Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:01 AM

132 posts, read 122,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I strongly agree a lot of African folks immigrating to the U.S. are high performers. It's all about parenting. They don't make excuses for themselves---they work hard and keep their noses clean. Here's a good example:

Mason whiz kid accepted to 5 Ivy League schools
Here's some examples of high performing Black Americans:

Tenn. teen who got into 8 Ivies decides on U. of Ala. - NY Daily News

Wilmington student gets into 7 Ivy League schools - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Five Ivy League colleges vie for DC student - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

'Jones Boys' Triplets Choose Which Ivy League University To Call Home

Bellevue Resident Sought by Ivy League Programs | Capital Community News

Akintunde Ahmad, Oakland "Street Dude" with 5.0 GPA, Appears on "The Ellen Show," Announces He Will Attend Yale | NBC Bay Area

Old 05-20-2015, 10:02 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Rightly so. This guy is not an academic. He is clone of Faux News. How does anyone one with a grain of common sense compare Asians and Black Americans?
I believe it depends on what they are comparing.

Comparisons can be researched and scientifically based.

But for him to say that Asians have typical American names and blacks have "made up" first names is blatantly ridiculous when the majority of black people have American names and not made up names.

I have a brother named Chris. I have a cousin named Marvin. My grandmother's name was Florence. I have a nephew who is 2 years old named Robert.

I have a very large family and none of my family has made up names and I'm black. We have common American surnames.

I also know quite a few Asians. I won't name them but most are of Vietnamese heritage. Three of them changed their names from Vietnamese names to Americanized names. The other 6 that graduated with me from high school have not and they are proud and should be of their culturally relevant names. Most of the Vietnamese persons I know were refugees who relocated here in the 1980s. I know some Thais and Laosians as well and practically all of them retained their cultural names upon immigrating.

To the silly persons who continue to believe the idea that all blacks are poor ghetto dwellers, please note that Vietnamese and Laosians and Hmongs and Filipinos also suffer with poverty and poor educational outcomes. Japanese and Koreans and Chinese on average do better academically and economically.

Also, various Africans like Nigerians and Ghanaians and Cameroonians come to this country and have similar educational achievements to Koreans and Chinese and I'm sure there are plenty of African students at Duke, which is over 30% black. Also many West Indian black persons come to college here and have a high degree of academic success. And it is of note that over 70% of black Americans are middle income earners. There are more black American men who go to college vs prison every year contrary to what many believe. Only 1% of black people commit any crimes annually. Black teen pregnancy rates have decreased the most of any other ethnic group. Black college degree attainment and graduate degree achievement is higher than it has ever been. Even job prospects and income are increasing for black Americans since 2010 when those areas had significant declines.

I also highly doubt all 30% of its black student body has "made up" first names.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:02 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
The idea that different people can be neatly categorised into different "races", is purely for convenience. The truth is, everybody is a different "race" from everyone else, insofar as their genetic makeup is different to a lesser or greater degree. At which point we decide two people are different enough to be considered a different race is quite arbitrary, and also depends on your frame of reference.

That being said, I personally do not believe professor is a racist, then again, I don't think most people are racists, even the "worst" kind. Just put yourself in another person's shoes, and you will know that most people are emotion driven, doesn't mean they are racists.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:03 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachlooter View Post
Duke Professor Defends Comments Comparing Blacks, Asians - ABC News

Updated: James B. Duke Professor Jerry Hough makes controversial comment on New York Times editorial | The Chronicle

Basically, this professor stated that asians have faced a lot of discrimination too, but have succeeded in society because they worked doubly hard and don't feel sorry for themselves.

What do you all think?
I think he's right but being right in today's political climate is just not good enough. You have to spout PC propaganda or you are both evil and insane.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:09 AM

The irony is that there is a large black middle class in the Raleigh-Durham area and in the Baltimore area. Of course he would overlook this.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
The liberals thru their welfare system have enslaved the blacks again. The Democrats give them handouts in exchange for their votes.
except, most black people live in red states there for the votes of black people in that essence does not matter.

And you republicans currently control 240+ seats in the House, 54 Senate seats, 31 Governorships, 28 Legislatures. How can you blame Democrats for anything with a straight face ?

Old 05-20-2015, 10:11 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times
One has to wonder why the mere concept of percentage is intellectually completely unobtainable by both Leftists and Race Baiters. They persistently trot out their little anecdotes that fly in the face of real numbers and somehow think it is meaningful. I guess it's part of living in a fantasy world.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:12 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,210 times
And God love those high performing black folks. Trust me when I say as a hyper-capitalist, that I wish there were millions more of those people. Unfortunately, there's not. Somehow we need to change popular black culture---from what I call a hip-hop nation---to that of a computer/science nerd nation. That's my dream.

Some my find it funny, but my favorite writers and political leaders tend to be black. Booker T. Washington, Ben Carson, Walter Williams, and Alan Keyes. All brilliant men.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
One has to wonder why the mere concept of percentage is intellectually completely unobtainable by both Leftists and Race Baiters. They persistently trot out their little anecdotes that fly in the face of real numbers and somehow think it is meaningful. I guess it's part of living in a fantasy world.
I think it is interesting that leftist, rightist, and race baiters use current statistical references and don't compare them to previous statisical studies that prove that black people on the whole are advancing in various categories at a rapid pace.

I also think it is living in a fantasy world to not believe that legalized discrimination had a dramatic negative affect on black Americans on the whole and that the end of these discriminatory norms has been a very recent phenomenon - a little over 50 years. In that 50 year span, poverty and education especially have dramatically improved amongst black Americans and continues to do so.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
And it is of note that over 70% of black Americans are middle income earners. There are more black American men who go to college vs prison every year contrary to what many believe. Only 1% of black people commit any crimes annually. Black teen pregnancy rates have decreased the most of any other ethnic group. Black college degree attainment and graduate degree achievement is higher than it has ever been. Even job prospects and income are increasing for black Americans since 2010 when those areas had significant declines.
Yep, and don't forget about the numerous contributions our people made to science and technology. Our inventions, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies