttle, maybe he pushed it forward as he slumped forward. On the older engines, the throttle is to your left, like this:

Cab (locomotive) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the newer models, the throttle is in front of you, like this:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/d74zMlT_q9g/hqdefault.jpg

Like everyone else here, I don't know what actually happened, and probably won't for a very long time. But despite protests from the unions, Amtrak made changes that may have proven deadly in this case. But of course, Amtrak will never admit fault.

I-Team: Union Warned About Engineer Fatigue in Months Before Deadly Amtrak Crash | NBC New York

Accident investigators have been unwilling to speculate on whether operator error or mechanical problems led to Tuesday's deadly Amtrak derailment. But for months, members of the labor union representing locomotive engineers have complained that recent reductions in rest and downtime could lead to tragedy.
"You need to be able to have some kind of chance to get off the equipment, turn your mind off for a while," said Fritz Edler, a veteran engineer who wrote a scathing letter last December to Amtrak managers on behalf the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen.

The letter accused Amtrak of forcing "dangerous changes" in the scheduling of engineers that have had the effect of reducing rest time in between trips to Washington, D.C. and New York City.
"Forcing shorter breaks, day after day, between runs increases fatigue related risk and the potential for loss of focus," the letter warned.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:19 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
There are existing alertness sensors on locomotives designed to stop problems created by the driver nodding off. I have to assume they were there and working.

IMHO there should be some form of autopilot, probably based on GPS, that prevents trains from exceeding local speed limits, and aircraft from descending below ground level in mountains, installed on passenger trains. Adding an additional person in the control compartment would also help.

I consider AMTRAK to be a public service with no obligation to "make a profit" any more than I expect the police or the Coastguard to do so. I also support building a completely separate high or very high speed transport system for the entire country. That makes far more sense than multimillion dollar fighter planes or another billion dollar floating target. Or wasting countless dollars in the Middle East.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:21 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Another possible scenario: Just like the plane crash in 1972 where the pilots were preoccupied with a burnt out landing gear light and the plane crashed into the Florida Everglades..."

"The crash occurred as a result of the entire flight crew becoming preoccupied with a burnt-out landing gear indicator light, and failing to notice the autopilot had inadvertently been disconnected. As a result, while the flight crew was distracted with the indicator problem, the aircraft gradually lost altitude and crashed."

Could this also be a possible scenario? He (Bostian) was distracted, by texting or talking, or playing Candy Crush (big addictive game for some) or some other heavy distraction and he was so distracted, he crashed the train because he could not pull out of the curve in time.....

Old 05-25-2015, 02:23 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
From what I have heard the engineer is just as concerned with what happened as anyone else.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Another possible scenario: Just like the plane crash in 1972 where the pilots were preoccupied with a burnt out landing gear light and the plane crashed into the Florida Everglades..."

"The crash occurred as a result of the entire flight crew becoming preoccupied with a burnt-out landing gear indicator light, and failing to notice the autopilot had inadvertently been disconnected. As a result, while the flight crew was distracted with the indicator problem, the aircraft gradually lost altitude and crashed."

Could this also be a possible scenario? He (Bostian) was distracted, by texting or talking, or playing Candy Crush (big addictive game for some) or some other heavy distraction and he was so distracted, he crashed the train because he could not pull out of the curve in time.....

Not saying that isn't the case, however as I stated earlier in this thread, after the accident in California, train crews are subject to fines of $27,000 if found to be using their phones while on duty.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:19 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
True. But didn't the train accelerate right before the crash?
Which means the alerter was reset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies