Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:37 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,900,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
To be fair, this guy was certainly suffering from depression, and probably has Asperger's syndrome(super introvert). The Boston Bombers were only suffering from "I hate American imperialism" disorder.

To be fair, the mental state of the perpetrator is only discussed when they are white. Otherwise the community they are "from"(black, Muslim, etc.) is directly and wholly blamed for the misdeeds of the individual and the community it to blame for not fixing the universal problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 07:47 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,061,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
This guy was no more mentally ill than the Boston Bombers. Why does every white terrorist get a pass with the mental illness excuse?
Boston bombing brothers were white.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:51 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,130,615 times
He's not mentally ill, unless you classify racism as mental illness.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:22 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,222,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
SSRIs ?
I have not come across anything that Roof was prescribed any medications.

Did I miss something?
It wasn't a prescription, but it doesn't look like it was SSRI's. I guess he was actually taking opiates. He was arrested with "Suboxone" earlier in the year, because he was acting very strange, and asking strange questions. But I don't know if he was on any medications when he actually committed the crime. So I was definitely "reaching".

Suboxone: What is the drug linked to Charleston shooting suspect? | fox8.com

Regardless, he said he was going to kill himself(not sure why he didn't go through with it?). So its pretty safe to say that he was horribly depressed. And in all honesty, I actually know pretty much exactly how he feels.

The world we live in makes no sense, and those who talk about the actual problems(IE don't parrot the media narrative), are immediately attacked into silence. It makes you feel increasingly frustrated and almost completely helpless.

And you could actually make the same argument for other terrorists as well. I completely understand why the Boston Bombers did what they did. I completely understand why ISIS did what they did. I completely understand why the 9/11 hijackers did what they did. I completely understand why Timothy McVeigh did what he did.

With that said, we were talking about "mental illness". And not only was Dylann Roof horribly depressed, he seemed to be terribly socially-awkward as well. And from the fact that he claims to be very "introverted", and from his physical appearances. I would say that he has a pretty clear case of Asperger's or some other "autism-spectrum disorder".

The Boston Bombers did not have depression or autism. Timothy McVeigh did not have depression or autism. Osama Bin Laden did not have depression or autism.

My original point was, Dylann Roof was easily avoidable. But I do not believe that "society" will do absolutely anything to address the issues which brought Dylann Roof to do what he did. Because no one actually wants to face the truth.

And for that matter, no one wants to face the reality of ISIS either. And the general rise of anti-Western, fundamentalist Islam, all across the Muslim world.

People want to believe that these people are "crazy" or "delusional" or "evil". When the reality is, they are the logical outcome of our perverse system. Complaining about it will solve absolutely nothing. You have to change the system.

But since the "powers that be" like the system as it is, nothing will change. Or at least, nothing good will come out of it. Instead of looking at the causes and fixing them. The government will "overreact" and try to use "force"(IE a police-state) to clamp down. And will just make the problem worse.

Basically, the Middle-East isn't in chaos because we intervene too little, it is in chaos because we intervene too much. Dylann Roof, and the possibly millions of others similar to him, aren't the product of too little government. They are the product of too much government. But the reaction by the government will be even more government.

They are sowing the seeds of their own destruction. And I could really care less. There is nothing I want more than this entire artificial and destructive system, which makes none of us happy, to come crashing down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
To be fair, the mental state of the perpetrator is only discussed when they are white. Otherwise the community they are "from"(black, Muslim, etc.) is directly and wholly blamed for the misdeeds of the individual and the community it to blame for not fixing the universal problem.
Look, I try to be as consistent as possible(and many people hate me for it). If you want to criticize the media for being biased, I bet I would agree with pretty much everything you have to say. I despise the media with a passion. I hate politics with a passion. It is nothing but lies, distortions, and half-truths. And not one side, both sides, all sides.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 06-22-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,690,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Only liberals are admonished to 'wait until the facts come out', don't you know!
Obama did not wait at all, even after telling us he knew nothing he claimed that the fault was not enough restriction preventing Roof from getting his hands on a gun, that the state legislature and local government could have prevented the murders if they had passed some new law or local ordnance but their politics stood in the way, and that the crime was a reminder of the dark days of our racist past.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:40 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,660,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Obama did not wait at all, even after telling us he knew nothing he claimed that the fault was not enough restriction preventing Roof from getting his hands on a gun, that the state legislature and local government could have prevented the murders if they had passed some new law or local ordnance but their politics stood in the way, and that the crime was a reminder of the dark days of our racist past.
He didn't say he 'knew nothing'. He said 'very little is known at this time'.

And he was right; this event certainly was a reminder of our past. Maybe you are too young to remember, but I'm not. I remember.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:18 AM

35,140 posts, read 17,096,271 times
Quote:
Regardless, he said he was going to kill himself(not sure why he didn't go through with it?). So its pretty safe to say that he was horribly depressed. And in all honesty, I actually know pretty much exactly how he feels.
So when you're depressed you go out and kill people? I highly doubt that.

[quote=Redshadowz;40115924] The world we live in makes no sense, and those who talk about the actual problems(IE don't parrot the media narrative), are immediately attacked into silence. It makes you feel increasingly frustrated and almost completely helpless. And you could actually make the same argument for other terrorists as well. [/qutoe]I'm not sure what you mean by "actual problems" but I'll go through the list below. Engaging in a massacre would solve none of those, however.

Quote:
I completely understand why the Boston Bombers did what they did.
Do tell. If the problem was oppression of Muslims in overseas venues, I don't see how killing spectators or creating horrifying injuries helped those Muslims.

Quote:
I completely understand why ISIS did what they did....And for that matter, no one wants to face the reality of ISIS either. And the general rise of anti-Western, fundamentalist Islam, all across the Muslim world.
Again, do tell how slow beheadings or burnings alive helps anyone or advances any cause. Are you saying we should cave in to the demands of the Muslim world, whatever those are?

Quote:
I completely understand why the 9/11 hijackers did what they did.
I guess creating more misery in Afghanistan or any other Muslim lands selected for retaliation helped a lot. What I see are people who lost husbands, fathers, wives, etc.

Quote:
I completely understand why Timothy McVeigh did what he did.
Why? Again what I see are dead babies at the child care center.

Quote:
With that said, we were talking about "mental illness". And not only was Dylann Roof horribly depressed, he seemed to be terribly socially-awkward as well. And from the fact that he claims to be very "introverted", and from his physical appearances. I would say that he has a pretty clear case of Asperger's or some other "autism-spectrum disorder".
Thomas Jefferson probably had Aspergers. Bill Gates may have Aspergers. So a syndrome characterized by social awkwardness and an interest in abstract topics justifies engaging in a massacre?

Quote:
The Boston Bombers did not have depression or autism. Timothy McVeigh did not have depression or autism. Osama Bin Laden did not have depression or autism.
Quite true, they were fighting a war aimed at helpless people.

Quote:
My original point was, Dylann Roof was easily avoidable. But I do not believe that "society" will do absolutely anything to address the issues which brought Dylann Roof to do what he did. Because no one actually wants to face the truth.
I agree but I think we have very different views of what "fac(ing) the truth" entails. I think it means people, real people, not government, getting more involved in the lives of outcasts, both out of compassion and care, and out of knowing what their demons are likely to drive them to do.

Quote:
People want to believe that these people are "crazy" or "delusional" or "evil". When the reality is, they are the logical outcome of our perverse system. Complaining about it will solve absolutely nothing. You have to change the system.

But since the "powers that be" like the system as it is, nothing will change. Or at least, nothing good will come out of it. Instead of looking at the causes and fixing them. The government will "overreact" and try to use "force"(IE a police-state) to clamp down. And will just make the problem worse.
What "system" do we have to change? Civilization? The Christian/Jewish/Hindu/Buddhist nature of the rest of the world?

Quote:
Basically, the Middle-East isn't in chaos because we intervene too little, it is in chaos because we intervene too much. Dylann Roof, and the possibly millions of others similar to him, aren't the product of too little government. They are the product of too much government. But the reaction by the government will be even more government.
Again, what about the needs of civilization? And yes, that includes oil.

Quote:
They are sowing the seeds of their own destruction. And I could really care less. There is nothing I want more than this entire artificial and destructive system, which makes none of us happy, to come crashing down.
And what kind of dystopia would we have then?

Quote:
Look, I try to be as consistent as possible(and many people hate me for it). If you want to criticize the media for being biased, I bet I would agree with pretty much everything you have to say. I despise the media with a passion. I hate politics with a passion. It is nothing but lies, distortions, and half-truths. And not one side, both sides, all sides.
Frankly, your post makes no sense at all. As far as this conclusion, to quote Winston Churchill, democracy is the worst system of government, except for all the others.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:50 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,222,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Do tell. If the problem was oppression of Muslims in overseas venues, I don't see how killing spectators or creating horrifying injuries helped those Muslims.

Again, do tell how slow beheadings or burnings alive helps anyone or advances any cause. Are you saying we should cave in to the demands of the Muslim world, whatever those are?

I guess creating more misery in Afghanistan or any other Muslim lands selected for retaliation helped a lot. What I see are people who lost husbands, fathers, wives, etc.
Look, I deplore violence with a passion. In no way do I like that people are being hurt or killed. I can't even watch the ISIS videos because they make me physically sick.

But, the realities of this world aren't as simple as they are often presented. The 9/11 hijackers were not evil. Let me repeat, the 9/11 hijackers were not evil. And if you think the 9/11 hijackers were evil, then you are incapable of understanding the complexities of our world. Or at least, you choose to blind yourself to them.

America is not free. And America has never been free. America is a slave-state just like all the rest throughout all of history. You can argue that America is "more free" than some other parts of the world. But America is not free, and is becoming less free every single day.

So then the question becomes, "Why did the 9/11 hijackers attack America?" The truth is, they were doing nothing but retaliating for all the death and destruction that the United States has wrought, all around the world. And Muslims especially hate "globalization", which they associate with "Westernization" or even "Americanization". Of which they associate with immorality, sexual promiscuity, homosexuality, feminism, materialism, atheism, and just general debauchery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle..._globalization

And we push all of these things into their country. By invading their countries, controlling their internal politics only through bribery, coercion, threats, and even brute force. We bomb them nearly every day, killing tens of thousands of civilians and calling it "collateral damage". While actually developing and pushing institutions which create ethnic division and ethnic violence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocolonialism

And the idea that America is intervening in foreign countries because we are so damn nice, is just stupidity. I have no idea why anyone believes it. We are only intervening in foreign countries for our own benefit. We are fighting wars, invading countries, and bombing civilians, to "stabilize world markets". And not because it helps the poor or the middle-class, but because the investments of these international bankers have to be protected.

Now, as I said, I don't like violence. But our government causes violence, death, and destruction all around the world, every single day. Then when someone retaliates against American economic imperialism, they are the evil ones? Look at what is happening in Israel against the Palestinians, its basically a genocide. It is a travesty, a crime against humanity, but nothing will be done. Because the international financiers/bankers run this world.

And how can they be stopped? What can be done? So the 9/11 hijackers tried to destroy the World Trade Center; Which to them represents the "globalization" that they despise? Lets understand, it is functionally at the heart of the entire world financial empire, that sows chaos, death, and destruction all across the world.

You act as if they have some other choice to resist American imperialism. What choice do they really have?

Look, I hate Islam with a fiery passion. I mean, I seriously hate it to the extent that I think it is the most dangerous idea that exists on the face of the Earth. Islam is slavery, and even worse, it seeks to enslave all of humanity under its despotism.

But, I cannot lie, I have very little sympathy for the bankers in the World Trade Center, who behave like complete sociopaths, as they put "profit maximization" ahead of human life and human dignity.

And we don't have a democracy. The vast majority of the people in this country have functionally no say whatsoever in politics. Its why so many people no longer even vote. Nearly 2/3rds of the people didn't even vote in the last election. This country is lost. It cannot be saved. Get it through your head.

Chomsky: The U.S. behaves nothing like a democracy - Salon.com

Old 06-23-2015, 09:13 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,044,919 times
This isn't a race issue or a gun issue. The issue is this lone wolfs mental.stability and own hatred. Were talking now of going after a dumb flag and not the real causes. Always a diversion and race to push an agenda when something happens.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:14 AM

23,586 posts, read 17,266,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
why not wait and see if this racist jerk is mentally ill. not all mass murders and killers are mentally ill.
CNS befuddled by drug use. Legal definitions often have no bearing on popular beliefs.

guilty all the same except under law and politics which slices and dices terminology like the consumate lawyers that Clinton and Obama are.

Liberals live in a zero tolerance world of absolutism and think everyone is their enemy. In doing so they can never arrive at effective solutions. Their only hope is creative imagination required to spin their failures. Many have been sought after by the Disney Imagineers at the end of their political careers.

A racist is anyone who disagrees with Obama according to some legislators and media luminaries. So the anyone who utters a banned word and is not in the club is equated with a hate mongering racist who would do the unimaginable. Not a way to make friends and forward an issue.

Liberal world is a paranoid place with slippery slope logic replacing the view of current problems with theoretical and least probable future outcome to define today's issues. A pandering media helps to keep the fantasy going and breaks all the mirrors in the house and destroys all the news from yesterday. Sen Byrd (D) would be proud and appreciative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies