Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 08:40 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
It doesn't matter what your stance on transgender rights is. There is no way such a young person can have any real idea what gender even means. Nobody who isn't a legal adult should be able to take a sex change.
This, exactly. I grew up in a household where my dad worked most of the time so I grew up with my mom and my older sister. We played dress up, barbies, etc. basically whatever my sister wanted to do until I had more ideas of my own around 6-7 years old, by then we still did what she wanted, but then we'd explore in the woods, play with toy bow & arrows & toy guns, throw a baseball around, etc. I didn't think playing with barbies and dress up was weird when i was 4,5,6,etc. What if I had gone the extra step and told my mom I wanted to be a girl? I would hope she (and any sane parent in that situation) would explain that you can't be a girl, you're a boy. Little kids go through phases, and they say WEIRD stuff. Ever read those "creepiest things kids have said" like they talk to ghosts, see things, etc. What if some of those parents just "believed" their kids, and were just like "oh yea my kid can talk to ghosts, he's a ghost whisperer" kids have vivid imaginations and they run with crazy ideas. Letting your 4 year old son decide he's going to be a girl and treating him as a transgender, will RUIN his life. If he still feels like that in his late teens, then you can address the issue, but at 4 years old, that's just awful parenting.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:41 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
This is not about a child, it's about two dopey parents.
That's true, but those dopey parents are perfectly willing to ruin the life of their child .... beginning at age 3-4. The insanity of the Progressive Leftists.

And what if the child decided he wanted to be a dog? Is there a nice family outing to the local pet store to get a collar & leash, a doggie dish bowl, and a bag of kibble for this little boy? This is the kind of sick cr*p we see ever since the media as well as the lunatic fringe in this country decided that all of the "alternative" lifestyles, gender identifications, blah, blah, blah are hip and cool.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:31 AM

17,427 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
Letting your 4 year old son decide he's going to be a girl and treating him as a transgender, will RUIN his life. If he still feels like that in his late teens, then you can address the issue, but at 4 years old, that's just awful parenting.
There are some kids who just know, from a very early age, that their body doesn't match their mind. It's a real thing. It's a rare thing, but nonetheless, it's very real.

I really would urge anyone who has a knee jerk negative reaction to transgender kids, to watch the Frontline special that I linked above.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
There are some kids who just know, from a very early age, that their body doesn't match their mind. It's a real thing. It's a rare thing, but nonetheless, it's very real.

I really would urge anyone who has a knee jerk negative reaction to transgender kids, to watch the Frontline special that I linked above.

Wanted to say ITA with this but as a parent and as someone who has worked with trans men and women and who has also watched the documentary, I feel that it is not in the best interest of the child to take drastic measures such as hormone replacement as a teenager (which is portrayed in the Frontline episode). But on the 3-4 year old, I really don't see the big deal of letting a kid dress however they want to dress.

I am a female and was a huge tom boy when I was a girl. My mom even let me fake being a boy to go to an "all boys" swimming camp one summer. I have a unisex name and I'm black so she just cornrowed my hair back and put me on some swimming trunks. I was 5 or 6 at the time and was indistinguishable from the other boys. I went with my brother to this camp. We had a great time.

But I think, like as was portrayed by one of the persons in Frontline, that altering the chemistry of the body is not a good thing for any person. I understand greatly the high suicide statistics for trans youth but those mostly have to do with a lack of acceptance. I would let me kid dress like they wanted. I would even let them change their name legally if they wanted (this was denied by one of the parent's in the Frontline episode) as those things are not permanent. Someone can always change their name back. I would even let them block puberty for a time, but I wouldn't let my son take estrogen or my daughter take testoterone and I wouldn't let my daughter have "top surgery" until they were of an age where I felt they could and should decide that for themselves. But I would be loving and supportive. Many trans men and women and boys and girls are just treated VERY poorly and IMO it is unnecessary. Most kids grow out of this sort of thing and the small percent of persons who are transgendered can and should be allowed to transition when they are old enough to fully weigh the consequences of their decisions. It is their life and I would have a lot of struggle internally allowing my child to make permanent, physical, or chemical changes to their body.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:28 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

Just like some kids "know" there's a monster under their bed? Or "know" they're talking to a ghost? or "know" santa claus is real? Get a grip!

Old 07-07-2015, 01:34 PM

17,427 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
Just like some kids "know" there's a monster under their bed? Or "know" they're talking to a ghost? or "know" santa claus is real? Get a grip!
Listen, I can't change your mind.

What I will tell you is that there are lots of highly educated people in the medical community who have studied this for years. And the general consensus is that gender dysphoria is a real condition.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:53 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,329,082 times
Default Transgender 9-Year-Old Adapts to School Life as a Boy

Transgender 9-Year-Old Adapts to School Life as a Boy

Q, of Brooklyn, who was born a girl, recently finished third grade — his first full year of school as a boy. And that, notes the story, meant the world to him. “It feels like, instead of a dead flower, a growing flower,” he explained.

He began questioning his gender at around age 3 or 4, said his parents, and he began making his outward gender transition during second grade — by dressing in boys’ clothes, asking to be identified with the pronoun “he,” and using Q instead of his given name of Qwanaia.

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/tran...389257667.html

Old 07-07-2015, 02:08 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
It would be interesting to follow these people all the way into adulthood... do they stay the same gender or do they switch back... If they did change back, was there peer pressure after the gender change that they stayed that way for a long time? or what other reason did they do their gender change for so long? Was it immaturity? For those who stayed with the gender change into adulthood, do they feel better about the decision? Did they feel discriminated growing up? There are so many questions and it would be interesting to run these studies to know the answer... Alas, all we have are simple news stories rather than a more in-depth study...

Old 07-07-2015, 02:09 PM

80 posts, read 61,625 times
Quote:
Q, of Brooklyn, who was born a girl, recently finished third grade — his first full year of school as a boy. And that, notes the story, meant the world to him. “It feels like, instead of a dead flower, a growing flower,” he explained.

He began questioning his gender at around age 3 or 4, said his parents, and he began making his outward gender transition during second grade — by dressing in boys’ clothes, asking to be identified with the pronoun “he,” and using Q instead of his given name of Qwanaia.
In my humble opinion its called child abuse to allow such thing on a 9 year old.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:19 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,329,082 times
The parents should have just corrected this kid when she was 3 or 4. At that age the kid didn't know any better. I totally blame the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies