Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:05 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,326,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Which I really dont have an issue with other than the fact that whoever is in the White House can now side step the political process to redo the White House, but I really think some of the historical features should be preserved and really up to a Governmental body to determine what should be redone.

I view the White House, very similar to historical designation on properties, and it shouldnt be able to be changed to a politicians whim, regardless of who is in the White House..
The White House and Michelle didn't side-step anything. Major redecorating, when needed, is usually done when the president is in the lame duck position. If you had read the article posted on this thread you'd also know that some historical features like the light fixtures and several paintings were preserved and worked into the new renovations. Also when a new First Family moves to the White House the head house keeper and the curator shows them a catalog of all the historical furniture and art work that is in storage and they can pick what they want to live with. It's not like anything is ever set to the curb and discarded when it isn't in use. You can call it a "politician whim" but you are so far off base you're not even in the District of Columbia. It's their right and privilege to move things in and out of storage and acquire new artwork. Each First Family leaves their mark.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 07-10-2015 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:05 PM

24,026 posts, read 15,129,288 times
I thought there was White House curator. What do they do? Does the National Park service run the White House? What does the chief usher do?

Didn't Hillary get into some brouhaha when she took furniture and household items that were put into the personal quarters by her Arkansas decorators? IIRC she did not know they were gifted to the USA, she thought they were hers.

All FLOTUS pick out china.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:36 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,338,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
She spend $1.98 and pocketed the rest as she thinks she must be paid as a decorator.
It's spent and would you care to share your facts and cite your sources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I disagree. Historically, the White House is the official residence of the President and his/her family. It has always been so and they can do with it whatever they please when they are in office.
They don't need a congressional committee every time they want to paint the kids bedroom or put on a new toilet seat.
In the private quarters where the first family lives I absolutely agree. However in the public parts of the white house I think it should have more restrictions so that it stays historical.

I'd also be willing to bet that while the FLOTUS is credited with the remodel it was much more of a team efforts with White House curators, decorators, historians etc...

Old 07-10-2015, 08:53 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,777,759 times
Too boring! Let's put some color in that white house dining room

Like this:

Old 07-11-2015, 09:17 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,667,565 times
Quote:
Given the above posting, the irony

oh please, the left has been whining non stop about how "tax exemption" meant entities were being subsidized by the taxpayers because they arent paying "taxes on profits", which are non existent.
You aren't making any sense.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:37 AM

1,204 posts, read 874,318 times
Quote:
Which I really dont have an issue with other than the fact that whoever is in the White House can now side step the political process to redo the White House, but I really think some of the historical features should be preserved and really up to a Governmental body to determine what should be redone.

I view the White House, very similar to historical designation on properties, and it shouldnt be able to be changed to a politicians whim, regardless of who is in the White House..

Well since the chairs were designed based on the style of the chairs used in the WH around 1820, that should probably qualify for preserving some of the history.

Also that article mentioned that a preservation committee approved the changes.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:05 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Well since the chairs were designed based on the style of the chairs used in the WH around 1820, that should probably qualify for preserving some of the history.

Also that article mentioned that a preservation committee approved the changes.
Careful! You're going to confuse that poster with FACTS. lol

Old 07-11-2015, 11:29 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,854,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Yet another bill sent to the tax payers for this "modest" change. Would the Obama-bots care to pick up the tab on this one?

Michelle Obama unveils $600k changes to White House State Dining Room | Daily Mail Online
The White House belongs to the people.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:54 AM

943 posts, read 783,702 times
I don't like Michelle Obama's taste at all. She is quite young(and comes from a major city) for a first lady, but her style seems outdated. I guess this became apparent when she wore that weird greenish yellow outfit for the first inauguration. Her designs also seem way to simple. So much so that it is shocking that it cost over $100,000. I also think her designs seem to contemporary. I think white house designs should be modern but should still pay homage to the original colonial design.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:00 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,379,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And yet a private trust has stepped in to do so, and spare the taxpayers the expense.
Humm I guess you didn't realize this Trust Fund has been around for a very long time...so thought I would highlight that misunderstanding~~

White House dining room gets a slight makeover - CBS News
Quote:
The Committee for the Preservation of the White House, an advisory panel tasked with overseeing refurbishments of the executive mansion, offered its stamp of approval to this latest upgrade.

The updated look for the State Dining Room cost $590,000, the Associated Press reports. The sum was paid by the White House Endowment Trust, a private fund ran by the White House Historical Association to maintain the portions of the White House that are open to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies