Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 07:43 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
But would you refer to white people as Americans? Do you see the inherent bias against blacks in the U.S.?
If there were a news story on tv about a group of black men from New Jersey ended up dying in a bus accident in Spain and a coworker asked, "Was there something in the news about a bus wreck?", I'd respond, "Yes, it was in Spain, and some Americans died."

I hope that gives you some insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, what will you call black people who did not come from Africa?
Sticking to my tongue-in-cheek narrative, I guess I'd have to call them "non-African Africans."

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm not trampling on anyone's right to happiness or their liberty.

But if you're not black, you're not an African American.

This ain't hard to understand.
Only if you ignore logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I have NEVER heard ANY WHITE golfers from Africa called African-American. Hmm, I wonder why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_golfers
Do black people born, raised and living in Africa refer to themselves as African-American?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 08:07 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,237 times
Quote:
You're white. Be happy with that and stop trying to be cute.

Evolution is what it is, but this isn't about evolution. You're not an African American in any way. Wanna be Asian or some other group...fine. That's between you and them.

But THIS? No. You can lay no claim to it whatsoever.
If Rachel Dolezal can be African American, so can I.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:20 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Spartacus, I was all ready to get on here and agree with you..... until I looked it up. Looks like desertdetroiter is actually right, although from what I've read, the term "African American" can't just be designated to someone just because they are black, they also have to be descendants of slaves. Even the dictionary says he's right.

“African-American†refers to descendants of enslaved Black people who are from the United States. The reason we use an entire continent (Africa) instead of a country (e.g., “Italian-Americanâ€) is because slave masters purposefully obliterated tribal ancestry, language and family units in order to destroy the spirit of the people they enslaved, thereby making it impossible for their descendants to trace their history prior to being born into slavery.

Ask the White Guy: Is a White Person From Africa an African-American? - DiversityInc

So, say a white guy from Nigeria moved here. He'd be referred to as a "Nigerian-American", not an African-American
So what about blacks born in America that are not descendents of slaves? How does one know if they are descendants of slaves? It seems presumptuous to me.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:59 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,835,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I call them "black". I will never use the term "african-american".
I always say black. Another person's delusion is not mine.

Incidentally, a Hispanic lobby group representative called me to ask me a number of political opinion questions. Started with how I identify: Latino, Hispanic, Spanish, Mexican, etc.etc. I said American. They were puzzled and asked for confirmation. I said Yes. They had no further questions.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I'm just saying that the term is popularly associated with black Americans"

I have NEVER heard ANY WHITE golfers from Africa called African-American. Hmm, I wonder why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_golfers

What I find ironic is all the work done in MLK's time to end segregation and soon after it happens many blacks INSIST on segregating themselves by using the term.

I thought they wanted inclusion.

I guess I was wrong.
No...we don't want inclusion. We're already included. This is OUR country too.

That inclusion nonsense is your self flattery talking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
If Rachel Dolezal can be African American, so can I.

Nope. No chance.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:14 AM

632 posts, read 932,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If there were a news story on tv about a group of black men from New Jersey ended up dying in a bus accident in Spain and a coworker asked, "Was there something in the news about a bus wreck?", I'd respond, "Yes, it was in Spain, and some Americans died."

I hope that gives you some insight.

I like your answer. Unfortunately, for many people American = white and everyone else is living in this country is defined by a hyphenated name (i.e. Asian-Americans)

Old 08-05-2015, 10:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
And I am saying that if the theory of evolution is correct, which says that all humans originated in
Africa, then every human on Earth can trace their lineage back to Africa by default.

Also, there are many "white" Africans who have lived there for generations that are very certainly African. Certainly more so than someone who has never been there, who has literally no clue who their ancestors were in Africa, and who has not had ancestors in Africa for hundreds of years, as is the case with nearly all "black" people in America.

The leftist PC racists do not get to make this determination. There are practical matters here that trump their racially divisive PC agenda.

Also, the idea that we are divided into different races based on variances in our skin pigmentation is patently absurd. There is only one race, the human race.
But we DO get to make this determination and the decision has already been made.

African Americans are the black descendants of slaves, and it's not an inclusive club.

Nothing you say can change that fact.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:17 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
No.

But I'm laughing at the discovery of all these white African immigrants that everyone on the thread knows all of a sudden.

It's like millions of white Africans just showed up on our shores since this thread started.

White friends from Africa that live in America? Ehhh...not really.
Why is that funny? I'll tell my African America golf buddy that him being here is funny if you tell me why.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:17 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,839,727 times
What happens when you run into the white dude that was born in South Africa?
Would it be silly to call him African American?

Old 08-05-2015, 10:20 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Using that logic, quite a few folks from India and Sri Lanka would qualify as "Black." Similarly, someone born in Egypt and living in Canada (which is part of "North America") would be "African American," instead of "Egyptian Canadian."
This is true. Born in Africa and living in America = African American. However, most people mean "USA" when they say "America".

Quote:
Actually, these folks would be "Afrikaner Americans," "Rhodesian Americans," etc.
No, they are African Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies