Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 02:35 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
How do we stop making everything be about race? What should we concentrate on, since race seems to be a part whether major or minor in our daily lives?
You stop making everything about race by moving your attention away from it.
Stop watching those types of news stories, stop reading those types of CD threads, stop thinking about it, and just live your life.

Be honest with yourself --- how many "racist" encounters do you actually ever have if you are not trying to stir it up somewhere?

You say "race" is a part of your daily life. Look closer at why that is. Do you have an actual encounter everyday about racial issues? Then No wonder you're fatigued. I'm actually not being sarcastic, I'm sympathetic, but perhaps it should be renamed to racial ATTENTION fatigue .

Old 06-19-2015, 02:42 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
How do we stop making everything be about race? What should we concentrate on, since race seems to be a part whether major or minor in our daily lives?
The truth does not matter, it's what you perceive to be truth. If you perceive everything as racism you'll look for it everywhere. Did you ever read a horoscope? You read the short paragraph and the mind start turning attempting to fit it into their situation.

If the people who you surround yourself with perceives everything as racism, even when you try to pull away from that mindset, they'll drag you right back. Misery loves company.

It never occurred that the very belief that white people are racist is also racism. Maybe it's how you treat whites that comes back at you.

Last edited by petch751; 06-19-2015 at 03:01 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 02:44 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Nonsense. Please read American history books. White America has a legacy of excusing its crimes. Whites have endless commemorations of criminals all over, especially in the South. Denial doesn't change the truth.
I recently found out a major street in my city is named after a white man who was a well known segregationist during Jim Crow. Apparently he assaulted several black people when they tried to enter through the front door of his business and was hailed a hero.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:06 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The truth does not matter, it's what you perceive to be truth. If you perceive everything as racism you'll look for it everywhere. Did you ever read a horoscope? You read the short paragraph and the mind start turning attempting to fit it into their situation.

If the people who you surround yourself with perceives everything as racism, even when you try to pull away from that mindset, they'll drag you right back. Misery loves company.

It never occurred that the very belief that white people are racist is also racism. Maybe it's how you treat whites that comes back at you.

As I said on another thread:

There are 1/3 of a billion people in this country. From every corner of the world and of every stripe. If just 0.01% of interactions between people become nasty, that's... what... 33000 potential youtube videos, special interest racial blog clips or "the evidence of the day of racism in AmeriKKKa."

In today's 24/7 news cycle, cell phone cameras, etc., we are bombarded with those instances caught on film where people are racist or horrible to one another. And any stupid event becomes a narrative... the next twitter hashtag or internet meme... even if intellectually not even remotely appropriate. Confirmation bias and news fatigue.

But, 99.99% of the time, people interact and just exist.

I can go find blogs on basically any topic right now that can confirm an "epidemic" of any stripe of interracial disparity, rape or violence that I wish to advance. And people who buy into it without doing their own independent research are going to give THEMSELVES "racial PTSD!"

Old 06-19-2015, 04:45 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Please tell me how race is a major/minor part of your daily life. I'm seriously curious.
From what I understand, most white folks, being the majority and because of white privilege, have the luxury of "not thinking about race" in their daily lives. This is not true for black people, who are constantly reminded about their status on a daily basis.

I don't want to put words in Heaveno's mouth, but that's the way I understand it from my learning about this subject and somewhat from conversations with black people.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:01 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
From what I understand, most white folks, being the majority and because of white privilege, have the luxury of "not thinking about race" in their daily lives. This is not true for black people, who are constantly reminded about their status on a daily basis.

I don't want to put words in Heaveno's mouth, but that's the way I understand it from my learning about this subject and somewhat from conversations with black people.
Why am I, as a black man, not preoccupied with race daily? Most of the other black people I know: friends, relatives, associates, are not thinking about race in their daily lives. It doesn't even come up in at least 90% of our discussions. And, why would it?

I realize that racism exists, and always will, but there is also an exaggerated race narrative being pushed in this country. I have a big problem with the level of dishonesty here.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Sorry but your skin color isn't special, we are all human... the media likes to keep us divided but deep down we are all the same.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
First - Enough of this "we" stuff, you are an individual, worry about yourself and don't speak for others, for me race is not a part of anything in my daily life, race is nothing special its about as meaningless as hair color.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Why am I, as a black man, not preoccupied with race daily? Most of the other black people I know: friends, relatives, associates, are not thinking about race in their daily lives. It doesn't even come up in at least 90% of our discussions. And, why would it?

I realize that racism exists, and always will, but there is also an exaggerated race narrative being pushed in this country. I have a big problem with the level of dishonesty here.
You can thank those good folks over at CNN/MSNBC/Fox News

Old 06-19-2015, 07:13 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
why is that so, its not like the white dudes are bringing it up, it not our fault they have a chip on their shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies