Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 04:55 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times

Advertisements

Here in NYC we're now forced to pay for daycare.. Er, I mean Pre-K. Supposedly it's good for the children and makes them smarter (untrue after about 3rd grade where everything evens out and the kids with stupid parents, for the most part, start expressing their own genetic dumbness and environmental maladies as expected), but in reality it's just tax funded garbage to pay for other peoples' baby sitters. The problem is that we have all these already very wealthy people, and already very upwardly mobile people demanding their free Pre-K and it's the suckers who DON'T breed and HAVE to work who wind up getting screwed. There really should be a few states that are adult-only. NYC is crawling with uppity babies these days, it's disgusting. Sorry for the rant and it veering a little off topic. I'm a bit of a nihilist in my view of the human condition. I should have been a dog, but the wrong ***** got knocked up.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:39 PM

358 posts, read 283,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Here in NYC we're now forced to pay for daycare.. Er, I mean Pre-K. Supposedly it's good for the children and makes them smarter (untrue after about 3rd grade where everything evens out and the kids with stupid parents, for the most part, start expressing their own genetic dumbness and environmental maladies as expected), but in reality it's just tax funded garbage to pay for other peoples' baby sitters. The problem is that we have all these already very wealthy people, and already very upwardly mobile people demanding their free Pre-K and it's the suckers who DON'T breed and HAVE to work who wind up getting screwed. There really should be a few states that are adult-only. NYC is crawling with uppity babies these days, it's disgusting. Sorry for the rant and it veering a little off topic. I'm a bit of a nihilist in my view of the human condition. I should have been a dog, but the wrong ***** got knocked up.
Jeez calm down

Old 09-02-2015, 06:52 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I know a good counselor!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Were are so far removed from what Sweden is that we can't compare ourselves.

I was fine with the 6 weeks sick leave + disability package I got. It wasn't quite full pay but it was enough to let me have the 6 weeks without hurting financially, but not so much as to make me feel entitled not to work at all for several months. I think complications with birth may require extra time but everyone else? It's unnecessary.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Were are so far removed from what Sweden is that we can't compare ourselves.

I was fine with the 6 weeks sick leave + disability package I got. It wasn't quite full pay but it was enough to let me have the 6 weeks without hurting financially, but not so much as to make me feel entitled not to work at all for several months.
You are brainwashed.
The U.S. is the Most Overworked Developed Nation in the World – When do we Draw the Line?
The U.S. is the Most Overworked Nation in the World

Quote:
The U.S. is the ONLY country in the Americas without a national paid parental leave benefit. The average is over 12 weeks of paid leave anywhere other than Europe and over 20 weeks in Europe.
Zero industrialized nations are without a mandatory option for new parents to take parental leave. That is, except for the United States.
Quote:
In the U.S., 85.8 percent of males and 66.5 percent of females work more than 40 hours per week.
According to the ILO, “Americans work 137 more hours per year than Japanese workers, 260 more hours per year than British workers, and 499 more hours per year than French workers.”
Using data by the U.S. BLS, the average productivity per American worker has increased 400% since 1950. One way to look at that is that it should only take one-quarter the work hours, or 11 hours per week, to afford the same standard of living as a worker in 1950 (or our standard of living should be 4 times higher). Is that the case? Obviously not. Someone is profiting, it’s just not the average American worker.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
How does that make ME "brainwashed"? I don't give a flying fig what the rest of the world does, I'm telling you it was fine for me. 40 hours a week of work, 6 weeks leave for a baby, my choice to have one, two or more children knowing the pros/cons because I'm not stupid.
Up until NOW nobody was going to wahwaahwaaaah about maternity leave, know why? Can you guess? The secret is that everyone HAS IT SO MUCH BETTER TODAY THAN IN THE PAST that we now go looking for the luxuries in life to demand. Only we falsely believe we can have those luxuries without hurting anything or anyone else. Sure we COULD give everyone everything but it would demand a complete and total redo of our countries finances, ideals and priorities. It's not just a matter of "hey, let's do this and it will all work out because we're a rich 1st world country".

Old 09-07-2015, 08:13 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Who has to pay for it, the employer, or the tax-payer? Either way, it's not right.
Because it would be so much better to keep wasting countless billions of taxpayer dollars to send young Americans to get maimed and killed in endless overseas military misadventures.

Who has to pay for all that? The public or the private sector? Either way its not right, morally or otherwise.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
How does that make ME "brainwashed"? I don't give a flying fig what the rest of the world does, I'm telling you it was fine for me. 40 hours a week of work, 6 weeks leave for a baby
Why do you defend the management of corporate America? Are you a CEO? Are you a business owner?

Quote:
The secret is that everyone HAS IT SO MUCH BETTER TODAY THAN IN THE PAST that we now go looking for the luxuries in life to demand. Only we falsely believe we can have those luxuries without hurting anything or anyone else. Sure we COULD give everyone everything but it would demand a complete and total redo of our countries finances, ideals and priorities. It's not just a matter of "hey, let's do this and it will all work out because we're a rich 1st world country".
It has been getting better for a long time and it needs to continue to get better. We don't have child labor anymore thanks to liberals and the unions. We have a 40 hour work week instead of 60 to 80 hours because of liberals. You got six weeks because of unions and liberals. Get the point?

It is quite possible to change. Why are you resistant to change? Life would be better for all if we only work 30 hours and had more vacation and maternity leave. Why do you defend big business?

Old 09-07-2015, 11:16 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Why do you defend the management of corporate America? Are you a CEO? Are you a business owner?

It has been getting better for a long time and it needs to continue to get better. We don't have child labor anymore thanks to liberals and the unions. We have a 40 hour work week instead of 60 to 80 hours because of liberals. You got six weeks because of unions and liberals. Get the point?

It is quite possible to change. Why are you resistant to change? Life would be better for all if we only work 30 hours and had more vacation and maternity leave. Why do you defend big business?
I know! It amazes me how people say "hey you got your 40 hr work week, stop the madness!". What the heck....soo..hey things got better, stop it? Meanwhile the rest of the world does things that are in the interests of their populations, while way too many here want to just benefit the rich and business owners.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:05 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Its cool what you can offer when you don't believe you must be the world's police force.
Would have also been nice for Europe to have actually paid for its own military during the Cold War instead of expecting the US to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies