Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:02 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times

Advertisements

Misplaced priorities. Americans seem more upset over the killing of a lion, than they are over the horrors of Planned Parenthood, and the killing of an innocent woman in San Francisco by an illegal alien, or the gunning down of five unarmed American servicemen by a Muslim terrorist in Chattanooga.

And where does our President stand on all this?
"As for Barack Obama, we already know he has no problem with late-term abortion, or for that matter, leaving aborted “mistakes” that were born alive to die an excruciating death. Moreover, after her murder, the president did all he could to avoid the subject of Kate Steinle’s death. And then, while the soldiers killed in a U.S. terrorist attack were being laid to rest, Obama was busy sermonizing Kenya on gay rights."
Articles: Kate Steinle and the untimely passing of Cecil the Lion

Something is seriously wrong in America.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:09 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Oh God. For the 98th time, you cannot legally perform a late term abortion. Roe v. Wade provides Constitutional protection only up to 24 weeks gestation (and some unenlightened states try to limit to 20 weeks). Third trimester abortions are not legal anywhere.

Where President stand on the issue is not relevant, because it is a Constitutional right. There is absolutely nothing he can do. Nothing. You know, kinda like how his viewpoints apparently doesn't matter on the 2nd Amendment issue.

Mick

Old 08-03-2015, 07:57 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Oh God. For the 98th time, you cannot legally perform a late term abortion. Roe v. Wade provides Constitutional protection only up to 24 weeks gestation (and some unenlightened states try to limit to 20 weeks). Third trimester abortions are not legal anywhere.

Where President stand on the issue is not relevant, because it is a Constitutional right. There is absolutely nothing he can do. Nothing. You know, kinda like how his viewpoints apparently doesn't matter on the 2nd Amendment issue.

Mick
This thread isn't just about Planned Parenthood, Mick, Or didn't you read the title and the linked article? However, to your comment, this is just for you, Mick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=s3_htUXNa7o

Old 08-03-2015, 08:21 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,098,442 times
Do you know why people are talking about Cecil over these other issues?

It's because it's easier to talk about.

Even a hunter who is ok with trophy hunting can grasp the fact that Cecil was specifically off limits as he was part of a research project. We can all agree, killing that lion was unlawful and wrong. The debate becomes more complicated, but even plenty of hunters don't support just trophy hunting. I'd argue most people are against trophy hunting. It's probably not in their top 10 things they care about, but it there in their bank of opinions. I'm in the boat that killing a living thing just because you're selfish and think everything that exists is meant to be an accessory to YOUR life is wrong. And it's made even more wrong since that lion wasn't even yours to kill. Many follow that basic logic, and the solution is simple: You can't kill things without a good reason. This allows hunting for food and population control (and self defense, it you live in a place where bears have a vendetta), both of which can be elements of hunting for sport, to be perfectly legal, but killing an animals just to hang it on the wall that does not need population control can still be rationally viewed as wrong. There's some wiggle room on what population control means. I'm aware of the argument for hunting animals like lions and how the reserves they're on are able to watch over the lions and make money by allowing minimal hunting. But all in all, the solution to this discussion is extremely straightforward.

None of the other controversies are even remotely that simple. Which is exactly why people don't want to talk about them.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:24 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
I hate that the lion was killed, and don't agree with it at all, but a lion's life is nowhere near as valuable as human life, born or unborn. I totally agree the priorities are completely misplaced and society is way out of focus.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:32 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I hate that the lion was killed, and don't agree with it at all, but a lion's life is nowhere near as valuable as human life, born or unborn. I totally agree the priorities are completely misplaced and society is way out of focus.
But it sure is a convenient distraction. With all the horrors coming out about how PP treats human lives and we're more concerned with some a-hole dentist killing a lion.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:34 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
I agree with OP.

For years that establishment looked at the issue of immigration largely through ideological, rose-colored glasses, and gave minimal attention to many of the numerous holes in the state and federal immigration net that September 11, Kate steinle tragedy, chattanooga revealed. (According to the INS, three of the 19 hijackers were here illegally on expired visas, and two were able to obtain valid visas despite being on U.S. intelligence agency watch lists.)

The immigration system in this country was indeed chaotic. The journalistic establishment also bears some responsibility for being overly pc.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:33 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Misplaced priorities. Americans seem more upset over the killing of a lion, than they are over the horrors of Planned Parenthood, and the killing of an innocent woman in San Francisco by an illegal alien, or the gunning down of five unarmed American servicemen by a Muslim terrorist in Chattanooga.

And where does our President stand on all this?
"As for Barack Obama, we already know he has no problem with late-term abortion, or for that matter, leaving aborted “mistakes” that were born alive to die an excruciating death. Moreover, after her murder, the president did all he could to avoid the subject of Kate Steinle’s death. And then, while the soldiers killed in a U.S. terrorist attack were being laid to rest, Obama was busy sermonizing Kenya on gay rights."
Articles: Kate Steinle and the untimely passing of Cecil the Lion

Something is seriously wrong in America.
You forgot the national outrage over under inflated footballs.

Talk about priorities.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:38 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Maybe because Cecil the lion was probably nicer then most human beings. Shrug. Me? Turn the guy over to zimbabwe for breaking their laws. End of problem.
PP nonsense? Just nonsense. Argue for moving the abortion limit from 24 weeks to 20 weeks, and I can see that. the rest is just nonsense. Its the Republicans hoping that they can make abortion a wedge issue. I dont think it will work as well as they hope.

The other killings? More people will die in traffic accidents today. all of them are horrible for the people involved. None of them are important to me. Some may deserve some action to prevent them, but it should be rational action, not emotion laden knee jerk reactions.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:41 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
A zillion threads on this website alone about the topics the OP listed and yet he claims Cecil has gotten more attention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies