Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:12 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,332 times

Advertisements

Singapore.

Typically, most liberals point to Scandanavia as an ideal state. Often times the GOP is criticized for wanting to take the country back to the "dark ages." Rather, a country like Singapore is where the GOP wants to take the country. It's socially conservative and has one of the freest markets in the world. It has no minimum wage and its officially policy is no welfare state, although there is a very basic safety net.

The unemployment rate never got above 4% even during the financial crisis. It's comprised of multiple cultures, ethnic groups, races with English as the official unifying language. It's economically prosperous, has extremely low crime, and drug smuggling carries the death penalty.

Some cons are limited press and speech freedoms, homosexuality is criminalized, and high income inequality.

I'm not saying that I personally agree with their conservative social views, but when people say the GOP wants to take the country back, I think it's more accurate that they want to take the country forward, but in a different way. Singapore is a good example of a social conservative/economically libertarian success story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 10:23 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,656 times
Singapore has four official languages(Malay, English, Mandarin, and Tamil), it's illegal to criticize any religion including Islam(Muslims make up 15% of the population), very liberal abortion laws, and very, very strict gun laws(very hard to get a license to own one and you'll be caned and imprisoned for owning one without one).

Sounds like paradise for your average American conservative.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Singapore also has four official languages, it's illegal to criticize any religion including Islam(Muslims make up 15% of the population). and very, very strict gun laws(very hard to get a license to own one and you'll be caned and imprisoned for owning one without one).

Firearms-Control Legislation and Policy: Singapore | Law Library of Congress
I didn't say it totally represented everything the GOP believed, I was just saying it's a good example of a social conservative/economically libertarian state.

I mean, the Scandinavian countries have tax-funded national churches and a quasi school voucher program and you don't see the left clamoring to get that passed here...

Old 06-11-2015, 10:26 AM

698 posts, read 587,537 times
Saudi Arabia - just replace Islam with Christianity and you have the GOP dream scenario.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
Saudi Arabia - just replace Islam with Christianity and you have the GOP dream scenario.
Nah, I think Singapore is the best representation. Saudi Arabia paradoxically more in line with the left's values since they're always kowtowing to Islam.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:34 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Nah, I think Singapore is the best representation. Saudi Arabia paradoxically more in line with the left's values since they're always kowtowing to Islam.
It's almost pointless to address this, but this is actually the worst comparison anyone could make. The left pampers Islam because it's a minority religion. It's not because Islam is special. It's mainly because the right opposes it. If Saudi Arabia started protecting Christians and Jews, perhaps that would be a valid comparison, but since that's not happening...

And frankly, a Middle Eastern theocracy is more in line with the GOP. Extreme social hierarchy and forced religious teaching. They have God in their schools, that's for sure.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:35 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Singapore.

Typically, most liberals point to Scandanavia as an ideal state. Often times the GOP is criticized for wanting to take the country back to the "dark ages." Rather, a country like Singapore is where the GOP wants to take the country. It's socially conservative and has one of the freest markets in the world. It has no minimum wage and its officially policy is no welfare state, although there is a very basic safety net.

The unemployment rate never got above 4% even during the financial crisis. It's comprised of multiple cultures, ethnic groups, races with English as the official unifying language. It's economically prosperous, has extremely low crime, and drug smuggling carries the death penalty.

Some cons are limited press and speech freedoms, homosexuality is criminalized, and high income inequality.

I'm not saying that I personally agree with their conservative social views, but when people say the GOP wants to take the country back, I think it's more accurate that they want to take the country forward, but in a different way. Singapore is a good example of a social conservative/economically libertarian success story.
Cool. Let's hear one GOPer speaking in favor of a Singapore-style health care system - y'know, universal coverage, mandatory participation, government price control and massive subsidies. Any takers?

Or is it just the "no minimum wage" bit that seems attractive?

Old 06-11-2015, 10:36 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,964 times
Lol...another lib/prog circle jerk. Have fun.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:36 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:

Any
nation kowtowing to any religion is just as bad.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:37 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies