Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 06:09 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hmmm... You said you paid zero extra to the U.S. Treasury to meet the poor's needs, and included this; read it all:
You claim private charities don't alleviate poverty, but then specifically state you donate to them but don't send extra money to the U.S. Treasury to meet the poor's needs.
Post my entire response.....

Honestly, how many people actually give more to the treasury? Can you quantify it? Otherwise, you're being dishonest by putting words in my mouth and omiting my entire response and setting up a strawman, which is a logical fallacy.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Honestly, how many people actually give more to the treasury?
The federal government spemds about $800 billion on welfare services and benefits for the poor each year. If you want to help the poor why wouldn't you send more money to the U.S. Treasury to fund those services and benefits instead of donating to charities, especially since you've already stated that private charities don't alleviate poverty?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The federal government spemds about $800 billion on welfare services and benefits for the poor each year. If you want to help the poor why wouldn't you send more money to the U.S. Treasury to fund those services and benefits instead of donating to charities, especially since you've already stated that private charities don't alleviate poverty?
There you go again.... First you reply to my ENTIRE post, don't just pick and choose. If you can't, be an adult and take personal responibility.

I've already answered why I give to charity and it has nothing to do with your strawman and dishonest tactics.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:43 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
If your going to take welfare money you work in a civil job. Clean streets, gardening in the city, assist farmers if your in the country etc.. No free meal ticket period
The unions wouldn't like that. And I don't care personally.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:53 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Post my entire response.....

Honestly, how many people actually give more to the treasury? Can you quantify it? Otherwise, you're being dishonest by putting words in my mouth and omiting my entire response and setting up a strawman, which is a logical fallacy.
LOL. I can

1.03 million last year.

Source:
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/.../gift/gift.htm

But really irrelevant to the argument. The whole "why dont you send a check" Is complete nonsense. Its like these people don't comprehend that they live in a society.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. I can

1.03 million last year.

Source:

But really irrelevant to the argument. The whole "why dont you send a check" Is complete nonsense. Its like these people don't comprehend that they live in a society.
Interesting... So it seems the Treasury gets between 1-2 million extra dollars per year depending on how the economy is doing.

I know the poster in question is just using a strawman and deflecting from the fact I pointed out their article shows the highest Medicaid births on in Red States in general.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
There you go again.... First you reply to my ENTIRE post, don't just pick and choose.
Did you send extra money to the U.S. Treasury? No.

Do you prefer to donate to private charities instead? Yes.

No picking and choosing, there. You stated those positions yourself. They also happen to be the same positions advocated by conservatives/republicans.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. I can

1.03 million last year.

Source:

How is contributing more to society by sending more to the U.S. Treasury to put your money where your mouth is, irrelevant?

Old 07-28-2015, 02:25 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
We're going back to the early to mid 19th century without the agrarian system that allowed people to be self sufficient.
You know, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but no one in any period of time has ever been totally self sufficient. Even the Egyptians traded with other countries to get the supplies that they needed and couldn't grow or make in their own country.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You know, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but no one in any period of time has ever been totally self sufficient. Even the Egyptians traded with other countries to get the supplies that they needed and couldn't grow or make in their own country.
Good point... And notice how they had to trade something of equal value to get what they needed and didn't have? Why can't able-bodied public assistance recipients do the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies