Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 10:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
As a liberal I find it odd that you are so giddy about him not being able to assert his 2nd amendment right because he smokes weed. Then again I have some liberal tendencies.

As a libertarian I agree. A) It is mine or anyone elses Constitutional right to exercise my 2nd Amendment right, which should not be restricted unless I've committed a crime. Sorry, but smoking or possessing weed does not qualify for me as a crime and... B) Prohibition of cannabis is un-Constitutional in the first place! Can anyone from the Reefer Madness crowd point out in the Constitution the Amendment banning it? Nope. I know... I know.... B-b-b-but making an Amendment to do so like alcohol would be too difficult to go through the proper channels. So the bureaucrats and the corporate cronies that they pandered to simply did an end around the process! How convenient!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 11:08 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
OK. So let's say the feds finally wake up and decide to declassify it as a Schedule I substance (which the classification is bull**** anyway), then what? If going forward they allow me to have alcoholic beverages in my home and be able to own a gun, but I cannot own a gun if I have weed in my home, then that is total hypocrisy!
It is hypocrisy, but that form is a federal form. If pot was no longer classified as an illegal substance federally you would be able to legally answer "no" to the question.

Now if pot was illegal at the state level but legal at the federal level you would still answer "no" as it is a federal form.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:11 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
As a libertarian I agree. A) It is mine or anyone elses Constitutional right to exercise my 2nd Amendment right, which should not be restricted unless I've committed a crime. Sorry, but smoking or possessing weed does not qualify for me as a crime and... B) Prohibition of cannabis is un-Constitutional in the first place! Can anyone from the Reefer Madness crowd point out in the Constitution the Amendment banning it? Nope. I know... I know.... B-b-b-but making an Amendment to do so like alcohol would be too difficult to go through the proper channels. So the bureaucrats and the corporate cronies that they pandered to simply did an end around the process! How convenient!

The issue of whether it's legal isn't important in this discussion. For now it's illegal and it is currently illegal to smoke weed and legally buy a firearm. Liberal thugs have no issue proposing draconian gun laws on society, but are suddenly supporters of the 2nd when it impacts their ability to purchase Evil Guns.

My opinion on drugs, including marijuana, is they aren't victimless or harmless, and like alcohol have a huge net cost to society. That said, as free citizens it should be up to the individual to decide. It would nice if the rest of us didn't have to pay their bills.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:12 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Smoking a little weed disqualifies you from legally buying a gun.

The End.
Seems kind of silly, booze and cigarettes should also disqualify people from legally buying a gun in that case. Though, the more common sense argument would be to legalize weed and treat it the same as you do booze. That would free up our prisons tremendously, and still allow someone to be able to purchase a gun even if they use a recreational substance like booze or marijuana.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
The issue of whether it's legal isn't important in this discussion. For now it's illegal and it is currently illegal to smoke weed and legally buy a firearm. Liberal thugs have no issue proposing draconian gun laws on society, but are suddenly supporters of the 2nd when it impacts their ability to purchase Evil Guns.

My opinion on drugs, including marijuana, is they aren't victimless or harmless, and like alcohol have a huge net cost to society. That said, as free citizens it should be up to the individual to decide. It would nice if the rest of us didn't have to pay their bills.

I agree. My philosophy has always been do what you want, and live your life how you want, so long as you don't cause harm to others in the process, and if you do, then be prepared to deal with the consequences. And furthermore, don't expect me to pay for it. And of course marijuana isn't necessarily harmless. You know that. I know that. Nothing is completely harmless, and too much of anything can be harmful! Even water! I also agree with you on liberals and their proposition of draconian gun laws, but I also find our drug laws to be equally draconian in nature as well as counter productive.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:20 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Free guns, free grass and free ass.

Oh where have you gone sweet America.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Seems kind of silly, booze and cigarettes should also disqualify people from legally buying a gun in that case. Though, the more common sense argument would be to legalize weed and treat it the same as you do booze. That would free up our prisons tremendously, and still allow someone to be able to purchase a gun even if they use a recreational substance like booze or marijuana.

Based on that logic I actually agree with you. As I said, why can I legally own a gun, have a 12 pack in my fridge, and a pack of cigarettes on me, yet I cannot legally own a gun if I have an ounce on me, or smoke the stuff? Hypocrisy! Maybe I'm a rarity, because I firmly support the 2nd Amendment and support ending the prohibition of cannabis. There seems to be the misconception that supporting the 2nd is exclusive to republicans, and legalizing cannabis is exclusive to democrats! Not everything is black and white, or fits in a nice neat little box.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:25 AM

1,136 posts, read 923,894 times
Quote:

So basically you have an area of The law where you agree with people you normally disagree with. Instead of working with these people towards a small but mutually desired goal, you demagogue. This sums up our current political situation quite nicely.

Last edited by keepingquiet; 07-14-2015 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 11:36 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
There are two issues in this that are being conflated.

There is the straight legal, which does not take into the woulda, shoulda, coulda. Yes buying a firearm from an FFL when a consumer of Marijuana is a federal offense regardless of which state you buy it in. Marijuana is a proscribed substance and classified as such under federal law. Answering question 11e negatively if you do regularly consume marijuana is lying on a federal form. It's already established law that possession of firearms with possession of cannabis (or even an MMJ card) can land you 5-10 for a federal gun offense, and has been a topic in the US Senate Senate Measure Seeks To Protect Gun Rights Of Medical Marijuana Patients.

Then there's the "correctness" of the law, which is open to interpretation, personally I come down into the camp that anyone not incarcerated should have the right to possess firearms, if it is not in the interests of public safety for an individual to own a firearm, then it's also not in the interests of public safety to permit them to mingle with the public. A gun is merely a tool, and if you cannot trust a person with a gun, how can you trust them with cars, chainsaws, axes, knives, gasoline, etc. etc. etc.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:38 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Now marijuana smokers are implicitly Liberal. You had a decent idea for a thread until you labeled users Liberal. And there is a huge, critical mass of Republican moderates who are for gun control. You guys continue to troll from the margins, ignoring the largest group of real people in the center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies