Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 03:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

You mean the respectful, polite, ethical, rednecks, that have more integrity than, our current President ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 04:02 PM

6 posts, read 10,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
It's always whitey's fault, isn't it? In some way or another, the white man is always behind the ruse.

God forbid anyone take responsibility for their own choices in life.
Lol, read my quote again. Love how you proved my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What a joke. The South's economy is Booming in most areas. The Northern economies are the ones suffering.
Blacks in the South overall are doing fairly well. Blacks in the North are mostly in poverty and on Govt handouts.

It's obvious you've not been to Texas, Georgia, Florida, etc lately.
Yeah, which is why the south leads in obesity and lags the rest of the country in income and education, not to mention the south are leeches taking in more tax dollars than contributions. That southern education didn't work too well huh

Old 05-29-2015, 04:04 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
However that includes Baltimore & DC and I'm not sure most people today would consider them Southern cities.

anything north of Montgomery alabama is a northern city, if its snow, its north

Old 05-29-2015, 04:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's quite clear that European culture influenced African slaves. The descendants of African slaves in Bermuda act differently than US Blacks who act differently from Brazilian Blacks.
Thank you. Damn...it really is THAT SIMPLE!

If anything, Sowell overstated the case. It's not that deep.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:52 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, but what he said is true.

You can disagree with truth all you want. But it's still the truth.
Quote:
It emulates American culture PERIOD...not just Southern Redneck Culture. They both come out of the same culture.

Yep.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:04 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioendoic View Post
Conservative columnist Thomas Sowell wrote an essay (summarized here: Black rednecks and white liberals - Thomas Sowell - Page full claiming that American black culture is largely redneck.
I see many similarities, one striking point is how many southerners still blame northerners for the dismal economy in the south while claiming black americans blame white americans for the same thing.
Ann Coulter mentioned this exact thing in her book Mugged. Think what you will of Ann, but I like the way that she took a swipe at southern rednecks by mentioning Sowell's book on that topic. She basically said that southern rednecks came from the same region of the world (the British Isles) as the people who settled New England. The difference being that the settlers in New England were educated and genteel, whereas the settlers in the south were violent and uncivilized.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I can't say I'm all that big on watermellon, but if ya'all want to invite me over for some fried chicken, I'm in.
There ain't a thing wrong with watermelon, as long as it's GOOD. I ate some of the "seedless" kind and went "yuck".

Old 05-29-2015, 05:37 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
There are many, many problems, intellectually and historically, with the linked essay, but I'll only point out a few:
    • The analysis completely ignores the "Great Migration" of African Americans to the urban North in the early 20th Century, mostly after WWI but also after WWII and in the inter-war period, and it thereby fails to account for important developments in African-American culture that were independent from although rooted in southern culture;
    • Given that perhaps willful ignorance, the analysis does not take into account any of the well-documented federal racist policies that led to northern, urban ghetto formation, including but not limited to redlining, covenant agreements, and FHA lending policies that also had a hand in creating black urban culture;
    • The analysis does not take into account the pro-business and anti-labor policies of the "New South" that arose in the post-Civil Rights Movement era that actually made the Sun Belt prosperous (see Lassiter and McGirr for more on that). A lot of people actually got rich on the backs of "rednecks,' and reasonable people are still arguing about what that might mean for the region in particular and the country in general.
    • The analysis fails to account for the campaign of racially-based terrorism waged against black people in the U.S. from Reconstruction on through the Civil Rights Movement, up through, say, Medgar Evers' assassination and the killings of three activists in MS in 1964.

These are just a few easy flaws I found in what Sowell is trying to argue, but there are many more. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and merely maintain that his claims are incredibly simplistic.
Did you read the whole essay?

Old 05-29-2015, 08:38 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Did you read the whole essay?
Didn't read any of it I would suspect.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:43 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Quote:
Perhaps...I don't doubt it.

Still though, what Sowell is postulating here is not only accurate, but makes perfect sense given America's history.
Accurate, seriously?

Sowell's argument makes no sense and I have yet to read a single word to substantiate his comments other than to read retreaded racial stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies