Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 03:35 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Good luck with that. People who carry, don't go for a weapon over insults. We j dersgand what being an adjlt means. I've had that happen, some cretin always seems to want trouble, no matter where you go. Go ahead, I sjlt me, insult my lady's honor, in all manner of foul, verbal ways. You won't get a reaction, but us walking away. Touch her, and you might get something, however. That's just a friendly warning.
I have been in this situation before and I could not walk away. I was in a small fender bender and the occupants of the other car were taking their time finding the insurance card all the while insulting me, my wife, my car, the Japanese (the maker of my car) and dozens of groups that weren't even present. My wife was in tears within the first minute and had to go sit in the car. My only replies were "yes sir", "no sir" and "exchanging insurance information is the law. Do you want me to call the police?"

When they drove off and I got back into my car, my wife asked why I didn't say anything to them. I explained in detail how if I had escalated the conflict into something physical then I would be at fault. Therefore I swallowed my pride and took the verbal abuse. I don't carry to protect myself and my family from verbal abuse, I protect them from physical abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 03:46 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
....Realistically the anti-gun crowd can't win because although 3D printers that print metal are way too expensive for the average person now, they likely will be affordable in 30 years and any creep will be able to print a gun. It's very disturbing how bad people really do win in the world.
$90 and a drill press will get you the starting point of an AR-15. Here's the how to video. For $130, you can start an AR-10 variant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U32cxlDF5Eg

Want to build a pistol receiver? You don't even need a drill press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FNSU_BVMmA

If you aren't familiar with the 80% receivers, they are not guns since they require a minimum amount of work be completed before becoming functional. That means you can order them and they are sent directly to your house. I saw a few at the gun show yesterday and I could have paid cash for them without giving the seller my ID or even telling them my name.

While the 3D printing is easier for some, almost anyone with working pair of thumbs can complete these steps.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:19 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so anyone carrying a firearm openly near you is a suspected bad guy, even though they are not doing anything wrong? i dont mind if you "safety perimeter" switch gets turned on, its a normal response. the "anger switch" on the other hand is disturbing however. when someone is quick to anger, that in itself causes problems. perhaps you need anger management counseling.
I am another one that goes into "potential threat" mode, with anyone carrying a weapon near me, or I am within range of the weapon. Includes hunters. No one you don't know, with a gun, can be taken for granted. If I am armed, and anyone carrying any type of gun, points it in my direction intentionally, they stand a pretty good chance of being shot. and it includes hunters.

These people that want to make a statement, and open carry assault rifles on the street, for no purpose other than to harass Law Enforcement, need to remember that not everyone knows or cares why they are armed on the street. To me, and average citizen, it tells me you have a mental deficiency to start with, and I am going to watch you like a Hawk watches a rat, because you are a valid potential threat to life.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:31 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
The anti-gun crowd will never win because the NRA bought and paid for well over the number of politicians they need to keep gun laws lax and enough idiot Tea Partiers out there have a sociopathic indifference to seeing people massacred. Plus Congressional districts are skewed to give conservative white gun nuts far more representation than they would warrant by population. Realistically the anti-gun crowd can't win because although 3D printers that print metal are way too expensive for the average person now, they likely will be affordable in 30 years and any creep will be able to print a gun. It's very disturbing how bad people really do win in the world.
There where programs for building gun parts with a non metal 3D printer, including a receiver for a AR15. The Department of Defense pulled them off the guys web site, where they where there for free downloads. I got there before they pulled the site, and downloaded them. Also programs for printing single shot pistols, out of plastic. 3D Printers are already printing out gun parts.

Also, there is a thriving Black Market in Guns, that has been there for years. If you have the money, you can buy any type of gun you want to buy.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I am another one that goes into "potential threat" mode, with anyone carrying a weapon near me, or I am within range of the weapon. Includes hunters. No one you don't know, with a gun, can be taken for granted. If I am armed, and anyone carrying any type of gun, points it in my direction intentionally, they stand a pretty good chance of being shot. and it includes hunters.

These people that want to make a statement, and open carry assault rifles on the street, for no purpose other than to harass Law Enforcement, need to remember that not everyone knows or cares why they are armed on the street. To me, and average citizen, it tells me you have a mental deficiency to start with, and I am going to watch you like a Hawk watches a rat, because you are a valid potential threat to life.
like i said i have no problem if people go into potential threat mode, its normal to do that. in fact even i go into that mode when i see someone carrying openly. and they stay on my radar until such time as they either proven themselves to be non threatening, or they leave my threat zone perimeter.

what i was objecting to is the guy that goes into anger mode as well, and that turns off a lot of common sense switches and can get people into trouble as a result. so yes, go on high alert, and pay attention to the things going on around you(you should be doing that anyway, even if there is no weapon indicated), just dont escalate the situation unless you absolutely have to.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:28 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Next up on the anti gun groups radar is the super deadly, mass killing gun that just cannot be trusted in civilian hands. This weapon of war is so scary the Brady campaign has deemed it public enemy number one. It is more deadly than the evil "assault weapon", more deadly than the extra dangerious "sniper rifle" and even more deadly than barrel shrouds (the thing that goes up, according to McCarthy). To protect the children anti gun groups now want to ban the gun emoji from the iPhone.

New Yorkers Against Gun Violence kicked off their “Disarm the iPhone” drive this week with a website, video and press release targeting the popular mobile devices. The group cautions that the emoji, one of hundreds on the product that come preloaded from the factory, reflects the ready access to guns in the country.

“We realized that many Americans unknowingly carry a gun with them every day. The one that was given to them without a background check: the gun emoji,” reads an open letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook.
Gun control advocates launch campaign to drop gun emoji from iPhones (VIDEO)
Their move is a genius one ( if you subscribe to their ideology ) and you had absolutely better take them very seriously if you care about your gun rights.
Taken out of context, trying to "disarm the iPhone" by removing the gun emoji seems pedantic, juvenile, and ultimately meaningless, and those pushing the initiative are probably happy that you are seemingly oblivious to their slight-of-hand trickery.

When seen in it's true context, which is that of a larger, broader, CULTURE war, their move is very strategic and very effective.

They aren't trying to just change gun laws, they're trying to change how people think about guns, much in the same way the anti-tobacco advocates of the 70's on up demonized, vilified, and stigmatized tobacco, and dehumanized anyone who dared to continue to use it.

Their next move will be to ban guns in the form of toys. That's already started actually. New laws have been proposed regulating the color toy guns are allowed to be. Believe it or not, they actualy had a "toy-gun buyback" in Cleveland after the shooting of Tamir Rice. Then they'll start campaigns to strong-arm production companies to ban the portrayal of firearms in any context from movies targeted at a certain age group. Poor little Bambi might even get the axe, much in the same way our beloved Popeye The Sailor Man is getting a makeover ( sans his famous corn cob tobacco pipe ) ... Not even Santa Clause is safe from the brainwashing scheme,as even he has been scrubbed of his smoking habit in a new, revisionist version of "twas the Night Before Christmas " The movies that do portray firearms will have to run a message at the end making clear that "no one received any payment, entered in to any agreement, or received any compensation for the portrayal of a firearm in this motion picture", the same way movies that feature smoking characters do now.

After that, they'll go after youth programs that have firearms training in them. Then they'll try and ban guns from being specifically marketed to a youth demographic. You can say goodbye to the "My-First-Rifle Cricket model" They'll ban certain colors from being used on real guns.

I could go on and on, but the fact is, we've seen all this play out before with the anti-tobacco movement, and with great success. It's social and behavioral engineering at it's finest. Brainwashing on a grand scale. Their move to ban the "gun emoji" is merely a cog in a much larger machine, and dismissing it out of hand would be a huge mistake on the part of the Second Amendment advocate.

No need to take my word for it though, here it is straight from the horses mouth....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYyqBxD-3xw

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 08-04-2015 at 12:43 AM..

Old 08-04-2015, 12:02 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I have been in this situation before and I could not walk away. I was in a small fender bender and the occupants of the other car were taking their time finding the insurance card all the while insulting me, my wife, my car, the Japanese (the maker of my car) and dozens of groups that weren't even present. My wife was in tears within the first minute and had to go sit in the car. My only replies were "yes sir", "no sir" and "exchanging insurance information is the law. Do you want me to call the police?"

When they drove off and I got back into my car, my wife asked why I didn't say anything to them. I explained in detail how if I had escalated the conflict into something physical then I would be at fault. Therefore I swallowed my pride and took the verbal abuse. I don't carry to protect myself and my family from verbal abuse, I protect them from physical abuse.
Exactly. A d if you are carrying , CCW, the law requires letting verbal attacks roll off. I've had to do so, myself. My lady , totally, understands that. I've got a good one, in her. She knows I would die before I let anyone hurt her, physically, and that's what counts. I carry LTL options , as well as a firearm. An insistant prodder, who decides to get handsy, can be backed off without going to my firearm. Quality, OC spray is pretty persuasive. I often use a walking cane, as well, which can be a "now..behave yourself" tool, of note, should proper manners need reinforcing.

I will not draw or show my gun, in any way, as a warning. If I go to my gun, things are bad, and its life or death. That takes more than some mouthy blowhard. But, such situations are, extremely, stressful.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:30 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
There where programs for building gun parts with a non metal 3D printer, including a receiver for a AR15. The Department of Defense pulled them off the guys web site, where they where there for free downloads. I got there before they pulled the site, and downloaded them. Also programs for printing single shot pistols, out of plastic. 3D Printers are already printing out gun parts.

Also, there is a thriving Black Market in Guns, that has been there for years. If you have the money, you can buy any type of gun you want to buy.
That's disturbing that you want to print out single shot pistols and probably not something you should admit on a public forum but I have read about those things and that they generally work. I'm also well aware of the black market, especially on the dark net where people go years without being traced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
$90 and a drill press will get you the starting point of an AR-15. Here's the how to video. For $130, you can start an AR-10 variant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U32cxlDF5Eg

Want to build a pistol receiver? You don't even need a drill press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FNSU_BVMmA

If you aren't familiar with the 80% receivers, they are not guns since they require a minimum amount of work be completed before becoming functional. That means you can order them and they are sent directly to your house. I saw a few at the gun show yesterday and I could have paid cash for them without giving the seller my ID or even telling them my name.

While the 3D printing is easier for some, almost anyone with working pair of thumbs can complete these steps.
I really don't think most people intending to kill someone are going to bother with that when for about the same price or a little more, you can get a black market dark web gun delivered to your house in a nice little package.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:23 AM

143 posts, read 96,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I think every household should have a grenade launcher! There should be no rulz! Assault weapons for every child that can hold them! Ammo cartridges in every box of breakfast cereal! Every man, woman and child should be fully holstered at all times! Nuclear weapons? Yes!!!!! Second Amendment!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's a prime example of why the thread title is spot on.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:05 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Let the gun people carry their little "security blanket" around. It doesn't make any difference how I interact with them. A couple of times I mouthed off to guys carrying their guns openly in the Phoenix area. Neither time did they do anything. Next time I'll have to insult their wife or something, see if I can get one of them to fight like a man.

Yeah that's real f***n' smart! Start trouble with a stranger to try and provoke them into a fight! And furthermore, define fighting like a man? The street isn't a boxing ring where there are rules. You fight to win! Be careful what you wish for. And based on what you're telling me, I'd worry about someone like you more than some dude open carrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies