Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 04:45 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
You're not listening, even though everyone is telling you.

Um, yeah, it's good to take our public money and give it to people who are worse off. We do a lot of good around the world, and a lot of it comes from tax money. I'm not apologizing for that. Neither are many of the middle class people who support these policies, because they are able have some sympathy and empathy for those who suffer. (Where are you getting that only the rich receive aid?)

If you're against taxes being used for welfare, you can feel free to have your opinion, but most people disagree. Thus, support for those policies is a perfectly good reason to vote for a Democrat. No one said you had to agree. You can easily just say that you're against everything Democrats stand for, but that doesn't mean middle class people have no reasons to support them.

No one cares that you're against marriage. Most people are not. Marriage is an important part of society, and excluding gay people from the institution harmed them. The fact that you don't want to get married doesn't make it okay to force gay people not to marry.

No one cares that you were denied a job (allegedly because of your race and sex -- you're clearly leaving something out of the story, because flat out denying someone a job over a protected status reason is illegal). The fact that things aren't always 100% in the favor of white males anymore doesn't mean we need to stop the civil rights movement. Seriously. Even if you lost one job, that's peanuts compared to the jobs black people have missed out on historically, and the poverty they continue to suffer under because of how they were treated for hundreds of years puts them at an extreme disadvantage today. If they get a perk here and there to help make up for that, good. Whether you agree with that or not, plenty of middle class people (even middle class white people) can agree and support that view.
so you hate religion, republicans, and white males. gotcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Do you not see how someone would vote for a Democrat who wanted science in the state curriculum instead of religion?

Can you reply without simply repeating, "You hate religion"?
"don't teach their lie, teach their lie!"

gotcha.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:48 PM

659 posts, read 312,821 times
I was drawn into this thread, because for the most part I have long held we are forced to vote for the best option, whether to lean in a left or right direction, but at the same time I have long felt that our vote matters little when the problem of money in our political system is so overwhelmingly dictating. Don't get me started...

Instead I might just introduce what I call my "Cement Theory," that is based on my observation that after we get past our twenties, our political and religious convictions are for the most part set and not to be changed no matter the facts, no matter the logic, no matter the arguments. Of course, there are the rare exceptions to just about all rules, but for the most part my theory holds true under scrutiny (as many have agreed with me over time).

Accordingly, it is interesting the time and effort invested in such debates when the fact of the matter is that no one is likely to change their mind.

Or shall we test my theory again perhaps here?

Anyone have a strong opinion or belief about something important, say for example a typically conservative or liberal opinion about a topic here, and then change their mind as a result of a post that was contrary to their prior opinion or belief?

Anyone?

Old 07-23-2015, 04:48 PM

674 posts, read 611,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
so you hate religion, republicans, and white males. gotcha.
How do you even get that from what I said?

That's just absurd, especially as a reply to a post that didn't mention religion or Republicans.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:49 PM

674 posts, read 611,738 times
Quote:
"don't teach their lie, teach their lie!"

gotcha.

So, uh, do you consider science important, as you said in a previous post, or do you think evolution is a lie?

You can't believe both. Those are contradictory viewpoints.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:50 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,120,263 times
I don't know where you put the "middle class", but Obama and Romney got 61% and 38%, respectively, from voters with income $50K or less (and Obama was just about even with Romney on voters making between $50-100K). So a lot of middle class people felt that Obama and Democrats represented their interests well (or better).

Mick

Old 07-23-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
How do you even get that from what I said?

That's just absurd, especially as a reply to a post that didn't mention religion or Republicans.
I guess I should have been apologizing for being white, and taking my privilege for granted.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
there haven't been middle class tax cuts. there have been middle class tax shifts. the cost of my middle class health insurance has gone up to subsidize the poor. I pay taxes on my cell phone bill to ensure subsidized cell phones for the poor. again, this doesn't help the middle class. it helps the poor. it punishes the middle class.
Actually, when President Obama took office, he did indeed issue a tax cut, it was called the Payroll Tax cut(it has a longer official name).

That tax cut indeed helped you.

Your middle class health care also didnt go up to subsidize the poor, your healthcare when up because your insurance company wanted to maximize profits. Premiums rose at the lowest pace in 15 years this last year. If you were actually subsidizing the poor in the capacity to which you claim, your premiums and overall cost would have been at a record high comparatively and they were not.

As for your cell phone argument, I thought this was about Democrats, the USF. telec0mmunications act, and USAC was passed into law in 1996(A Republican Controlled congress), Introduced by Larry Pressler(R-SD) and passed 91-5(4 of 5 no votes were Democrats) and 414-16(all 16 no votes were Democrats)

Not only did you blame Democrats for something they didnt do and while they were in the minority, you blame them for something 99% of the other party supporting.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
So, uh, do you consider science important, as you said in a previous post, or do you think evolution is a lie?

You can't believe both. Those are contradictory viewpoints.
normal science is fine. theories=religion. dig?

Old 07-23-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Actually, when President Obama took office, he did indeed issue a tax cut, it was called the Payroll Tax cut(it has a longer official name).

That tax cut indeed helped you.

Your middle class health care also didnt go up to subsidize the poor, your healthcare when up because your insurance company wanted to maximize profits. Premiums rose at the lowest pace in 15 years this last year. If you were actually subsidizing the poor in the capacity to which you claim, your premiums and overall cost would have been at a record high comparatively and they were not.

As for your cell phone argument, I thought this was about Democrats, the USF. telec0mmunications act, and USAC was passed into law in 1996(A Republican Controlled congress), Introduced by Larry Pressler(R-SD) and passed 91-5(4 of 5 no votes were Democrats) and 414-16(all 16 no votes were Democrats)

Not only did you blame Democrats for something they didnt do and while they were in the minority, you blame them for something 99% of the other party supporting.
this was about how democrats help the middle class. you can clearly read, but perhaps you should stop reading too into what I am saying. both parties HATE the middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies