Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 07:13 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,254 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who doesn't see the logic in having it be illegal to drink alcohol in public? First, let me say that I realize cities like New Orleans, Memphis, Fredericksburg, Vegas, and a few others allow it. After traveling to other countries and seeing how it is legal to drink on the streets, it made me wonder why for the most part it ain't the same back home. Is the law a ploy to get people to go to local bars to drink there (and increase revenue for the businesses in the area)? Maybe cities feel there will be too many hobos drinking on the street if they make it legal? Perhaps there are valid reasons why they made it illegal, but I personally think it's too much of a "police state" mentality.

I believe the police should punish the acts, and not the consumption. If you work a long day and want to peacefully walk down the street with a beer in your hand, I support that.

Anyone else ever pondered why it's this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 07:24 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Pour some rum in your coke can and walk away...

Old 05-31-2015, 08:10 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Might as well, they allow folks to walk down the street smoking a joint here.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:34 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Because America is absurdly conservative and as a rule, anything we don't approve of, we just make illegal.

I agree, people should be allowed to drink in public. We can allow people to have a beer on the streets and still get people for drunken and disorderly conduct, the latter should be a misdemeanor offense. But having them both be illegal is just a way to satisfy our conservative nature and to add a second fine to someone.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:54 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't see the logic in having it be illegal to drink alcohol in public? First, let me say that I realize cities like New Orleans, Memphis, Fredericksburg, Vegas, and a few others allow it. After traveling to other countries and seeing how it is legal to drink on the streets, it made me wonder why for the most part it ain't the same back home. Is the law a ploy to get people to go to local bars to drink there (and increase revenue for the businesses in the area)? Maybe cities feel there will be too many hobos drinking on the street if they make it legal? Perhaps there are valid reasons why they made it illegal, but I personally think it's too much of a "police state" mentality.

I believe the police should punish the acts, and not the consumption. If you work a long day and want to peacefully walk down the street with a beer in your hand, I support that.

Anyone else ever pondered why it's this way?
I totally agree.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Because America is absurdly conservative and as a rule, anything we don't approve of, we just make illegal.
Last time I checked the Dems don't think any different on this topic than the Reps.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Might as well, they allow folks to walk down the street smoking a joint here.
And what's wrong with that?

Old 05-31-2015, 09:12 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
I like how New Orleans does it. You can't have a can or bottle on the street but plastic containers are good. Every bar or place that sells alcohol for consumption on premise has plastic "go-cups" in which you can pour your drink and sip from while walking down the street. Plus they have the most awesome invention ever - drive through frozen daiquiri stands!

Old 05-31-2015, 09:29 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

I agree, people should be allowed to drink in public. We can allow people to have a beer on the streets and still get people for drunken and disorderly conduct, the latter should be a misdemeanor offense. But having them both be illegal is just a way to satisfy our conservative nature and to add a second fine to someone.
I agree, open container laws are backwards. Canada used to be even worse, you couldn't even have an open container on your own property outside, if it can be seen off your property. I'd extend that to include IN VEHICLES. No, I don't propose driving drunk, but one beer isn't a problem while driving. Less of an issue than stopping for 2-3 drinks, being under .08 and driving home.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:41 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Last time I checked the Dems don't think any different on this topic than the Reps.
I wasn't referring to a political ideology. I was referring to how we conduct ourselves. In that regard, few Americans are liberal, even the Democrats.

As I said, we are quite conservative, in some areas reactionary, when compared to the other world leaders, with the exception of a select few. Open container laws, for example. The war on drugs. All massive failures that have roots in a conservative logic, even if they have bipartisan support. Which is not uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies