Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 04:57 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
So, just about the best places on Earth are run, controlled, and inhabited by my ancestors? White people? Are we sure about this? I have to keep asking, just to make sure.
America, Canada, and South America belonged to the Native Americans.

Europe was colonized by folks that walked from Africa to the North. That land belongs to Europeans.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Depending on your employer in the U.S. employees do get paid sick leave. Also you can take up to 6 months unpaid family leave.
Unpaid job protected family leave is limited to 12 weeks.

It's extended to 26 weeks only if necessary to care for a wounded service member of the family.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
And they pay the citizens, what a novel idea!
Right here in USA.

However, we all know the Republican residents of Alaska refuse the money because they hate government interference in their lives. So the ones that benefit are the liberal folks.
That's $7536 annually for a family of 4.

This is the same state that tried to earmark $400 million for a bridge to nowhere. Palin supported until the backlash forced her to back off.

The Alaskan Rep and Senator that pulled the pork stunt had no problem getting re elected. The Rep continues in Congress after 40+ years. The Senator eventually retired with the longest Senate record in history.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:06 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,477 times
Oh just call it what it is already, breeder welfare.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Most babies I know would rather spend time with their moms than a stranger in daycare center.

It is well known that working out of the house is much easier than spending the first year raising babies. A day at work is a cakewalk compared to caring for a baby 24/7.

Luckliy in Scandinavia folks do not discriminate moms. Obviously you feel very loyal to corporate America.

This is our Amercan culture. We live to work! It is very ingrained in most of us.
Meanwhile the work week is close to 30 hours in Norway and when moms finish their VERY long maternity leave they can bring the kid to work where you find a company that provides free care to the kids right next to where mom works. And to make things better they also provide a gym so mom can work out and stay in shape. No need to hit the gym after a long day at work.

Watch this video about an Amercan that lives in Norway. He will tell you how Scandinavians live from day to day. They live better than you, have less stress, and work much less than you do. Bit, you are too loyal to the tycoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzT1jmcDNPI
Really? You asked the babies and they answered? This is YOUR assumption. My experience is that babies don't mind having more than one caregiver. They seem quite capable of bonding with multiple people to me. What babies prefer if you will is good care. Yes they will come to prefer one caregiver if that is what they are given but that doesn't mean they couldn't prefer two or three. Babies come into this world ready to adapt to the situation they are born into. I have never understood women who take long leaves. IMO all they do is get the baby good and used to just them and then pull the rug out from under the poor child. IMO long leaves are anti child as the child has a hard time adjusting to the parent returning to work. I will reiterate: What I think we need is life/work balance for ALL workers and good quality day care.

Working parents do BOTH. They work jobs AND parent. Being a working parent isn't easy but that's fine. Most things in life worth doing aren't easy. Working parents know what it's like to care for their children all day because they do it on days off of work. They also know what it's like to care for their children before/after working. Yes the job complicates things but it also often improves the child's SES which is the #1 predictor of outcomes.

Really? There's no discrimination against Scandinavian moms? The last piece I read discussing research on how long leave impact women in their system ended with the line "God help you if you're a 30 YO childless woman looking for a job" implying that no one wants to hire them. From what I've read there is a lot of discrimination from channeling women into lower responsibility jobs, to promoting men over women, and simply not hiring women if they haven't had kids yet. It's hard to hold someone's job for a year and a half and it's not necessary. It would be nearly impossible for employers to not think of that when deciding who to hire, who to train and who to promote.

What long leaves say is "Women belong home". That is not what I want society to think about my daughters. Staying home was never about the babies in the past. It was about the necessity to have someone in the home canning the vegetables, feeding the farm animals, churning the butter, baking the bread, making/mending clothes, cooking the meals, etc, etc, etc. Fortunately they took most of the work out of keeping a home and a family fed over the last 60 or so years. If my grandmother was to be believed about 60 hours of work that did not include child care in the home has been eliminated by modern conveniences. I made the mistake of complaining to her about how hard being a working mom was and BOY did I get an earful about what her day was like staying home in the 1940's. Today's full time working moms have more time to spend with their kids than my grandmother did hers because she was too busy canning, baking, sewing, washing clothes on a wash board, hanging them to dry on a line and then ironing them (no permanent press), walking to market daily (no refrigerator),....etc, etc, etc... the list goes ON and ON. According to my grandmother, in her day, parenting amounted to the kids raising themselves while the moms took care of the home. She told me that the big difference today is that it's actually someone's job to watch the kids. Her fear was that kids were getting too much adult attention these days. I teach high school now and I'm finding I agree with grandma. We do WAY too much for our kids. In her day children were born into a family and they adapted to that family. Today the family transforms around the kids. The parents used to be the center of the family. Today it's the kids.

I don't care what they have in Scandinavian countries. This is the U.S. and we are free to make our own way. Just because some countries think women belong at home doesn't mean we have to think that. We need work/life balance not what amounts to welfare for mothers and fathers. I was very fortunate when I had my kids that I had a good job that didn't require a lot of OT. I could afford good day care and had plenty of time for my family. If I had it to do over the only thing I'd change is I would not have gone part time after dd#2 was born. The career penalties for mommy tracking myself like that were too high and in hind sight it wasn't necessary. I remember those lazy days with two kids at home quite well. They weren't worth it in the end but they were fun. I think I made that move out of guilt but now that I look back I realize there was never anything to feel guilty about. My kids were no better/worse off with me working full time or part time.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-01-2015 at 07:40 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 07:34 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Female labor force participation rate, 25-64 year olds (2014):

Sweden: 85%
Norway: 80.8%
Denmark 78.1%
Iceland: 85.6%
Finland 78.7%
United States: 70.2%

Source: OECD
https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?Da...LFS_SEXAGE_I_R

Far more women work in the Nordic countries than in the US, to the benefit of the economy and household incomes. Proper parental leave policies make it possible to combine a career with children and women dont have to choose. If the US had the same labor force participation rates as the Nordics, it would be a boost to the US economy of several hundred billion dollars per year.

Paternal leave also make discrimination of women less of an issue.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:40 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times
Good Job!
Sweden

Old 09-01-2015, 07:43 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Female labor force participation rate, 25-64 year olds (2014):

Sweden: 85%
Norway: 80.8%
Denmark 78.1%
Iceland: 85.6%
Finland 78.7%
United States: 70.2%

Source: OECD
https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?Da...LFS_SEXAGE_I_R

Far more women work in the Nordic countries than in the US, to the benefit of the economy and household incomes. Proper parental leave policies make it possible to combine a career with children and women dont have to choose. If the US had the same labor force participation rates as the Nordics, it would be a boost to the US economy of several hundred billion dollars per year.

Paternal leave also make discrimination of women less of an issue.
As a working mom, I disagree. It's not parental leaves that make it possible to combine a career and children. Parental leaves actually separate family and jobs as if one cannot do both at the same time. It's work/life balance and the availability of affordable high quality day care that makes it possible to combine career and children. What helped me combine career and children was that my job had flexible hours, I could afford high quality day care AND (most important of all) I had a husband who stepped up to the plate. The things that help you combine career and children are things that help keep you in the work force not things that send you home for however many months. That is not combining career and children. That is separating career and children.

I agree with your last line. When it is equally likely that men will take long leaves as women then and only then will discrimination against women because they take leaves stop. Unfortunately, it will actually take a couple of generations for the stereotype that it's women who take leaves to die even then. However, I would argue that long leaves are not needed by either parent. What is needed is work/life balance and it's not just parents who need that. Our quality of life goes up when we have work life balance.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-01-2015 at 07:52 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 07:51 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Good Job!
Sweden
Yeah, except if you knew anything about Sweden it is not going well at all. It is no accident that the party which the prime minister call facist, get 25% in opinion polls.

Of course I could mention all the problems that is going on in Sweden, like I did last time, but it will be forgotten in a page.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Yeah, except if you knew anything about Sweden it is not going well at all. It is no accident that the party which the prime minister call facist, get 25% in opinion polls.

Of course I could mention all the problems that is going on in Sweden, like I did last time, but it will be forgotten in a page.
I am fan of European system except for few things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies