Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 12:47 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What happens when you run into the white dude that was born in South Africa?
Would it be silly to call him African American?
Yes. He should be called South African-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 12:49 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
"African American" to me bespeaks a certain smarminess and kowtowing to political correctness, and I don't like to use the term. I prefer the term 'black' which was what most of those in the civil rights movement settled upon back in the day. I remember seeing graffiti extolling "black power" in 60's-70's Chicago. I never saw any exhortations of "African American power." That was something that probably came from sources like NPR.

But ultimately I hold to the Michael Medved rule. Medved's rule is that people should be called by whatever name that they choose for themselves.
That's because according to the laws of political correctness, any term used long enough eventually becomes derogatory and will have to be replaced.

"Negro" used to be the acceptable, politically correct term. Ever heard of the UNCF ? "Colored" was also considered politically correct. Know what the NAACP stands for?

With time, African-American will probably have to be replaced with some other term so that the sensitive minded don't have a heart attack.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:39 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well most are. I am.

Nope.
I would like to see some proof that most AA's are descendents of slaves. It seems most blacks are all put out because they are slave descendents, but I would like to know how many really are.

You say Rachel is not black.. I agree, but the black community defended her when she was exposed as being white.
If people can self identify as the opposite gender, why can't people self identify as a different race?
It seems to me that the liberals are all accepting of people identifying as any thing they want. After all people should be free to choose... right?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:40 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I would like to see some proof that most AA's are descendents of slaves. It seems most blacks are all put out because they are slave descendents, but I would like to know how many really are.

You say Rachel is not black.. I agree, but the black community defended her when she was exposed as being white.
If people can self identify as the opposite gender, why can't people self identify as a different race?

LOL at the bold.

Where do you think they came from if most are not the descendants of slaves? lol

FYI (via ETA) I do a lot of genealogical research on my own family and on random people who know it is an interest of mine and who ask me to look up their families too. I have never looked up a family for someone, and I have done it over 100 times for black Americans, who have not had a majority of their ancestors as formerly enslaved persons in this country.

In my own family, I was surprised to find that I have a long line on my mother's branch who were free people of color (on her maternal grandmother's side of the family only). And they were from PA, which gradually abolished slavery starting in 1780. I have traced them to the 1790s and am pretty certain that initially they were slaves as most black Pennsylvanians were but I may be wrong depending on how the research turns out. All other branches were enslaved persons and I have extensive records,even plantation and taxation/probate records to prove as such. When I look up genealogy I can usually very easily trace a family back to the 1870 census. Prior to that and other methods are usually needed. If someone's black ancestor is listed on the 1870 census and weren't on any census records from 1860 or earlier, then they are descended of slaves. My family, due to stating they were born in Ohio and PA, I knew were not slaves and FWIW there were larger free black communities in the south versus the north (especially in LA) but 90% of all black Americans are descended of enslaved persons.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:46 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,136 times
Man, this topic seems to come up again and again.

Well op its basically like this: African American and black refers to the descendants of American slaves and the ghetto culture they have created in the states.

Over the centuries during the Trans Atlantic trade, negro (like Slav centuries before) became synonymous with a slavish, servile state.

Some groups and individuals, even if they are around the complexion of a brown paper bag and then some, who are not connected with that slave history and heritage often don't identify with those terms.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:58 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
That's because according to the laws of political correctness, any term used long enough eventually becomes derogatory and will have to be replaced.

"Negro" used to be the acceptable, politically correct term. Ever heard of the UNCF ? "Colored" was also considered politically correct. Know what the NAACP stands for?

With time, African-American will probably have to be replaced with some other term so that the sensitive minded don't have a heart attack.
Agreed and us "crackers" just keep using good ol' "white" to describe ourselves. LMAO.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:00 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL at the bold.

Where do you think they came from if most are not the descendants of slaves? lol

FYI (via ETA) I do a lot of genealogical research on my own family and on random people who know it is an interest of mine and who ask me to look up their families too. I have never looked up a family for someone, and I have done it over 100 times for black Americans, who have not had a majority of their ancestors as formerly enslaved persons in this country.

In my own family, I was surprised to find that I have a long line on my mother's branch who were free people of color (on her maternal grandmother's side of the family only). And they were from PA, which gradually abolished slavery starting in 1780. I have traced them to the 1790s and am pretty certain that initially they were slaves as most black Pennsylvanians were but I may be wrong depending on how the research turns out. All other branches were enslaved persons and I have extensive records,even plantation and taxation/probate records to prove as such. When I look up genealogy I can usually very easily trace a family back to the 1870 census. Prior to that and other methods are usually needed. If someone's black ancestor is listed on the 1870 census and weren't on any census records from 1860 or earlier, then they are descended of slaves. My family, due to stating they were born in Ohio and PA, I knew were not slaves and FWIW there were larger free black communities in the south versus the north (especially in LA) but 90% of all black Americans are descended of enslaved persons.
90 percent? That might be higher because like you said; the descendents of both slaves and "free persons of color" many times DID intermarry or at least have kids together.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:17 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
90 percent? That might be higher because like you said; the descendents of both slaves and "free persons of color" many times DID intermarry or at least have kids together.
Dude the population of slaves and freedmen was vastly larger than the population of free men of African descent in the states.

Now when you go into Latin America and the Caribbean the proportions can change.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post

It seems to me that the liberals are all accepting of people identifying as any thing they want. After all people should be free to choose... right?
Yeah, well my acceptance only goes so far.

If you're not black, I don't accept you as an African American.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:30 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yes. He should be called South African-American.
Then you need to be more specific as to all African origins? North African American, Western African Americans, etc? SILLY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies