Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Going after planned parenthood will damage the republican party.
Yes 20 58.82%
No 13 38.24%
Other or Unsure 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:56 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times

Advertisements

So it seems apparent that some in the Republican side are hoping to use the planned parenthood defunding as a wedge issue. I mean looking at it historically this seems like a great idea, and a return to some of the roots of the Republican party.

But is it a trap? I think thats what some in the Republican leadership believe. While historically its been a great wedge issue. Unfortunately I think attitudes and beliefs arent what they used to be, and this may turn into a wedge issue, but not in the Republicans favor. Its hard to say for sure, but I suspect thats why Boehner has said he wants "facts first".

If so I think that Boehner will act to have fetal tissue donations ended in order to avoid a larger confrontation that will harm the party.

What do people think? Trap or opportunity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 12:58 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Add a poll.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:05 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Add a poll.
Excellent idea. Done! Thanks!

Old 08-04-2015, 01:24 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So it seems apparent that some in the Republican side are hoping to use the planned parenthood defunding as a wedge issue. I mean looking at it historically this seems like a great idea, and a return to some of the roots of the Republican party.

But is it a trap? I think thats what some in the Republican leadership believe. While historically its been a great wedge issue. Unfortunately I think attitudes and beliefs arent what they used to be, and this may turn into a wedge issue, but not in the Republicans favor. Its hard to say for sure, but I suspect thats why Boehner has said he wants "facts first".

If so I think that Boehner will act to have fetal tissue donations ended in order to avoid a larger confrontation that will harm the party.

Defunding and cut backs are great, handpicking who you want to defund is not. It's a trap.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:40 PM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Wasn't it a dem who said, "NEVER let a crisis go to waste!"?

Old 08-04-2015, 01:43 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I heard on the radio that planned parenthood gets 1/4 of its funding from the federal gov. which is $400,000,000 million. Where do they get the rest?

I think the outrage that PP sells harvested body parts from aborted babies is equally horrifying to Dems and Reps.

It might be a trap. Obama is pretty slick, while the Republicans are outraged he will slip something past them like the Iran deal or the latest restrictions on power plants.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
This should sum this up.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:30 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times

Old 08-04-2015, 02:42 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
It's a trap because very few people outside the traditional antis care about it. They are going to spend oodles of time on the issue though.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:50 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
My favorite Republican blogger says:

The Planned Parenthood Video Scam Will Backfire

Quote:
The activities the Planned Parenthood representatives discussed are not merely legal in the sense that “there’s no law against that.” Their activities have been formally standardized and regulated by a specific federal law passed in 1993, supported by major figures on the Republican right. Nothing anywhere in the videos runs afoul of that law or any other. The only crimes featured in those videos were committed by the people who illegally filmed them.

Why did prominent, hyper-conservative Republicans support the legal framework Planned Parenthood is using for these donations? Because it’s an outstanding idea.

[...]

After forty years of increasingly desperate and even violent anti-abortion activism, public opinion on abortion remains right where it was when the Supreme Court issued its opinion in Roe v. Wade. More than 80% of the American public opposes the absolutist abortion position being forced onto Republican candidates by abortion activists. That’s an enormous majority. You can’t assemble an 80% consensus in favor of chocolate ice cream.

It gets worse. A solid majority of Americans under-55 identify themselves as “pro-choice,” roughly the same percentage that has held that position for decades. That includes a third of Republicans. Picking a fight on ground you are bound to lose is a suboptimal strategy.

These Breitbart tactics are fantastically self-destructive. It’s one thing to be unpopular. It’s another thing altogether to be an unpopular *******.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies