Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,952,817 times

Advertisements

Hillary is not going to make things better if in Office (who needs more pillow talk or a microphone situation again).

She in essence would be saying that as a Dem President would be doing better then a current Dem in office...(I would call that a low blow).

As for me doubt she will be elected...running a YES....winning a NO....NO way a DEM back to back...not in the cards.

Now the GOP is an other matter with all of the hopefuls running...question is who will be the nominee.

Of the top 10 on the GOP list I lean towards Bush, Rubio, Walker, Kasich.......Trump is a business person and so far has not come up with any foreign policies which would be crucial to his winning. He is good with the talk...let the party begin with music and dancing.

I will not be around to see the end results as my time here will end soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 03:09 PM

635 posts, read 786,227 times
Just hope the country is still going. I seriously fear an economic collapse. We need fresh blood via term limits and a President with leadership skills. And who puts the country and all of us over corporations. Hillery sure isn't any of that. She has that old person look on her face.Scary.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:37 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,659,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Wow, what a slanted partisan view on politics.
It's called "history". You could look it all up.

Quote:
Bill Clinton worked with Newt to get things done with the (R) controlled House. Yet you likely only credit Clinton for any economic success.
Gingrich tried to destroy everything that Clinton wanted to do. The cry-baby government shut-downs were over Clinton's refusal to go along with Gingrich's plans for gutting Medicare. Well, that and his having to sit in the back of the plane on the way to and from Yitzhak Rabin's funeral. What a pathetic child. Spoiled brat shut-downs and impeachments are a far, far cry from any notion of "worked with."

Quote:
Reagan worked with Tip to get things done with the (D) controlled House. But obviously you do not give Reagan any credit because he was a (R) president in this century.
Reagan is dead. So is Tip O'Neill. They were in office in the LAST century, not this one. As noted earlier, O'Neill did attempt to work with Reagan, such as by not impeaching him over the wanton criminality of Iran-Contra because it would have been bad for the country so late in a second term. This of course would have stood in stark contrast to the attitudes of Republicans since. In terms of economics meanwhile (the subject of the forum), Reagan was quite the failure, Laffer curves and all. The only sensible thing he did was reverse course on his 1981 tax cuts, and pass those next six years worth of tax increases instead. They weren't really enough, but he did eventually lower marginal rates and did what he was told to do on refinancing Social Security, so I give him full credit for that. He could have (and often did) persist in folly, but on those occasions, he sensibly went pragmatic for a change.

Quote:
Clearly you will only give credit to your team, whether they be in the WH or in Congress.
Dude, I don't have a team. I simply follow what fact and reason tell me. Those are messages you've never received.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:03 AM

30,538 posts, read 19,279,359 times
Quote:
Wow, what a slanted partisan view on politics.

Bill Clinton worked with Newt to get things done with the (R) controlled House. Yet you likely only credit Clinton for any economic success.
Reagan worked with Tip to get things done with the (D) controlled House. But obviously you do not give Reagan any credit because he was a (R) president in this century.

Clearly you will only give credit to your team, whether they be in the WH or in Congress.
You are correct and the person you are talking with analysis goes only as far as Democrats are good, Republicans are bad....adjust the facts to equal that conclusion Any fair analysis of our politics and our economy shows our economy does best with divided government...Reagan with Democrats controlling Congress, Clinton with Newt controlling the economy, even Obama who was the worst President in history until Republicans came in and fixed the mess Harry & Nancy & barack left has resulted in an improved economy.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:40 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,609,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Democrats are good, Republicans are bad.
The only rational conclusion is "Democrats are bad, Republicans are bad."

Old 07-01-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
The only rational conclusion is "Democrats are bad, Republicans are bad."
A lot better than the other one...I'm Libertarian myself and convinced the government is best if it's divided and stalemated into gridlock.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
You are correct and the person you are talking with analysis goes only as far as Democrats are good, Republicans are bad....adjust the facts to equal that conclusion
The facts are that except for a brief period of power-sharing in the Senate, Republicans were in control of everything between 2001 and 2007. The stupid wars, the stupid tax cuts, the disgrace of Katrina, the nonsense of NCLB, the jobless recovery from the first Bush recession, and the colossal failures that plunged us into the Great Bush Recession were all the product of staggering Republican stupidity and ineptitude. There is no escape from the facts. They hang like some half dozen albatrosses around the red necks of the Party of No Sense At All. Embrace the stupidity. Embrace the failure. They are all you have to brag about.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I'm Libertarian myself...
Libertarian? How long have you been a Libertarian? At least 90% of self-proclaimed Libertarians were actually Bush-loving exceptionalist neocons only a little while ago, but are now too ashamed and embarrassed to admit it. You wouldn't have been one of those, would you?

Old 07-01-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Libertarian? How long have you been a Libertarian? At least 90% of self-proclaimed Libertarians were actually Bush-loving exceptionalist neocons only a little while ago, but are now too ashamed and embarrassed to admit it. You wouldn't have been one of those, would you?
I thought Bush did a good job right after we were attacked on 911 but he made a very bad decision to attack Iraq (which of course Hillary and most Democrats supported by the way). he definitely was more of a liberal spender than Bill Clinton (who is an economic conservative) and he handled the economic impact of the 911 attack very well. Where he really screwed up besides attacking Iraq, was not getting us out of there 2 years before the 2008 election to give the next Republican a chance without the albatross of Iraq hanging around his neck. But then he really screwed up when he didn't shut down the government and allowed Nancy and Harry to crash the economy in his last year in office. Overall I would grade Bush about C- and Obama D+...both have been mediocre Presidents.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:33 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,263,411 times
People give the president way to much credit and/or blame for the economy. The President is the commander in chief of the military. He (She) manages the executive branch. The president is the top diplomat, head of state of the country.

The president is NOT the commander in chief of the economy. His only actual power over the economy is the power to appoint the chairman of the federal reserve. Other than that, the president can react to events, mess around with the margins like adjusting enforcement of regulations, and do a few other minor economic actions that don't effect most of us on a day-to-day basis. Cumulative presidential actions or inactions can have long term consequences as we saw in 2008, but no one person is responsible for that. Things like trade agreements - those are cumulative efforts, or do you think the entire economic and diplmatic staff changes every 4-8 years? No, those are career bureaucrats doing what they do their whole career.

People vote for president on the economy, but that's a stupid reason, really. The president is important for war and peace decisions, appointing the fed reserve chairman and therefore indirectly influencing the liquidity of our currency, and appointing supreme court justices. Otherwise the president is a manager that keeps things going like in any company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies