Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:07 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Don't be ridiculous. The flag in that movie is used in its historical context. No one on the left is calling for the movie to go away. That's just the fanatical far right foaming at them mouth to suggest otherwise.
Yes they are actually. Slate magazine is now pushing for no flags at museums either. And you saw what Apple just did. Removing it from games, even though those games are about history. Every time something happens similar to this, you have many who will over reach. Frankly, even stopping selling of the flag is a huge over reach. Especially when you're being a hypocrite when doing so which these retailers are, given the things they will still sell.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:09 AM

28,921 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
The left wing nut jobs just keep going and going. Pretty soon we resemble the former communist Soviet Union.

‘Gone with the Wind’ should go the way of the Confederate flag | New York Post
OMG, you have got to be kidding me??????????

Nut jobs...is correct, I'm so sick of this stuff...these people have very small lives.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:14 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
The leftist lynch mob is in full swing. While removing the confederate flag from this memorial certainly seems reasonable to me in the aftermath of this mass murder by the confederate flag waiving, self proclaimed racist Dylann Roof, the rest of this is completely out of control, and all about leftist overreach and their routine tendency to incite their followers into this sort of lynch mob frenzy.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:16 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Opinion piece. Re-freaking-lax.
Someone doesn't know that, when it was announced that GWTW would be broadcast on TV for the first time in 1976, there were throngs of people and groups putting pressure on the network to can it.

Like long-gone Song of the South, GWTW is anathema to some.

Now, just who are the book-burners?

Old 06-26-2015, 07:17 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
"Birth of a Nation" is a terrible movie.

So what?
Perhaps bigotry and hatred are clouding your appreciation of the film....
I know a few Professors at UofM Film College that would argue otherwise...As well as some others

The Birth of a Nation Movie Review (1915) | Roger Ebert

The Birth of a Nation*(1915) - Rotten Tomatoes

The Birth of a Nation (1915)

American Film Institute

Old 06-26-2015, 07:19 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Someone doesn't know that, when it was announced that GWTW would be broadcast on TV for the first time in 1976, there were throngs of people and groups putting pressure on the network to can it.

Like long-gone Song of the South, GWTW is anathema to some.

Now, just who are the book-burners?
The ones who are always talking about silencing Fox News, banning cartoons of Mohammed and who are striving to ban the Bible in as many locations as possible.

And now of course all the proposed bannings around this issue.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:22 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
As much as I'm all pro north( its just better up here except maybe food wise) and anti racism, maybe we should all start flying the rebel flag just to send a message to the government and the haters to back off and lighten the hell up. Support free speech even if you don't agree with what's being said.
Or maybe somebody can come up with a new flag we can all start waving, a sort of no confidence vote for the country since everybody seems either to hate it way back when, to hate it now or hate where its headed.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
"frankly my dear, i dont give a damn"

LOL.

On GWTW, it is a GREAT book!! I read it as a teen and thought in a southern accent for like 2 weeks lol. The movie is not as good as the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The ones who are always talking about silencing Fox News, banning cartoons of Mohammed and who are striving to ban the Bible in as many locations as possible.
LOL on this too. Nobody is striving to "ban the Bible." You Christian victims of religious persecution in America are so weird to me. Christianity is the dominant religion of the country and the majority of the population are Christians of some sort. Quit thinking that you are being victimized for your beliefs, you are not.

Also GWTW, the Confederate flag, and not even racism have anything to do with Christianity.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:27 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Perhaps bigotry and hatred are clouding your appreciation of the film....
I know a few Professors at UofM Film College that would argue otherwise...As well as some others

The Birth of a Nation Movie Review (1915) | Roger Ebert

The Birth of a Nation*(1915) - Rotten Tomatoes

The Birth of a Nation (1915)

American Film Institute
Have you ever tried watching the thing? Go on, I dare you.

It's historically significant, sure.

It represents a view current at the time, sure.

As a movie, it sucks.

As much as I liked Ebert, and as much as I miss him - I didn't always agree with him. I'm sure he was always fine with that.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:27 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
As much as I'm all pro north( its just better up here except maybe food wise) and anti racism, maybe we should all start flying the rebel flag just to send a message to the government and the haters to back off and lighten the hell up. Support free speech even if you don't agree with what's being said.
Or maybe somebody can come up with a new flag we can all start waving, a sort of no confidence vote for the country since everybody seems either to hate it way back when, to hate it now or hate where its headed.
I am buying a rebel flag as soon as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies