Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:35 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticket To Paradise View Post
Sorry but you do if you aren't selling "a few" of your own private collection.

Buy the way....I attend 40+ gun shows a year.

How many do you attend?
You could attend 400+ more and still be unaware of facts. The only argument that remains is, whether it is easier to buy guns in the US or in Yemen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 08:42 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
I've been attending gun shows since 1982 and I have never once seen ANYONE sell a minor a firearm. I've also seen plenty refuse a sale due to the buyer being drunk or obviously geeked out on some controlled substance. Also have seen refused sales due to someone who is obviously mentally ill or of unsound mind.

You also know that a convicted felon is breaking the law just being inside a gun show as well, right?

Well they are and I've seen off duty LEOs grab them and take them away after recognizing them.
21 year old is not a minor. Even if we were to assume he got a gun as a minor, clearly, we've the same issue with gun sales as we do alcohol (except that, an adult who helps get minor alcohol/tobacco will be booked).

Old 06-21-2015, 08:44 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It doesn't seem all that hard to me... Guide to Buying a Gun - What You Need to Know

Why should it be hard to exercise a constitutional right? Never mind. You're Canadian and already gave up your rights for "safety"...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/toro...cook-1.3121225

Old 06-21-2015, 08:45 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
By "legitimate" guns shows, exactly what do you mean and in what states?

My experience with gun shows is based upon my time in Florida, a state that only required an instant background check. When the law was established the gun show would set up a couple of licensed dealers to run the gun checks for private dealers and buyers. I found nothing difficult or onerous about the set up.

From my experiences in TX, VA and MD they were highly advertised - not hidden underground - and the state police were present. I bet some officers bought something. The venders at shows are usually guys from guns shops drumming up business and get it as they usually bring a nice assortment. You do the full 5 day wait with all FFLs. Some vendors are there with hardware and ammo only. I remember one guy a few years back who was selling Russian 7.62 AKs for $100 - $135; depending on whether or not you wanted the bayonet, bipod, sling and tool kit. They came with the little mag. Those things went like hotcakes. I wish I nabbed one. He had cans of ammo as well; for cheap.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:52 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
It's 100% legal for a parent or legal guardian to buy a firearm and give it to their children as a gift.

That's hardly the same as Jr. walking in and buying it him or herself.
What's the difference if the parents give a gun to someone that has a history, that is a point of contention in the transfer of firearms and a rather large loophole.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:56 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,195 times
Who are these "gun grabbers" you people keep on about? Has anyone here had their guns grabbed? Anyone?

No?

I haven't. Anyone know anyone whose guns have been grabbed?

Quite the bit of hyperbole there.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:57 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
From my experiences in TX, VA and MD they were highly advertised - not hidden underground - and the state police were present. I bet some officers bought something. The venders at shows are usually guys from guns shops drumming up business and get it as they usually bring a nice assortment. You do the full 5 day wait with all FFLs. Some vendors are there with hardware and ammo only. I remember one guy a few years back who was selling Russian 7.62 AKs for $100 - $135; depending on whether or not you wanted the bayonet, bipod, sling and tool kit. They came with the little mag. Those things went like hotcakes. I wish I nabbed one. He had cans of ammo as well; for cheap.
The question is do they require background checks in the states you mentioned, having police present does not mean they are being diligent unless every forearm leaving has a history.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
It's 100% legal for a parent or legal guardian to buy a firearm and give it to their children as a gift.

That's hardly the same as Jr. walking in and buying it him or herself.
wrong. if the child has a criminal record, or even has felony arrests on their record, the parent or legal guardian CANNOT gift a firearm to the child as it is illegal to do so. federal and state laws do not allow straw purchases of firearms even if it is for a relative that is not allowed to legally buy a firearm. if you do that here in arizona, you can get ten years in prison.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:58 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
Quote:
Sorry but you do if you aren't selling "a few" of your own private collection.
18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(22)(C). doesn't place any limitation on the number of weapons that can be bought or sold by a private dealer, nor does it require you to either conduct background checks or require provisions for the recording of sales or purchases.

Quote:
Buy the way....I attend 40+ gun shows a year.
Attend, and what does that suppose to mean?

How many shows I attend or don't attend is irrelevant, and immaterial. I could post that I attend 41 shows a year, what would that prove. The law is the law and easily presented and verifiable, so let's stick with the facts.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:59 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Why should it be hard to exercise a constitutional right? Never mind. You're Canadian and already gave up your rights for "safety"...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/toro...cook-1.3121225
In Canada guns are generally used for hunting, but they are not that hard to get...Concealed carry is a different story... How to legally buy a gun in Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies