Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:22 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
You are not aware that Barack Obama is pro-fracking?

Situation Normal, All Fracked Up: Obama Embraces Fracking | ThinkProgress
I am for fracking in red states. The South can frack away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 09:25 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I am for fracking in red states. The South can frack away.
I'm not for it. Why is California for it?

http://www.citizensforethics.org/pag...stry-is-active

Old 08-02-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not for it.
I am for ending the EPA in the red states too. I would never want the GOP to get their hands on Seattle and Puget Sound. They'd probably kill the whales before the sun set.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:38 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
They are going after everything except pollution.

Consider all of the actual environmental destruction it cares not a whit about: the amplified ultra-low-frequency car audio, the fart cans, HID lamps, city light pollution, GMO infections across farm boundaries, sodium fluoride in tap, pharmaceuticals in sewage....

Do you honestly believe the EPA polices those things? If so, how are they to go about doing so?

Where do emergency vehicle sirens fit in? Fireworks displays? Lawn mowers? How about the sound you endure while a dentist drills your teeth? The early morning alarm clock?

What really stumps me is HID lamps and light pollution. Really?

Old 08-02-2015, 09:41 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Where do emergency vehicle sirens fit in?
To that I'll add heavy machinery back-up alarms. And car alarms, and horns.

Quote:
Do you honestly believe the EPA polices those things?
It doesn't have a legislative mandate to police what it's trying to do now.

Elsewhere, there is a destructive amount of noise, chemical, light pollution that it cares nothing about. In urban settings it effects a significant toll on health, productivity, and quality of life.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
In other words, as soon as the EPA wasn't thrilled with things like fracking, they made an enemy of the GOP. The GOP wants the EPA to just say yes to any scheme they come up with, with a nod and a wink. Because they don't, the EPA has been a GOP target. By all means, let's get rid of the EPA as long as the country knows it was the GOP that did it. When people start seeing the result, the GOP will be 100% responsible. Of course, the damage will be done and maybe some casualties, but we can end the EPA argument and what it's really about. The GOP has been against the environment for a long time. It wasn't always this way but the GOP wasn't always this way either.

You are William Shatner on an airplane on The Twilight Zone, right? The GOP is the creature attempting to peel back the engine cowl in your scenario.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
To that I'll add heavy machinery back-up alarms. And car alarms.

It doesn't have a legislative mandate to police what it's trying to do now.

Elsewhere, there is a destructive amount of noise, chemical, light pollution that it cares nothing about.

How are noise and light pollution a threat to humanity or the earth and why should they seriously even look into them?

Please cite some serious sources about the topic.

How about barking dogs and the garbage truck rolling down the street at 6 am?

Audible airplanes 5-7 miles overhead?

The ice cream man blaring music while cruising around the neighborhood?

How about your neighbors car doors closing at 2 am?

The rock band in a concert hall 20 miles from your house?

How about the brightness of the sun/moon or the sound of the wind?

I can go on and on with preposterous stuff none has jurisdiction over.

Do you think a totalitarian regime can bring all of this and more to a stop?

Old 08-02-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
You are William Shatner on an airplane on The Twilight Zone, right? The GOP is the creature attempting to peel back the engine cowl in your scenario.
That was John Lithgow. And yes. Pro-environment Republican is practically an oxymoron. The GOP came out against the environment long ago and they own it now.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Can you give some examples to support your statement in bold above?
Here is a few examples of the stupidity of the EPA.

Estimates on the new mercury standards that closed many older coal plants suggest deposition rates here in the US will drop 1 to 10 percent and result in the average IQ increasing 2/1000 of one point. That's becsue it's global issue, US coal plants account for about 1 percent of the global pool. It will have nearly no affect here or globally.

In Texas they were allowing refiners to use flexible measures to meet pollution standards. For example if you were producing 10 pounds of pollution from two processes for total of 20 pounds and needed to reduce it by 10 pounds you could eliminate 10 pounds from one process. This is much more economical and the end result is the same. The EPA stopped this practice.

New efficiency standards dictate that hot water heaters over 50 gallons be heated by heat pumps as that is the only thing that could possibly meet the efficiency required. This does not take the whole process into account. They rob heat from the home, while this would be desirable in warmer climate in colder climate it will cost you more money and energy to run them during cold weather when you are heating the house.

This is just a small sampling. Should we get into clothes washers that will not allow for really hot water to be used? Refrigerators that have issues with defrosting? Dishwashers that don't clean dishes? Nozzles on gas containers that cause a lot of spilled gas? Expensive ethanol in my gas tank that is destroying small engines and older cars?

Old 08-02-2015, 10:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
I truly am amazed the the GOP is against the EPA.
We're against the overreach and nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies