Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 07:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
No, you don't know what you are talking about. I am not here to educate you on how banking works. Your post is so wrong that it's beyond just being silly. It shows your complete ignorance, I am sorry to say that.
As is usually the case.....nothing but a fit.

Quote:
Banks have to make loans. If they don't, they would go bankrupt as that's like saying Microsoft doesn't need to produce software.
Are they or are they not getting paid millions in interest on the money just sitting by the fed?

Quote:
If what you said actually happened, we would be in hyperinflation. How does the Fed pay the banks on the currency the Fed prints???
http://www.frbsf.org/education/publi...ances-reserves

Old 05-22-2015, 08:00 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do you know what "reserve" is?

Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Do you know what "reserve" is?
Yep....the money that the Fed gave to the banks but is holding at the reserve. We were told this money had to be created to lend out but why lend it when the Fed gives you a gauranteed return on money that really isn't hours to start with?

And if it was needed to lend why is it sitting?

Old 05-22-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Yep....the money that the Fed gave to the banks but is holding at the reserve. We were told this money had to be created to lend out but why lend it when the Fed gives you a gauranteed return on money that really isn't hours to start with?

And if it was needed to lend why is it sitting?
Bank reserves or central bank reserves are banks' holdings of deposits in accounts with their central bank (for instance the European Central Bank or the Federal Reserve, in the latter case including federal funds), plus currency that is physically held in the bank's vault ("vault cash").[1] Some central banks set minimum reserve requirements, which require banks to hold deposits at the central bank equivalent to at least a specified percentage of their liabilities such as customer deposits. Even when there are no reserve requirements, banks often opt to hold some reserves —called desired reserves— against unexpected events such as unusually large net withdrawals by customers or bank runs.

Anyways, if you want to discuss banking, let's open a new thread.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:47 AM

You can't discuss a problem without discussing the reason for the problem.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
You can't discuss a problem without discussing the reason for the problem.
I do not know the reason why the liberals want to screw both the poor and the employers by raising the minimum wage. From what I gathered, it may be because of their ignorance and greed.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:15 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
I do not know the reason why the liberals want to screw both the poor and the employers by raising the minimum wage. From what I gathered, it may be because of their ignorance and greed.
Technically it isn't about being liberal, its about being unconstrained. A Conflict of Visions: Ideological Origins of Political Struggles: Thomas Sowell: 9780465002054: Amazon.com: Books sums it up nicely.

Constrained vision - relies on the past as the best predictor
unconstrained vision - imagines where we should be

So typical Liberal idealougy is very unconstrained. that isn't bad or good. It can be very good on certain things (rights, etc) and . . IMHO horrible at other things (economics).

Its not greed or any kind of ill itent. Those who see a $15 minimum wage, buy a prius, or use a locally sourced food. . have a goal in mind. The issue is that every thing has costs. . .and weights and you can't just focus on where you want to go. You really should rely on where you have been, and what has happened.

A prius is full of batteries, and batteries are huge economic burdens. its better to buy a used car (for enviorement). Minimum wage can impact employment, inflation, etc and doesn't really solve the true issue (more americans are using low wage jobs to support famalies). Locally sourced food eats up a lot more resources than consolidated large GMO farms.

You will never get someone to weigh the cost of something if they ignore reality and only focus on the goal.

Unconstraned - our sociali gender and equality vision should be unconstrained
Constrained - we should focus on what has gotten us to the most propersous time in human history, and it wans't Buddah, Christ, giving to others, etc. it was capitialisim.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:15 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Because clearly, giving huge tax breaks to corporations that continue to screw over workers and export jobs overseas has been working so brilliantly, right?

In the minds of the regressive radical right, it's NEVER time for the working class a raise.

If the economy is bad: "We can't give workers a raise because it will stall recovery!"

If the economy is good: "We can't give workers a raise because it will cause an economic downturn!"

The only trickle down that the working class has experienced is a warm yellow trickle while the top 1% get wealthier and wealthier.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Because clearly, giving huge tax breaks to corporations that continue to screw over workers and export jobs overseas has been working so brilliantly, right?

In the minds of the regressive radical right, it's NEVER time for the working class a raise.

If the economy is bad: "We can't give workers a raise because it will stall recovery!"

If the economy is good: "We can't give workers a raise because it will cause an economic downturn!"

The only trickle down that the working class has experienced is a warm yellow trickle while the top 1% get wealthier and wealthier.
Again, for the thousandth time: it's not the employers don't want to pay more; it's the position or work performed isn't worth that much.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I'm not about to argue that the other side of the equation where only the poor and middle class gets screwed is any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies