Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:37 PM

674 posts, read 611,866 times

Advertisements

It's entirely about xenophobia and racism. Nothing more.

Yeah, you'll hear people saying that the country is somehow full or that we can't handle having more labor, but you'll rarely find actual evidence of this. You'll rarely find anyone actually being hurt by immigration, illegal or otherwise. Meanwhile, immigration, both legal and illegal, helps millions of people around the world to find a better life in this beautiful country, and it helps our country grow stronger and more cosmopolitan.

Maybe we'll eventually lose the stigma of being the world's largest nation of monolinguals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 01:42 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Me as well. I wish more of the Democratic side felt this way.
They pander to illegals to try and win the massively overrated "Latino vote". Minority votes are the only way Democrats ever stand a chance. They can't alienate their precious illegal aliens!

Old 07-06-2015, 01:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
It's entirely about xenophobia and racism. Nothing more.

Yeah, you'll hear people saying that the country is somehow full or that we can't handle having more labor, but you'll rarely find actual evidence of this. You'll rarely find anyone actually being hurt by immigration, illegal or otherwise. Meanwhile, immigration, both legal and illegal, helps millions of people around the world to find a better life in this beautiful country, and it helps our country grow stronger and more cosmopolitan.

Maybe we'll eventually lose the stigma of being the world's largest nation of monolinguals.
If you look at the levels of workforce participation...it is full. Our economy is "full". There's your evidence.

It is not the responsibility of my elected officials to provide a better life for Mexicans or Polish or Somalis. There are numerous trades that have been severely impacted by illegal immigration.

I'm opposed to an interventionist militaristic foreign policy and believe in conservation and energy independence, and in that way, my country doing as little harm to other people as possible. Beyond that, it is not my countries responsibility to take care of Central America's poor and uneducated.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:44 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,114,183 times
Legal immigration is a net benefit for society, however I would like a moratorium on even legal immigration until our unemployment situation improves.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Citing legal immigration numbers is pointless as long as the number of illegals dwarfs those here legally.

I'm a Democrat and lean left on most issue, but support limitations on all immigration, starting first with illegal immigration. The responsibility of the US Government should be to all US citizens first, not only to business that wants cheap labor, and not only to the Hispanic activists/lobbys that want to increase their own power.

I am Caucasian and have no problem being a minority..what I do have a problem with is excessive numbers of people from Mexico and Central America dominating the immigration numbers. You cannot maintain "diversity" while having most of your immigrants coming from similar (Spanish speaking, central American) cultures.

First, stop illegal immigration.

Watch the employment issue in the US improve dramatically.

Support reforms in Mexico that move them out of the 19th century.

Then, when you find skilled professions that are under-represented, put a set number on people immigrating, equal numbers from all parts of the world. We don't need anymore unskilled labor..there's plenty here already. If you have to pay more for it, tough. At least the money stays in our economy and doesn't go to Mexico.
Thats an oxymoron. You can't vote Democrat and be against illegal immigration when all your candidates are for it and embrace it.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
Thats an oxymoron. You can't vote Democrat and be against illegal immigration when all your candidates are for it and embrace it.
I'm not a one issue voter, and your GOP candidates who have any chance of winning are all going to be passive on immigration as well.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:53 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
Quote:
If you look at the levels of workforce participation...it is full. Our economy is "full". There's your evidence.

It is not the responsibility of my elected officials to provide a better life for Mexicans or Polish or Somalis. There are numerous trades that have been severely impacted by illegal immigration.

I'm opposed to an interventionist militaristic foreign policy and believe in conservation and energy independence, and in that way, my country doing as little harm to other people as possible. Beyond that, it is not my countries responsibility to take care of Central America's poor and uneducated.
The classic "I got mine" view of the world. Specifically, what did you do to be lucky enough to be born into a rich, powerful country in which every opportunity was afforded to you? Oh, and what have you done since then to believe that no one else deserves it? What did you do to earn it all?

Old 07-06-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The classic "I got mine" view of the world. Specifically, what did you do to be lucky enough to be born into a rich, powerful country in which every opportunity was afforded to you? Oh, and what have you done since then to believe that no one else deserves it? What did you do to earn it all?
I can't move to Switzerland or Bermuda, are you going after them for the exclusionary immigration policies that discriminate against everyone else? Show me the forum posts. I'm guessing they don't exist. Why?

Old 07-06-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I'm not a one issue voter, and your GOP candidates who have any chance of winning are all going to be passive on immigration as well.
Its still 16 months from election time. Jeb Bush is the only one who seems to support illegal immigration and Im willing to bet he doesn't win the GOP nomination. Walker, Rubio and Christie are all against illegal immigration. Im expecting Jindal and Cruz's numbers to start coming up as well, no way Trump and Carson stay in the top 5. Both Jindal and Cruz are against illegal immigration as well. So no.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:20 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times
Weren't the parents of Jindal, Cruz (dad) and Rubio all legal immigrants? Yeah, they were. We should've "cracked down" on those horrible people.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies