Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 08:19 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,164,577 times

Advertisements

Reasonable accommodation.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:36 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,690,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Muslims don't wear what they wear as a fashion statement.

And?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Reasonable accommodation.
If you look at the pages after pages after pages of regulatory definitions it took to define "reasonable accommodations" it becomes more understandable why companies offshore.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,876,816 times
I'm sure Ambercrombie would have had no problem with her wearing her hijab over her vagina, under her outer clothes.

Kinda makes me wonder what kind of underwear those Muslim women wear.

It would probably cost too much to find out.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 AM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
I was deleted for saying this on this topic.. I will post again. I was in Sears saw a middle eastern woman in a head scarf. I was not offended and I am a Christian.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:55 AM

520 posts, read 532,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I was deleted for saying this on this topic.. I will post again. I was in Sears saw a middle eastern woman in a head scarf. I was not offended and I am a Christian.
Thats good, but it really doesnt mean much if a person is offended or not. Get over it, because there is nothing you can do. Laws are laws.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:55 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
If you look at the pages after pages after pages of regulatory definitions it took to define "reasonable accommodations" it becomes more understandable why companies offshore.
Yeah to countries that allow headscarf or religious facial jewelry and don't have companies that say "you can't have that head covering."

Old 06-04-2015, 09:00 AM

571 posts, read 791,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
This is one of those PC arguments that simply fails on it's face. It's a private company. If you want to work there and they require you to wear pink underwear, then that's their prerogative.
Private companies still have to follow the law. The same way that companies have to follow safety regulations, pay overtime, pay minimum wage, not have racially discriminatory hiring practices, not hire child labor, etc...they have to make reasonable concessions to legitimate religious expression.

What if merely being Muslim (or Christian, by the law) was claimed by a company to be "at odds with A&F's corporate philosophy"?

Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,690,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You would lose that bet because the salesperson is part of the product.

Right. In Europe you'll typically find women wearing hijab's, even in some of the most expensive women's clothing stores, apparently they have no problem selling fashion. We're not talking about women wearing full-on burka's here but fashionably dressed, attractive young women wearing a scarf on their head. The only people that could take offense to that are largely bigots.

Quote:
When your product is style, you want sales people who represent your product. If I'm selling chic clothing I want my front line people to wear the same style and look good doing it. If my business model requires attractive women, then I will hire only attractive women.
And a woman wearing a hijab doesn't change any of that, any more than a woman wearing a crucifix would. You can dress in the same style as you are selling, you can be young and attractive AND you still don't have to check your religious beliefs at the door.

Quote:
There should be no laws telling a business what they can require employees to wear. If I'm offended by an employer's dress code, I can CHOOSE not to work there.

You absolutely can, but your employer is also not allowed to discriminate against you on the basis of your religion. The Supreme Court simply reiterated that.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:11 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
No they didn't. They never gave her the option.
Yeah she came to the interview like that and otherwise would have gotten the job.

Quote:
Its crazy that this is what we have devolved to. "Yes, you have a legitimate reason for a clothing policy but no you do not" is not a legitimate decision for the government to make.
That is because of the job duties. If it was say an HVAC you couldn't wear ahijab because it could get caught in the units. At a Hooters they cannot because dressing scantily clad is a part of the job description. A hair model would need to show their hair. Show me anywhere where it says Abercrombie & Fitch employees NEED to have their hair out in the open. That is the difference, and the rain for "they do not but you do," there needs to be a reason for that to be essential to the duties of the job. Think of it this way, the fire department isn't hiring a wheelchair bound person for truck duty but they could for dispatch work because the BFQs of being on an engine that don't exist on the dispatch position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies