Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 AM

519 posts, read 777,992 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't mind at all if 'Murica were more like Europe. Europe is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 11:03 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,799,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
Already is.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:09 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,688,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
Hmm. Tell this to the people of Greece.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:14 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,443,858 times
Yes, yes they do and in particular Northern Europe. My ancesterial homelands Norway and Sweden usually top the lists for all things great "over there" compared to how horrible it is "over here".

The main problem, however, is that there are lots and lots of people "over there" who look like me and my wife and kids. Some might call it a "majority".

Old 07-28-2015, 11:22 AM

800 posts, read 782,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you willing to pay the taxes required for that? Lower- and middle-income earners bear the highest tax burdens in those countries.

I've posted links to European countries' tax info in these two posts:

And...

I'm more than willing to pay the taxes...but your assertion is dubious at best and is derived from a Northwestern study that is very narrow in its approach, has been called misleading by other academics, and furthermore contradicts your assertion when it takes a large scale perspective. It also concerns income tax and does not include items like the wealth tax popular in Scandinavian countries.

Furthermore, whether or not wikipedia is a good source can be debated, but the wikipedia source you just used showed all six countries listed having progressive rates. Rates increased as income increased.

The reason why Scandinavian countries appear to be regressive in the study is the authors look at simply the national and municipal taxes.

In Norway, for example, the rate is a flat 28% for all incomes. Flat taxes are effectually regressive, particularly when you consider sales tax burden.

The study, however, did not take into account taxes such as Norway's surtax. While all incomes are taxed at a base 28%, depending on your income you will have to pay up to an additional 12%. Then up to 7.8% for social security. Then there is a wealth tax for collective assets over roughly $166,000 of 1%. Then there are myriad other taxes.

https://www.skatteetaten.no/no/taxnorway/

Income taxes abroad - Norway

Trust me the wealthy in Norway are paying much higher than they are in the US, where those living on capital gains get taxed lightly in comparison.

Take this article in Inc. for comparison http://www.inc.com/magazine/20110201...nd-norway.html

A Norwegian making $537k will pay about 12% more in taxes than in Massachusetts where the tax burden is the highest.

I'd suggest reading the entirety of the studies you quote rather than just Washington Post editorials that cherry pick portions of extensive studies that *seem* to corroborate their own personal opinions. Furthermore, I'd suggest reading the tax codes of the countries you are discussing. All of them have websites.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:33 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,771,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Serious question: Would you be ok with adopting an apprenticeship system (like in the nations you've mentioned) in the US where they separate students who can do academics from those who can't?
No answers to this?

Old 07-28-2015, 11:34 AM

47,000 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Another example of Leftists destroying Europe.

Freedom of Speech is only for the far-left.
So - Somali journalist has an unpopular broadcast aired over the State Radio? Seems pretty free to me.

Radical elements threaten her - that happens in the US, too.
She's contradicted by other journalists - that happens in the US, too. Good thing, too.

Freedom of Speech is between the citizens and the government, and here, the government didn't just abstain from interfering, it actually provided her a taxpayer-funded platform for her broadcast.

If the Swedish government had censored her or kept her from speaking, you'd have a free speech case. But the exact opposite happened.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 AM

30,487 posts, read 19,246,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You do not sound like you follow world politics at all. Which West European country does not have freedom of speech in their constitution?
Germany doesn't allow 'hate speech,' insults, gossip, membership in banned political parties, insulting of faiths, and a host of other 'illegal speech.' I know most of the political correctness Nazi bullies in the US wish we had these to stop free speech here except they would want an exception to allow insulting Christians and Christianity. Germany is a great example to follow killing 60 million in WWII and shooting my Father several times at Omaha Beach and nearly starving him to death in prison camp.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,978,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you willing to pay the taxes required for that? Lower- and middle-income earners bear the highest tax burdens in those countries.

I've posted links to European countries' tax info in these two posts:

And...
Hi, InformedConsent.

It is important to keep in mind that many European countries have a less lopsided distribution of income, so there is more wealth in the middle. In America, it makes more sense to introduce a Wall Street speculation tax which is long overdue after the crash they were responsible for, and ask the richest to pay a little more, at least the same rate as everyone else, by lifting the cap on income subject to payroll tax for example. European countries dont have such a cap. This has broad support among Americans, according to polls. Slashing wasteful and massively bloated military spending and getting tough on corporations that hide their wealth and dont pay taxes must stop.

America is the wealthiest nation on earth, and is together with countries at the very top like Switzerland and Norway. America is in fact wealthier than Denmark. And if you look at countries like Switzerland and Norway, which are at the income level of America, their tax rates for the middle class is substantially lower than in the example you made about Denmark, but they still have excellent social services, education system and a social safety net. No one goes bankrupt when getting cancer in Switzerland, every worker get paid time off to say goodbye to a dying parent and the elderly and the blind and disabled have a better safety net.

Finally, I think most Americans can accept paying a little more in taxes once they see that the funds are invested in America for the people, not wasted on a bloated military, corporate welfare, big pharma handouts, bailouts, endless wars or a corrupt prison industrial complex that feeds off of misery. Here is a lady who I think says it quite well and articulate how I feel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZUrZ9k8HMc

Old 07-28-2015, 11:37 AM

47,000 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Germany doesn't allow 'hate speech,' insults, gossip, membership in banned political parties, insulting of faiths, and a host of other 'illegal speech.'
"gossip"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies