Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 05:04 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Wells are not part of the fracking operations, very parochial point of view don't you think.

Yes thousands of pages of regulations and maybe 3 inspectors for a few thousand wells in South Dakota, thousands of miles of pipelines, yes the industry is unregulated. They get regulated after a spill not before, please share with me all the enormous fines that have been leveled on companies that had spills.
I know you don't know of any spills in Texas therefore none occurred, maybe you should start by reading some of the stories by newspapers rather than living in your small world.
I wonder if I can find a croquet ball to have a conversation with? It would clearly be superior to this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The thing is (and I'm a studying geologist and know a little bit about this) is that fracking is done so deep in the ground that there is almost always an impermeable (meaning fluid cannot pass through) layer of rock between the actual fracking site and the aquifer.

Even if the chemicals used could be harmful, they really don't have a way to reach the water source.
Good luck. They don't really want to know the facts.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
I clearly do know what they mean - that is why I posted them.

Your defense has been reduced to childish jabs.
My defense is appropriate to your level of actual knowledge which is obviously zero.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:15 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I wonder if I can find a croquet ball to have a conversation with? It would clearly be superior to this one.
Proceed on to get the thread shut down with insults when you have no answers.

"But we have thousands of pages of regulations "LOL

Old 06-05-2015, 05:21 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Boy Continental won't do that again very soon after a $7500 fine, 10 strikes and your out!

Quote:
Blowouts represent the riskiest failure in the oil business. Yet, despite
these serious injuries and some 115,000 gallons spilled in those first 10
blowouts, the North Dakota Industrial Commission, which regulates the drilling
and production of oil and gas, did not penalize Continental until the 11th.

The commission — the governor, attorney general and agriculture commissioner — imposed a $75,000 penalty. Earlier this year, though, the commission, as it often does, suspended 90 percent of the fine, settling for $7,500 after Continental blamed “an irresponsible supervisor” — just as it had blamed Mr. Rohr and his crew, contract workers, for the blowout that left them
traumatized.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...side.html?_r=0

Old 06-05-2015, 06:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Finally, they make a big deal about the use of large volumes of water which has bugger all to do with contamination.
I'm sure that's issue in many places but not so here in PA. In the eastern part of the state is the Susquehanna river basin. The amount of water they use in one day throughout the whole state will flow past a set point in minutes to seconds depending on what part of the river you are taking your measurement from. It's an inconsequential amount.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Last I saw, 60 minutes and others were showing people's water catching on fire coming out of their kitchen faucet.
Any place with methane in the water has always had methane in the water.

Quote:
And we were told the fracking companies refused to give out the chemicals they were using.
The exact "recipe" may not be available but most if not all of the companies involved with this have voluntarily given up the ingredients of what they are using.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:20 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,188 times
Quote:
My defense is appropriate to your level of actual knowledge which is obviously zero.
I excerpted the EPA study that this thread is based on.

You've barked at people.

Great job!

Old 06-05-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
How can injecting thousands of gallons of toxic chemicals deep underground (especially here out West where almost all drinking water comes from wells) NOT be a threat to drinking water supplies?
Because the injection is taking place thousands of feet below the water table and there is numerous layers of well casing and cement plugging the hole. It's a substantial underground structure.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

I guess anyone that wants to protect our drinking water is a Nazi,...
I guess you can call the driller's Nazi's as it's their best economic interest to protect the ground water even if there was absolutely no regulations or consequences for contaminating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies