Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 06:01 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,214,065 times

Advertisements

Americans Are Becoming More Liberal On Social Issues

"It's a center right country"-Karl Rove

Old 06-04-2015, 06:45 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,264,566 times
yeah and people were like that in the roaring 20s and the pendullum swung back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post

Old 06-04-2015, 06:47 AM

7,327 posts, read 6,951,302 times
Government mandated immorality does not speak for all the people.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:02 AM

463 posts, read 321,992 times
And government trying to enforce morality doesn't work.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:39 AM

63,121 posts, read 29,298,121 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, I might add.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:44 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,126,615 times
Quote:

This is why I keep saying that it's time for the Tea Party and other extreme far right bible thumpers to take notice and move on. Drop the social issues. Gay marriage, abortion, etc are here to stay. Let's move on to other issues.

Social issues are an albatross around the neck of my party (the GOP). People like Huckabee, Sanitarium, Jindal, etc are dinosaurs that need to be ditched. Moderate Northeastern Republicans are what the GOP needs to listen to.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:51 AM

45,730 posts, read 27,355,122 times
The poll surveyed 1,024 people in 50 states and DC. That's about 20 people per state.

Don't trust polls.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:56 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,702,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
And government trying to enforce morality doesn't work.
But conservatives insist that morality is the only thing you can legislate. That's why they would say we need to keep the war on drugs, since they feel getting high is so immoral and dangerous. Many conservatives would say that even if some laws are difficult to enforce, such as sodomy, the government would at least be providing guidelines as how to behave or morally conduct one's life. So many conservatives would support making laws against sodomy as constitutional.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:02 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,106,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But conservatives insist that morality is the only thing you can legislate. That's why they would say we need to keep the war on drugs, since they feel getting high is so immoral and dangerous.
Social conservatives is a poison. It dictates how others should live their lives and is the enemy of freedom. That's not to say I don't sympathize with some of their views. Being forced to accept gay marriage if you are devoted to your faith is unfair, and I adamantly support gay rights and am willing to acknowledge that. Abortion is an uncomfortable subject and I refuse to claim that those who are against are doing so because they hate women. But aside from those two issues, I for the most part see it as nothing but invading people's personal lives. People should be allowed to do whatever drug they want. They suffer any consequences it brings, but someone who is addicted needs help, not punishment.

And that's not to say individualistic social conservatism is bad, as in, living your personal life in a socially conservative way. That's perfectly fine. But to expect others to do so is the enemy of liberty.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:11 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,702,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
This is why I keep saying that it's time for the Tea Party and other extreme far right bible thumpers to take notice and move on. Drop the social issues. Gay marriage, abortion, etc are here to stay. Let's move on to other issues.

Social issues are an albatross around the neck of my party (the GOP). People like Huckabee, Sanitarium, Jindal, etc are dinosaurs that need to be ditched. Moderate Northeastern Republicans are what the GOP needs to listen to.
But in the Red States, such as Oklahoma, many people wish more Republican church pastors, like Huckabee, would run for political office. The issues closest to the hearts of people in such states really are stopping gay marriage, banning abortion, promotion of Christianity in public schools, posting The Ten Commandments in or outside of public buildings, opposition to marijuana law reform, etc. And of course, pastors are closest to these issues as well. While he has a lot of competition, Huckabee is sure to win a number of Red States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies